• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I bought some Seville oranges from the farmers market last week with the intention of making marmalade but haven't gotten around to it and started looking around for other uses and Vin d'orange came up.

I just set up an approximately 1/3 scale batch of Vin d'orange using this recipe from Samin Nosrat and rosé wine. 

That post makes me interested in trying a red wine version using this recipe from @bostonapothecary.  

@Kerry Beal, I see that it calls for an eau de vie.  Do you recall what sort you might have used? I know it's only been about 10 years...🙃

Kirschwasser seems like it might go well with the red wine flavors. 

Most of the Vin d'orange recipes I see online just use vodka or high proof neutral spirits so I'm sure I can do that but was curious if there was something else that might make it more special. 

The recipe you linked us essentially the one we used to make literally dozens of gallons of vin d’orange.   Originally from French m-I-l of Lucy Vanet(?) on France forum , early eGullet.   Exquisite product!   

We used vodka.   A bonne maman would use unflavored alcohol, available at French grocers.

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

55 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I bought some Seville oranges from the farmers market last week with the intention of making marmalade but haven't gotten around to it and started looking around for other uses and Vin d'orange came up.

I just set up an approximately 1/3 scale batch of Vin d'orange using this recipe from Samin Nosrat and rosé wine. 

That post makes me interested in trying a red wine version using this recipe from @bostonapothecary.  

@Kerry Beal, I see that it calls for an eau de vie.  Do you recall what sort you might have used? I know it's only been about 10 years...🙃

Kirschwasser seems like it might go well with the red wine flavors. 

Most of the Vin d'orange recipes I see online just use vodka or high proof neutral spirits so I'm sure I can do that but was curious if there was something else that might make it more special. 

The recipe you linked us essentially the one we used to make literally dozens of gallons of vin d’orange.   Originally from French m-I-l of Lucy Vanet(?) on France forum , early eGullet.   Exquisite product!