• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Celery

Huevos del Toro

• 3 years later...
sliced raw celery, vinaigrette with shallots and walnut oil, crumbled blue cheese, chopped toasted walnuts. raw celery cut in matchsticks, vinaigrette with olive oil and lemon juice, salt-cured anchovies, briefly refreshed. let's not be closed-minded.

Some good friends made a lovely winter salad with celery for us this weekend:

escarole, walnuts, and sliced celery with a walnut oil/wine vinegar vinaigrette.

They used a blend of walnut oil (La Tourangelle's, a great California product), mild olive oil and canola oil. Celery and walnuts are a very fine combination!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Celery is an essential ingredient in my mother's recipes for both tuna salad and bread dressing.

Tuna salad, I can improve on. But the mushroom and celery dressing, uh-uh.

Now I'm thinking what about some sort of soy-ish walnut butter in the little celery canoe instead of peanut butter?

Chicken soup without celery is like . . . bread without butter.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I am weird about celery - I love the strong aroma of it - it is clean, strong and refreshing but I hate the taste of it. BLECH. The aroma can just set me off but I just don't like the taste of it.

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.