• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cognac XO Quality continues to decline

budrichard

We all know that a Grand Fine Champagne cognac of 40 years ago has now gone upscale so that even most XO cognac's are not of that quality. But the bottle of Remy Martin XO that we just finshed with has set a new low in XO coganc's. I have had comparable quality VSOP's and the VSOP's of today are generally only good for cooking or mixers..

We are currently working on Hennessy's single distillery cognac's and have started with the Izambard. This is a nice cognac with a smooth taste, pleasant and certainly better that the Remy Martin XO. There are two others in the series that we have and I just wish I could justify a blind tasting by opening them all at once but we just don't drink that much cognac to justify doing that. -Dick

"supposedly" Hine Antique XO ~ $75 is a good example of a an XO, according to another thread here.

Its currently my favorite Cognac.

$75 would be a -very good- price for it. Under $90 is what you should expect to pay for it these days.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

"supposedly" Hine Antique XO ~ $75 is a good example of a an XO, according to another thread here.

Its currently my favorite Cognac.

$75 would be a -very good- price for it. Under $90 is what you should expect to pay for it these days.

AMENDED: BEST PRICE FOUND: $85.99 :biggrin:

on bottle: Hine Antique vintage fine champagne cognac which i assume is "The XO"??

Edited by jgould (log)