• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Okra

Mayhaw Man

Sophie says... NO!

Since stuffing the ballot box with the dearly departed seems to be accepted...

The incomparable Sophie the basset wouldn't touch okra. It was one of the few vegetables that she would absolutely reject. A little bowl of my mother's gumbo would be licked clean with the okra slices (also licked clean) left in the bottom of the bowl.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Yes!

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Not just no, but NO, that's icky, are you out of your f***ing mind??????

*ahem*

No.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Okra is Delicious. I've always loved it.

Try putting a pocket-slit length wise, stuffed with fish paste (I think it's finely blended fish, salt and a little starch). Then you Boil it in stock.

DELICIOUS

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Sam's golden rule of food #1: never eat something that can be described as mucilaginous.

And I say: mucilaginalicious!

Yes.

Andrew: YOU I like.

Sam: :angry:

Wait, he says "mucilaginalicious" and you like him better than me?! Aw, jeez... :sad:

:biggrin:

--

Most expubidantly (that's yes).

A perfect meal:

i428.jpg

Okay, I gotta know... What's on the sandwich?

Cole slaw and hot sauce, of course. What else do you put on a barbecue sandwich? :raz:

what the hell? Okra should be GREEN not BROWN

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

[what the hell? Okra should be GREEN not BROWN

Pickles man! Just one of the many delicious disguises this pod often wears. :raz:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Sam's golden rule of food #1: never eat something that can be described as mucilaginous.

Yes.

Wait, he says "mucilaginalicious" and you like him better than me?! Aw, jeez... :sad:

Only because he's right and you're wrong. :laugh: I'm not sure I would apply "mucilaginalicious" to natto, though. :huh:

At least you and bergerka agree. :wub:

Have the ferrets ever tried okra? I'll be they'd look adorable holding it in their little paws, turning it around and trying to figure out what to do with it.

Pickled = :wub:

Raw = :wub:

Stewed/Gumbo = :wub::wub:

Fried = :wub::wub::wub:

Have I left anything out?

:laugh:

Jamie

P.S. Wazzup with all these people downing offal at every opportunity but who won't eat okra? :blink:

P.P.S. Saute sliced okra in a bit of oil and all the mucilage disappears magically. Okra and tomatoes prepared this way is delicious and mucilage-free :smile:

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Yes.

Only because he's right and you're wrong. :laugh: I'm not sure I would apply "mucilaginalicious" to natto, though. :huh:

At least you and bergerka agree. :wub:

Have the ferrets ever tried okra? I'll be they'd look adorable holding it in their little paws, turning it around and trying to figure out what to do with it.

Judging from the ferrets' taste, I'd think they'd look at us like we were crazy and then roll it around with their noses for a while and then dump it in the litter box. :biggrin:

Ok, I'm sorry, I know de gustibus non disputandem est, but the idea of okra AND fish paste makes me want to hurl. Slimy PLUS fishy? :blink:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous