• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to get grease marks off outside of pan?

ip

I have a set up Demeyere cookware and some hot oil spilled out of the skillet onto the outside of the pan. The oil stains don't come off, even with the Demeyere cleaner that has worked great in the past.

I uploaded a picture of it in case that helps.

Anyone'>http://www.magicalcheese.com/uploads/pan.jpg

Anyone

know if Demeyere has a good reputation (it was a very expensive set)? I tried emailing the company and I'm waiting for a reply.

Thanks for any help.

It's an excellent company, and those stains should come right out with regular detergent and a stainless steel scrubber, like this:

pc0028.jpg

Let us know if that doesn't work. There are more aggressive solutions available too.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

You can also try Orange Glo Power Paste, as seen on TV! :)

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

i took fat guy's advice and searched out these little scourers.  they work like a charm.  i actually found them at a King's supermarket.  2 for 2.50 or something silly.  the brand was o cedar.  they have a website, but it doesn't seem to include these scourers.

thanks!  and my pots thank you.

The only thing I'd add about those scourers is that you need to be sure only to use them on stainless or cast-iron pots. If you use them on aluminum or non-stick, forget about it. Don't use them on your dishes, counters, or anything like that. They will rip pretty much anything but stainless or cast-iron to shreds. That's why you rarely hear anybody recommending them, even though they work so well.

Steven, I agree with those pads ripping everything into shreds, but ... and here is the "but":

If you use the ones AMWAY distributors sell, you will have superior product, hardly shredding and most of all not "really scratching" your utensils. I have used on good china. (Did not let my wife see it while using)

Peter

I'm completely unfamiliar with the whole Amway phenomenon. How do I obtain one of these items? The Web site is quite cryptic.

Steven. And a phenomenom it is, but keep your ears open when with the ladies. There has to be someone in your circle of friends who knows about it, or better yet, is a distributor (or knows one). Could send an email to their contact site, asking for one nearby. My wife swears by their products, qualitatively and economically. Sample is shaving cream, a can lasts me six months. Do you need to change threads?

Peter

I have so few friends, I can say with a high degree of certainty there are no Amway distributors among them. I think it's not really a Manhattan thing. But I want to learn more, that's for sure, because my shaving cream budget is way out of line.

YES, grease on the outside of a pot, frying pan, or

roasting pan is a good candidate for some of the

toughest nonmetallic stuff around!

The time I wanted to get that stuff off the outside

of an aluminum deep fat fryer, I used something

abrasive enough to leave lots of scratches in the

aluminum.

Often wondered what solvent would work.

Tried the usual ones, acetone, rubber cement

thinner, and some others, and didn't get anywhere.

The stuff's TOUGH!

As I recall, long the standard ingredient in paint

remover was methyl chloride.  Hmm?

So, typing "methyl chloride" into Google and taking

the first hit at

http://www.who.int/pcs/cicad/summaries/cicad_28.html

see some really tasty remarks such as

"Methyl chloride is clearly genotoxic in in vitro

systems in both bacteria and mammalian cells.

Although the positive effects seen in a dominant

lethal test most likely were cytotoxic rather than

genotoxic, methyl chloride might be considered a

very weak mutagen in vivo based on some evidence of

DNA -- protein cross-linking at higher doses.

Testicular lesions and epididymal granulomas

followed by reduced sperm quality lead to reduced

fertility in rats at 980 mg/m3 (475 ppm) and to

complete infertility at higher doses.

Methyl chloride induced heart defects in mouse

fetuses when dams were exposed to 1032 mg/m3 (500

ppm) during the gestation period.

Effects on humans, especially on the central nervous

system, can be clearly seen after accidental

inhalation exposure.  In short-term exposure of

volunteers to methyl chloride, no significant

effects were seen that could be attributed to the

exposure.  There are insufficient epidemiological

data available to assess the risk for humans to

develop cancer as a result of methyl chloride

exposure."

So, better use it outdoors, when no one from the EPA

or NYT is watching, and use rubber gloves, a

chemical suit, and a breathing apparatus.  And, on

what to do with the rinse water, can't say!

Seems a lot just to wash a pot.

There has to be a better way.

What would be the right food and wine to go with

R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?

Like everything in life, tommy, it's a compromise.  BKF is less harsh but also less, um, scrapy than a scouring pad.  So try BKF first and if you're not getting anywhere by the time your hand curls into a claw from excessive scrubbing, switch to the steel.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

The way professionals (dealers in antique and retro copper, enamel, etc. cookware) remove burnt on grease is oven cleaner.  You CANNOT use it on aluminum or bare cast iron, but it is the method least abrasive to a polished stainless, copper or enamelled pan.  It is essential that you follow the instruction on the can to the letter, both in regards to ventilation, gloves, etc, and regarding the surfaces on which it can be used.

I have used it on le Creuset, Desco, allclad, hammered copper, antique "graniteware" enamel bakeware with glowing results.

eGullet member #80.

I just want to say thanks to everyone who responded. I couldn't easily find the scourer so I tried the BarKeeper's Friend alone with paper towels and it worked. It took some scrubbing but the stains are just about gone. I got a reply back from Demeyere that basically said that the stains occured due to overheating the skillet and they recommended using acetone while also saying that it will take a long time to remove. I used BKF instead so I'm not sure if the acetone works too.

Cheers! :)

When I've got difficult stuff to clean I use fine steel wool pads that are called "Brillo" in the UK and Steelo in Oz. The wool is pretty fine, and is good on steel & cast Iron, but should not be used on non-stick or enamel. I don't have any aluminium pots so I don't know about that. Can't find a product website though..

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

• 5 years later...
When I've got difficult stuff to clean I use fine steel wool pads that are called "Brillo" in the UK and Steelo in Oz. The wool is pretty fine, and is good on steel & cast Iron, but should not be used on non-stick or enamel. I don't have any aluminium pots so I don't know about that. Can't find a product website though..

You can find packets of steel wool in several grades of fineness in most hardware, paint stores or lumber yards. One used to be able to get it in the grocery store as a Brillo/SOS package with a bar of soap to use with it, but now they saturate the pads with soap and they don't work nearly so well.

They work well in conjunction with the powders.

And they work work on aluminum, too.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I just did all the pots and pans that I have using oven cleaner. If stainless steel works like a charm. If aluminum clad have to finish with some fine grit waterproof wet sandpaper. Then they come out like new. By the way I got some spray on a All-Clad pan with a black finish. Completely messed up the finish. I am tempted in removing it completely. Go-know.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.