• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jamiacan Blue Mountain Coffee and Cabrito

FoodMan

I was really fascinated by your essay about Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee in the book and specifically about the funny/sad dilemma of the English coffee grower who is literally sitting on a mountain of the best coffee in the world but would not sell a pound of it since he cannot dictate his price. Are there any new developments with this individual? Is he still growing and storing his coffee?

Is there anywhere in Houston you go to for great Cabrito?

Thanks for sharing your time and knowledge with us.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Alex Twyman finally won the right to sell his coffee. But his son was shot the same day in a drive-by shooting.

Thanks to the courage of Alex, you can now buy estate Blue Mountain coffee direct from growers. Google "estate Blue Mountain coffee" and you will find several to choose from.

I like the cabrito at Hidalguense on Saturday.

Alex Twyman finally won the right to sell his coffee. But his son was shot the same day in a drive-by shooting.

Thanks to the courage of Alex, you can now buy estate Blue Mountain coffee direct from growers. Google "estate Blue Mountain coffee" and you will find several to choose from.

I like the cabrito at Hidalguense on Saturday.

OK - I admit it. I had no idea who you are. But I read that story somewhere (don't think it was in a book - I recall a magazine - and I also recall an anti-government regulation slant). And it included the part about his son being shot. Great story. Do you have any idea where I might have read it (and whether you wrote that particular piece)?

Blue Mountain coffee is great. In fact - it's the only thing I liked about Jamaica. But it isn't the same when you buy the "10%" stuff in the US. Robyn