• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Callebaut couverture--what do you think?

TrishCT

I've never, ever, liked it Trish--at least the standard formulations which are carried all over the country. Jacques Torres told me once that he tasted some excellent formulations at their main plant when he visited, and that they are capable of blending some superior couvertures--but I've never tasted them.

The Callebaut stuff that's available to most pastry chefs in the distribution channels--with numbers like 811 or 835--is also the stuff that gets broken up and sold bulk-retail to supermarket shoppers--is lowest common denominator stuff--not quite dreck but close. When I first started in pastry, before Callebaut subsumed Cacao Barry--I always thought Cacao Barry tasted and performed much better for the money. For its fairly cheap price point, Callebaut is too thick for a supposed "couverture," it doesn't melt as well as it should, is pasty, dull and somewhat burnt. I'd compare against the Cacao Noel and E. Guittard lines--which I find comparably-priced, much more fluid, flavorful and interesting.

The main thing Callebaut has going for it is inertia--it has become a huge conglomerate, its Callebaut brand has been in wide distribution for a long time and it was most likely the first chocolate a chef or pastry chef or cookbook writer used. Old habits die hard.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

I've never, ever, liked it Trish--at least the standard formulations which are carried all over the country.  Jacques Torres told me once that he tasted some excellent formulations at their main plant when he visited, and that they are capable of blending some superior couvertures--but I've never tasted them.

The Callebaut stuff that's available to most pastry chefs in the distribution channels--with numbers like 811 or 835--is also the stuff that gets broken up and sold bulk-retail to supermarket shoppers--is lowest common denominator stuff--not quite dreck but close.  When I first started in pastry, before Callebaut subsumed Cacao Barry--I always thought Cacao Barry tasted and performed much better for the money.  For its fairly cheap price point, Callebaut is too thick for a supposed "couverture," it doesn't melt as well as it should, is pasty, dull and somewhat burnt.  I'd compare against the Cacao Noel and E. Guittard lines--which I find comparably-priced, much more fluid, flavorful and interesting.

The main thing Callebaut has going for it is inertia--it has become a huge conglomerate, its Callebaut brand has been in wide distribution for a long time and it was most likely the first chocolate a chef or pastry chef or cookbook writer used.  Old habits die hard.

I guess that's why Gourmail charges $39.95 for 5kg of Callebaut or Cacao Barry vs. ~3 kg of Valrhona or El Rey.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I agree wholeheartedly. I bought the 5kg block of 70% and no matter how gently I tried to melt it, the fat ALWAYS separated out. Using it in a ganache was out of the question. Enrobing...forget it. I resorted to only using it in mousses, where the taste and texture could be sufficiently masked.

Never again.

Edited by kthull (log)

I have had pretty good luck using the 70% as a ganache for inside truffles. The difference in price is admittedly a major attraction, but it melts OK, blends well with the butter and cream, cools off and shapes nicely, and tastes very nice. I made a much larger batch than I could have afforded to with the Valhrona Manjari 64% I have been using recently because it costs 33% of what the Valhrona does. Now I should say the last time I was in Austria there was a little chocolate store than sold chocolate bars that were from single source cocoa beans. All from the same farm or region. Now I would love to experiment cooking with those...

Ditto what everyone else said. I don't like Callebaut (except, oddly enough their white chocolate, which I find easier to work with than others). For me the best quality/price ratio is Cacao Barry's single origin line.

Just to drop in on this subject.....

I use Callebaut (Belgian) for alot, unfortunately due to price. The Cocoa Barry which I have used for so long is $1.00 more a pound and when you own your own business that is alot. I am still sourcing for better prices. I agree with all the negative points on the product but I am in the business to make money and provide my customers with a tasty product. You will never catch me giving in to using brands like Merkens, hersheys etc.....

So for my respect for my peers. I guess I'm selling out alittle.......

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Just to drop in on this subject.....

I use Callebaut (Belgian) for alot, unfortunately due to price. The Cocoa Barry which I have used for so long is $1.00 more a pound and when you own your own business that is alot. I am still sourcing for better prices. I agree with all the negative points on the product but I am in the business to make money and provide my customers with a tasty product. You will never catch me giving in to using brands like Merkens, hersheys etc.....

So for my respect for my peers. I guess I'm selling out alittle.......

Hey, that's why I use Cacao Barry. I'm just lucky that where I am I can get it cheaper than Callebaut. If cost weren't an issue I'd be using Valrhona.