• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC Vegan Restaurants

Stone

My friend's wife is vegan. He's driving himself nuts trying to find restaurants they can eat at. Where are the good vegan places in Manhattan?

All I can think of is Zen Palate, and I'm not even sure that's vegan.

Zen Palate is completely vegan.

Souen (E 6th. St @ 3rd Ave.) is good though it's been a while since I've been there. I've also heard good things from friends about Red Bamboo (W 4th @ 6th Ave.), though I've never been there. Not sure, though, that either of these are completely vegan, if that's what you are after.

I miss Zenith, which was on 8th Ave. @ I think 53rd. and was vegan--they could do some amazingly tasty things with various meat analogs, mainly seitan.

Good luck with your search.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but I hear that Gobo on 6th Ave near Washington Square Park is pretty great (the white bean+cremini casserole was specifically recommended to me). I couldn't find anything on the menu that was not vegan, but the website seems to use 'vegetarian'.

I would say avoid Quintessence, which is completely vegan, raw food. I had a bad meal there, but some other people have liked it. There's a thread on it, which I'm too lazy to link at the moment.

There is a chain called Vegetarian Paradise or VP2, that has chinese food with fake meat, if you're into that stuff.

I think a lot of indian food is vegan, or has vegan options like Madras in the East Village.

Hangawi has vegan Korean food.

Also, if you call in advance, I think Bouley will make a vegan tasting menu.

Angelica Kitchen is another option, but I think the food there is really bland.

There's the Candle Cafe which I've never been to.

There's a place that has really good vegan pizza in the east village, but I forget the name.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure I'll think of more. I would also suggest checking Zagat for vegetarian and vegan, since most vegetarian places have vegan options.

Edited by ErinB (log)

I haven't been to Caravan of Dreams in a long time (since they canned a jazz group of friends of mine that I used to sit in with), but I think they're vegan or at least vegan-friendly. They're on 6th St. between 1st and A.

Michael aka "Pan"

There is a chain called Vegetarian Paradise or VP2, that has chinese food with fake meat, if you're into that stuff.

I ate at Vegetaian Paradise once, it was okay. In Chinatown there is also House of Vegetarian, which I have not been to but have heard is good. Not sure how strictly vegan these places are.

I think a lot of indian food is vegan, or has vegan options like Madras in the East Village.

A lot of Indian food is made with dairy, and ghee is often the cooking fat. So you can't just assume.

There's a place that has really good vegan pizza in the east village, but I forget the name. 

Viva Cafe, and I think they have several locations in the city.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

A lot of Indian food is made with dairy, and ghee is often the cooking fat. So you can't just assume.

Madras Cafe is very conscientious in listing in the menu which dishes are made or can be made vegan. Vegans have nothing to worry about there.

Michael aka "Pan"

Moopheus, Thanks, I should have clarified my statements a little better. At most vegetarian indian places in NYC there will be vegan options.

And, even most non-vegetarian, you just have to ask.

Stone, it just depends on how picky your friend's wife is. I had a friend who was vegan, who wouldn't eat at any place they served meat. And, in addition to that, she preferred to eat at completely vegan places.

Another vegan friend, didn't care one way or another and it was very easy to find food for her at most asian restaurants.

There's the Candle Cafe which I've never been to. 

I occasionally have lunch at the original location (75th and Third) since it's right near my design school. I'm no vegan but I've had some very good meals there. The new location, Candle 79 (79th and Lex), is promoted as more of a fine dining experience. If I get a chance to try it this week I'll report back. Here's their website.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

A terrific entry into Vegetarian dining is Counter Restaurant, in the East Village between 6th and 7th sts. This looks totally unlike a veggie place, no granola bars here-- looks like an upscale bistro, lots of organic wine selections as well, and a very creative menu, it can please non-vegetarians as well.

Counter

105 First Avenue (6-7)

212-982-5870

I have a friend who likes the Vegetarian Grill, on 1st between 7th and St. Mark's. (Caveat: My friend describes herself as a non-gourmet and also likes Virage, which I think is nothing, as well as good places I've taken her to.) I haven't tried it. Has anyone here?

Michael aka "Pan"

Kate's Joint

58 Avenue B

New York, NY 10009

Good fake dogs, and disco fries! (the fries aren't vegan). I believe that much of their menu is vegan, however.

Teany

90 Rivington St

New York, NY 10002

Moby's own place. My BF likes the Teany club sandwich, which is vegan. They also have cheese sandwiches, plus the usual array of (vegan and non-vegan) tea snacks, like scones and muffins. This is more like a tea/coffeehouse than a restaurant, but the sandwiches are pretty good, and the tea selection is amazing. Plus, they have the best vegan cheesecake in NYC!

(I'm totally not the person to be a sucker for something like vegan cheesecake, but for realz--if you're feeling guilty about a big dinner, and you still want something like cheesecake, Teany's vegan cake is really amazing, texture-wise and everything. Fresh berry garnish. Mmmmmm.)

• 3 months later...

I have 2 friends going to NYC the weekend of the 4th of june.

One is a vegan , one is not, both love good food and wine. Can you please suggest some places that would please both at various budgets.

Thank-you

Moderator's Note: Two threads on vegan restaurants in New York were merged here.

Edited by Pan (log)

Some previous threads might give you some ideas:

fabulous dinner with a vegetarian, in nyc, fabulous food for a veggie and omnivore

Vegetarian In NYC, Creative Vegetarian Cuisine in Manhattan

Vegetarian friendly rec. needed, Chinatown

That last link is a couple of years old, but feel free to ask some specific questions about any of the places named in those threads. Most of the people who participated in all three threads are still here.

Michael aka "Pan"

I recently had a very nice dinner at Mo-Bay (125th and 5th)--they have good Carribean/soul food and decent barbecue, yet all the sides are meat-free and they have an fairly extensive menu using seitan. Entrees started at ~$10.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Last night, I went to gobo on 6th ave near 8th street. I think it may be a good spot for your friends .. they bill themselves as vegetarian, but I didnt immediately notice any dish that wasn't vegan. I am neither vegan nor veg, but enjoyed the food quite a bit. Their menu is divided into quick bites ($4-8), small plates ($6-9) and large plates ($8-16). The meal began with a hearty wheat or cranberry bread with a sweet potato spread. My friend and I then shared a quick bite of roti canai, a small plate of cremini+white bean casserole with a cilantro crust, a large plate of grilled oyster mushrooms+asparagus, and a side order of yam+yucca fries. I have a small appetite, so most people would need to order a bit more than that .. but i felt stuffed. Although my friend really liked it, i didnt care for the white bean casserole but thoroughly enjoyed all of the other dishes .. the grilled mushrooms were especially delicious. They have an extensive selection of fresh fruit juices, teas, and other healthy type drinks made w/ fresh fruit+veg. They have a short beer+wine list (~10 bottles each of white+red, ~5 of each are available by the glass) with several appealing choices, although im not an expert! Gobo has a cool website with the full menu+some version of the wine list .. but i can't seem to find the darn thing right now. We ended up spending $27 each, after tax+tip, for the above food+2 iced passion fruit green teas.

I haven't been to Zen Palate in years (since my days of dating a veggie), but if my memory serves me correctly, I think that gobo is a far better restaurant, without contest. Being a bit cynical, I was originally put off by their 'Food for the five senses' subtitle and the vegan/veggie thing. But im really glad i tried it and plan to go back!

Edited by baw (log)

THere is a newish place in the east village/alphabet city called Counter, they have vegetarian and vegan entrees. I saw the menu and eventhough I love meat, I would try eating there. The space is very chic and the menu is pretty creative,,,, dont know the exact address, but you can do a search on citysearch and find it!

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

also Hangawi is amazing, they have vegetarian and vegan, Its Korean though. The space is absolutely transporting! its on 32nd and madison.

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

Being a bit cynical, I was originally put off by their 'Food for the five senses' subtitle

Yeah, what's with that? Did they appeal to your sense of hearing?

In addition, the fusion style of the menu would prompt some doubt from me. But I appreciate your positive review, as I've looked at the place skeptically on many occasions.

Michael aka "Pan"