• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Okra

Mayhaw Man

Brooks, should we disqualify people who haven't even given the pod a chance? :raz:

Nope. Everybody gets to vote. Even the ignorant.

Okraland is a truly democratic society. We welcome everyone and everyone gets to participate. (behind the scenes, OIA agents are working hard to tally the naysayers as we will be keeping them under careful observation-as hatred of okra probably indicates some other behavioral and social issues that may be bubbling below the surface -we like to think of it as "okra profiling")

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Definitely yes.

Grew up a DamnYankee and never tasted okra until I was older and had moved to the South.

Fresh okra has become one of the joys of spring.

Pickled okra, fried okra (even the frozen stuff in the bag works OK), okra in tomatoes is fantastic.

Wonder how okra in Rotel would taste? Just thought about it and have to try it.

Okra may not be something that a fine restaurant would choose to serve, but it makes fine eating, at least for this ex-DamnYankee.

Yes, though not necessarily resounding. I had nothing but fried until I tried my first gumbo as a teen. My husbnd's Arab grandfather introduced me to Chicken with Okra, which I love.

No doubt, okra has it's slimy characteristics - much like the slimy canned asparagus and limas my mother tried to serve me as a child.

Read on OKRA, AN OUTCAST IN A STICKY BUSINESS

Edited by hazardnc (log)

of course yes!

what's not to love about this divine pod?

most indian kids love this veggie, including mine.

to echo several previous posters,

people who hate okra or think its slimy

have never had indian recipes,

and / or they just can't cook!

give it another shot folks, with a GOOD

indian recipe, and use fresh, never frozen okra.

milagai

A very enthusiastic YES!

Yum....in a fish curry, in bhindi bhaji...

I've never had a fried one yet though...

There's deep-fried southern US style: sliced,

coated in breading, and deepfried. pretty good.

also indian style: slit, stuffed with a spice mixture,

dipped in a chickpea-rice-flour-buttermilk batter and

deep fried. heavenly! has to be eaten straight out of the pan

though. you can also do some kinds of fish this way.

milagai

Yes.

If fresh. Gumbo -- yeah, yeah. And A. makes the most wonderful bindi ... I think bharta. :wub:

Also, once I started cooking okra for myself, I realised what my very favourite bits were in childhood bowls of Campbell's alphabet soup -- yes, you guessed it, the little okra slices! I used to save those and the lima beans to eat for last.

Nope.

Here in the Pacific Northwest US, we can get "fresh" okra. But I think it may have that 'not so fresh feeling.' Others have said that frozen is crap, and I suspect that the locally available "fresh" okra is comparable to supermarket 'tomatoes' (basically, don't even bother). I don't really have enough experience to make an informed decision.

Okra is one of those things that people love to screw up. Keep it simple. Buy small (2") fresh pods. Just before cooking, cut off the stem end. Moosh the pods around on a dinner plate which you have sprinkled liberally with kosher salt and pepper. Drizzle with good olive oil. Cook briefly on a very hot grill pan or cast iron frying pan. That's it. Good stuff.

eGullet member #80.

Okay, I thought I would give okra another chance. I ate lunch at a local Indian restaurant (Tandoori chicken rocks!) and had their okra dish.

Couldn't get past the slimey texture...

I'm still a loud "NO".

Perhaps okra is the new cilantro (you either hate it or don't). :raz:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

It's hard for my to give you a yes or no.... it's rarely available here fresh... and I have NEVER seen it on a menu here.

BUT:"Chicken Gumbo Soup I use fresh okra in this recipe, but if you can't find it, you can use frozen. Don't be alarmed by the somewhat slimy juices that the okra gives off. All of the sliminess will disappear as it cooks."

I did find it when I was testing recipes for my book, (above is a quote) and loved it in the soup. I would never use the frozen stuff for anything BUT soup.

Now I'll have to be on the lookout for it and try it some other ways..

I guess that makes me a YES