• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fergus Henderson's "Nose to Tail" Cookbook

bourdain

Mrs Woman

Please consider adding New Orleans to the list. I could provide a space filled with local art for a signing and know several people who own indie book stores. I would be delighted to provide complimentary dinners and could help find reasonable lodging. April is a beautiful month to visit the Crescent City!

Lafcadio

erm Lafcadio, I would love to help you but I have nothing to do with this! I just reprinte the list from a newsletter I receive from the restaurant.

But if you still want to give me complimenray dinners, then I'm there :biggrin:

Yes :blush:, and it was a joy. After another copyeditor had attempted to translate the ingredients and measurements into American, I was asked to check it over and clean it up. NOT, I can assure you, to change Fergus's voice -- that would be sacrilege! But to figure out what the first copyeditor had not been able to, such as that "green bacon" was unsmoked, not moldy; that silverside = bottom round; strong flour = bread flour; and in spite of what Recipes Into Type might say, golden syrup is ONLY golden syrup and one cannot substitute light corn syrup without disastrous results. Needless to say, I am eternally grateful to various British eGulleteers who answered my plaintive cries for help. And so, I think, will anyone here be who gets the book, since now we should be able to make some of those yummy creations.

And btw: I was working from a copy of the original as published, and found a few errors in it; with luck, those may be cleaned up in the re-release.

Will the US version have any pictures in it? I still cannot figure this out. On the st John website they clearly say that the UK re-release will have new pics by Lowe. I am assuming the US version will have whatever the first UK version had so were there any pics in the original?

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

It confusing about the photos isn't it? Here's my best guess - yes the original version of the UK book "Nose To Tail" had photos by Jason Lowe. Jason has re-shot the pictures, I imagine at the behest of the American publisher. Therefore the American version will have the revised text for the US market and probably the new pictures, whereas the UK re-print will have the original text and the new pics. Whatever, there should be pictures in it one way or the other.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from London and I struck out, time and time again, looking for copies of Fergus' book. Books for Cooks, Hatchards, Charing Cross Road and nearly every bookshop I passed in hopes that some, obscure little shop might have a copy tucked away on the cookery book shelf. No such luck.

But I had an awesome lunch there yesterday. Had to have the roasted marrow bones which lived up to all the hype from all you folk who frequent the joint (speaking of "the joint", I LOVE their space!). What I didn't realize was that my dining partner is squeamish and she had to look away as I scooped and scraped the marrow onto my bread! Then I REALLY shocked her by ordering the braised squirrel! Never again will I go to St John with such a wimp!

And the puddings ARE awesome. I had the rhubarb jelly, Jersey cream and shortbread. Refreshingly light but fully indulgent as well. Oh, to get cream like that here in California!

As for the book, the search continues via the internet!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

. . . Therefore the American version will have the revised text for the US market and probably the new pictures, whereas the UK re-print will have the original text and the new pics. . . .

Chef did rewrite a bit, but not much. The only thing I had to do with the text was make sure the conversions from metric to US were correct, change the names of ingredients from British to Merkin, convert a few out-and-out Britishisms (e.g. "wayhey") and correct any errors I found of whatever sort (including errors in the original :blink: ; I forget which recipe had them, not many though). But I can attest that the American version is NOT a bowdlerization. If anything worse happened to the text, it was after I finished copyediting.

(For the record, I was not the first copyeditor on this project. But whoever WAS, didn't know that "strong flour" is our bread flour, and that you ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT substitute light corn syrup for golden syrup -- or that golden syrup IS available here. Just to mention 2 of the egregious errors I had to fix.)

Hi all! Happy to make my first post! Hopefully one of many (until I get fired for lack of productivity).

There was an interesting write-up in the Chicago Tribune about St. John's and the adventure of finding organ meat in Chicago. The article also includes a recipe taken from the upcoming "Nose To Tail" for roasted bone marrow and a schedule for Henderson's upcoming visit to Chicago. Registration is required.

I Can't Believe I Ate The Whole Thing

Here's the news about his visit:

Henderson will be in Chicago in April for several events. He will sign copies of his cookbook from 6:30 to 8 p.m. April 15 at Trotter's to Go, 1337 W. Fullerton Ave. And he will give a lecture to the Culinary Historians of Chicago at 10 a.m. April 17, at the Chicago Historical Society, 1601 N. Clark St. Free for members; $10 for nonmembers. For reservations, call 815-439-3960, or go to RSVPchc@yahoo.com.

Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about.

Troy McClure, hosting the film, The Meat Council Presents: Meat and You - Partners in Freedom

• 3 weeks later...

IT'S IN THE STORES!!!!! (Be still, my heart! :wub: ) I saw it at Powell's on Hawthorne (books for cooks and gardeners) in Portland, OR last Saturday, 3/27.

edited to add:

Click here to find Fergus's touring schedule, amidst other information from HarperCollins.

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

CA, IL, and NY only.  Poop.

So order it from Amazon: Maiden attempt at making eGullet Amazon link. :cool:

EDIT to add: and it worked. :shock::shock:

I meant where he's visiting. They have it at Powell's here in Portland.

I pulled one my pork bellies (from Pierre's pigs, mentioned in trillium's terrine thread) out of the freezer. Now I have to decide whether to make boiled belly and beans or brined pork belly, roasted.

Jim, you mean you'll actually cook from it not just read and be amazed. :smile: Looking through it, that's a book I actually wish was a coffee table book. I'd love to have some big pics.

Mine came today! (I'd ordered from Amazon 2/15).

I pulled one my pork bellies (from Pierre's pigs, mentioned in trillium's terrine thread) out of the freezer. Now I have to decide whether to make boiled belly and beans or brined pork belly, roasted.

Jim

I ordered it around the same time and it barely shipped yesterday (along with Peterson's the Duck Cookbook) :angry: . I already have marrow bones in the freezer ready to be roasted.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

The cover seems to be the same porker as Jane Grigson's Charcuterie and French Pork Cookery (the classic pig book in my book). That's one popular, good-looking pig. I take it Henderson's book has more than just pig in it. The squirrels in the Botanic Gardens better watch out... :raz:

1902304888.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg:cool:

PS

Edinburgh

Are the photos incorporated into the pages (and thus hidden) or non-existent in the U.S. version? I flipped through a copy this weekend but didn't see any photos. Makes me think I'll wait for the UK version.

Just got an 8:30 reservation at the Chez Panisse menu / book-signing event next Monday ( 4/12)

The Monday Menu List currently lists a rabbit thingy, but the receptionist said it would be a four course meal (instead of the usual three) featuring offal recipes from the book. Better be, I'm not driving 300 miles for parsnips....

Oh am I looking forward to this! Didn't check with the husband, didn't go down babysitter list, just got our reservations.I'm going to this come hell or high water.

Will report back

PS They had a 6:15 for 2 open if anyone else wants to go

I received my copy yesterday and I have to say I was surprised a bit. After hearing about the lovely photos and the reshoots, I was expecting more in the way of graphic design and appearance.

That being said, I'm still happy I bought it. The recipes and writing style are great.