• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One very British dinner in London?

RandyB

I haven't been to London in 25+ years, although I frequently visit Paris. On our way from Paris to Prague this April, my wife and I are detouring for one night (and a day at the Tates) in London.

I'd like to take my wife to some thoroughly British restaurant, like Simpson's. She loves good beef and I adore mutton. I also know what properly made Yorkshire pudding is like, but that's optional. I have no idea if Simpson's is any good these days. It is about as pricey (or more) than we'd like.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. (Also for a great fish & chips shop for lunch near either Tate.)

a day at the Tates

Tate Modern is a must but Tate Britain has the dreariest permanent collection on show just now. However, the El Greco exhibition opens that the National this week - I've heard its astonishing so I'd do that instead if your are time limited.

I would second the vote for St John - either St John.

Or alternatively Anchor & Hope in The Cut -- a short walk from Tate Modern. Very similar to St John but gastropub style. I had a great braised ox cheek and celeriac mash there on Saturday.

Tarka - better go quickly as word is getting around. On Friday night we went pre-theatre and it was full by 6.45pm (with names being taken for tables from about 6.30pm). When we left at 7.15pm we (almost literally) had to fight our way out through the pub side.

Still, the cassoulet for two made it all worthwhile.

i love that review. i really have to go now. don't think i can put this off for much longer.

I'm in, if you + Jack need a dining companion. We could do early doors one night - or lunch?

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

St. John is wonderful, and maybe essential during a London visit nowadays, but its food is a fantasy of what traditional British food was, or should have been. Wilton's food is probably more authentically traditional, and the setting is certainly more comfortable. It's like dining in someone's stately home.

I just went to Rules for the first time, and it was fine but Wilton's is very much better --but a fair bit more expensive of course. The people watching is great at Wilton's too -- you can learn a lot about traditional English tailoring by having dinner there.