• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Screw Atkins

bloviatrix

It seems like there's been a backlash against bread and all other wonderful carbs in media as of late due to the "Atkins Craze." But today at lunch I had two thick slices of pumpernickle raisin bread slathered with Plugra. I sat at the table with a goofy grin on my face because bread and butter makes me happy.

And so, I feel a need to stand up proud and say "I love bread!" Who wants to join me in the love fest?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I'm not too popular with my Atkins co-workers because I just bought Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Bread Bible and have been baking and bringing bread to work. I was never a big bread eater, but the more I get told to eat less carbs, the more I crave bread. Plus I recently discovered Beurre d'Isigny.

Funny, just last night as I picked up a loaf from my local fancy-pants bread bakery, I was thinking much the same thing: damn, this is good stuff.

Also wondering: has Atkins hurt the artisanal baking industry much? Doesn't look like it from where I sit, but what do I know...

But Bloviatrix, you're in no apparent danger of becoming fat. I love good bread, too, but people do have different body types.

Trust me, I realize people have different body types. But I chose a provocative title for this thread in order to get people to read it.

:shock::laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Trust me, I realize people have different body types. But I chose a provocative title for this thread in order to get people to read it.

Well, it worked. :laugh::raz:

Michael aka "Pan"

Funny, just last night as I picked up a loaf from my local fancy-pants bread bakery, I was thinking much the same thing: damn, this is good stuff.

What type of loaf did you buy? Did you eat it straight or with a schmear of something?

:biggrin:

Muffins, all by themselves. Anytime.

Warm sesame-seed bagels with cream cheese and nova lox and tomato and a slice of raw for lunch.

Scones with tea for breakfast.

Toast from a sliced oblong of fresh white bread, buttered, spread with pink grapefruit preserves.

Onion-and-cottage-cheese 'gems' baked in muffin pans, served warm with dinner at home.

Gorgeous caraway-seeded light rye before dinner at The Berghoff.

Cornbread with chili.

Oh yeah. I can finish work today: dinner's coming.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

For me, low-carb often just means only eating bread if it's especially good. There's so much crappy bread out there, why bother? Also, when I go out to eat and a place is serving Pearl Bakery or Ken's (Portland artisinal bakeries) or in-house breads, I just eat the crusts. It's my favorite part anyway. My wife always eats the soft middle, which is the part she likes.

My best friends Mom made the Best homemade bread when I was a kid...mmmm....

One of the best breakfasts I've ever had was in a Paris hotel - a fresh baguette, fresh Real butter and cafe au lait. Heaven

Austrian Sunflower bread from Cafe Beaujolais bakery. They also used to do a chocolate bread with chocolate chunks. Stunningly good.

Real bagel and schmear

The little rolls made in Austria with butter and their whole apricot jam

Garlic bread made with any good artisinal bread, topped off with reggiano, run under the grill.

Those sesame seeded, chewy round rings of bread sold on the streets in Greece.

Good bread and Good butter is the perfect whoops-I-drank-too-much midnight munchy food. Preferably with homemade blackberry jam.

Cornbread slathered with honey butter.

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

OH YEAH...all things bread...I can't even think of any I don't like. Even wonder bread's got a place and time. I would not consider going fishing without a whole loaf of pickle/pimento loaf made up and put back in the bag, along with 4 pimento cheese sammies in there.

OH YEAH...all things bread...I can't even think of any I don't like. Even wonder bread's got a place and time. I would not consider going fishing without a whole loaf of pickle/pimento loaf made up and put back in the bag, along with 4 pimento cheese sammies in there.

Fishing where and for what?

Heels of bread, buttered, and in a bag are wonderful out on the lake in a tin boat...

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Even wonder bread's got a place and time.

I couldn't agree more. When baiting your House Sparrow trap, to give the Martins and Tree Swallows first choice at the nesting gourds, nothing beats Wonder Bread.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Right on.

As I said in another thread, "moderation in all things" is the key.

Give up crusty Italian bread? Swear off De Cecco pasta? NEVER!!!!!

You'll have to pry that pasta fork from my cold dead hands....

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Fishing anywhere, at anytime, for anything. I'm far more familiar with southern fish and fishing, but this year SO and I will be doing much more. Last summer he was too busy with fire duty for us to go. We're only about a mile north of the Yellowstone River here, but the place we're buying is only a few miles from a small lake. My SO's cousins run a boat ramp at Holter Lake, at a location outside Yellowstone Park called Gates of the Mountains.

I have been known to fish with no hook on the line if I am comfortable enough and the gar were around. :smile:

Real bagel and schmear

The little rolls made in Austria with butter and their whole apricot jam

Garlic bread made with any good artisinal bread, topped off with reggiano, run under the grill.

Those sesame seeded, chewy round rings of bread sold on the streets in Greece.

Good bread and Good butter is the perfect whoops-I-drank-too-much midnight munchy food. Preferably with homemade blackberry jam.

Cornbread slathered with honey butter.

lala, you rock. Stick around will you?

Couldn't have said it better myself. I especially agree with the drunken toast with jam theory. Mmmm mmm.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad