• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vin d'Orange

bleudauvergne

53 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

The recipe you linked us essentially the one we used to make literally dozens of gallons of vin d’orange.   Originally from French m-I-l of Lucy Vanet(?) on France forum , early eGullet.   Exquisite product!   

We used vodka.   A bonne maman would use unflavored alcohol, available at French grocers.

Thanks!  This topic starts off with that very recipe from @bleudauvergne's husband's grandmother but it's attached as an image that doesn't seem to be accessible anymore. Good to know this one is similar. 

10 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks!  This topic starts off with that very recipe from @bleudauvergne's husband's grandmother but it's attached as an image that doesn't seem to be accessible anymore. Good to know this one is similar. 

Here you go

• Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Hmmm.  Just saw that note about "not to use plastic containers as it causes the wine to do strange things and explode the tops off the bottles once it's been bottled."

Mine is currently in a polypropylene Cambro which I thought would be sufficiently inert.   Maybe I need to buy some big glass jugs. 

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

Hmmm.  Just saw that note about "not to use plastic containers as it causes the wine to do strange things and explode the tops off the bottles once it's been bottled."

Mine is currently in a polypropylene Cambro which I thought would be sufficiently inert.   Maybe I need to buy some big glass jugs. 

Could you save your empty screw-top wine bottles?

I use those for my eggnog.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lindag said:

Could you save your empty screw-top wine bottles?

I use those for my eggnog.

I have a nice stash of wire bale/swing top wine bottles that I also use for eggnog so if the concern is only for bottling, then I'm good. 

I was afraid the warning also pertained to the 30-40 day period before the fruit is strained out but maybe not.