• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Par-Boiling Ribs?

Stone

One of the reasons I don't bbq ribs is because they take so long to cook.  Someone once told me that the cooking time can be cut in half by par-boiling the ribs.  She put on a large, 5-gallon pot of water and when it boiled, dropped in the ribs for about 5 minutes.  Supposedly, this not only reduced the cooking time, but loosened the meat from the bones making them easier to eat.

Any thoughts on this?  Also, would you add salt to the water?

Boiling ribs is guaranteed to cut down on the cooking time.  Usually it is for more than just 5 minutes though.  Simmering for half an hour will guarantee falling off the bone tender ribs.  The added benefit of boiling ribs is that it prevents the taste of the BBQ sauce from being overwhelmed by the flavor of pork.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

My brother's former roommate used to boil (braise actually) them in beer before finishing on the grill. If you can't slow BBQ them like in the south, this seemed like the best way to make them really tender and flavorful. You just crisp the outsides on the grill then baste with sauce shortly before serving. The pre-cooking can be done hours to days ahead of time, helpful if you are serving a crowd in the summer.

Quote: from tommy on 3:43 pm on Jan. 14, 2002
Quote: from markstevens on 3:30 pm on Jan. 14, 2002

The added benefit of boiling ribs is that it prevents the taste of the BBQ sauce from being overwhelmed by the flavor of pork.

hhmmmm.  i'm not sure that that's a good thing necessarily!

Actually this was said wth tongue planted firmly in cheek!  For my actual thoughts on BBQ check out my smokin' website at:

http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens/fun_with_fire/outdoor/outerfire.html

=Mark

Quote: from markstevens on 3:52 pm on Jan. 14, 2002

Actually this was said wth tongue planted firmly in cheek!  

i thought that seemed a little strange coming from you.  although, which could you live without if you had no choice but to give up one:  BBQ sauces, or pork.  hmmmm.

No debate!  The ribs and pork butts I BBQ are usually done "nekkid."  Some sauces are offered on the side, but proper BBQ does not need them.  Tender smokey juicy ribs AKA "bacon on a stick" are not improved by sauce.

Ham's substantial, ham is fat

Ham is firm and sound.

Ham's what God was getting at

When He made pigs so round

----- Roy Blount Jr.

=Mark

My Life Partner, who is Dominican, likes to par boil just about any kind of meat she plans to roast or bake in the oven.  Especially big joints of pork for the party dish perniz.  I am always worried that the meat will toughen up if it boils, but it seems to work.

Quote: from markstevens on 4:22 pm on Jan. 14, 2002

No debate!  The ribs and pork butts I BBQ are usually done "nekkid."  Some sauces are offered on the side, but proper BBQ does not need them.  

right.  but you do love your sauces!!!  errrr, dontcha?  hoboken eddies at the very least.

I won't shy away from them.  One of my favorite sandwiches is to take a mound of pulled smoked pork shoulder, a couple slices of jalapeno jack cheese, some thinly sliced fresh onion and a splatter of Hoboken Eddies Mean Green sauce and load onto some buttered rye bread, then grill on both sides till browned and the cheese starts to melt...

=Mark

I always simmer pork ribs for an hour in plain water (which when skimmed and strained makes a great stock) before marinating the ribs in sauce (mushroom shoyu, oyster sauce, tomato paste, garlic, mustard, chiles, salt and pepper) and roasting them covered in foil for 40 minutes at 400 F.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I'll add my rib process which we like a lot.  You make a brine with water, white vinegar, salt and red pepper flakes. Soak the ribs in this for a few hours, or overnight.  Drain, roast in a low oven basting with the marinade when you think of it.  After a couple of hours, daub with barbeque sauce several times over perhaps a 45 minute period.  (At the moment, my family is partial to bull's eye extra spicy, I'm embarrassed to admit.)  I could live my whole life without 'que, but these are seriously good.

eGullet member #80.