• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Antonio to San Angelo and back

edemuth

Hi everyone,

Any recommendations for these two towns or the roads between? I'm doing a 10-day trip (2/12-21) to visit family and will be spending most of my time in San Antonio and San Angelo. I'm flying in and out of Austin, though, so if anyone is free for a late lunch or early dinner on Thursday, I'd love to meet up. I'm primarily interested in Mex (Tex-Mex, New Mexican or just Mexican) and anything you think I shouldn't miss.

Thanks, y'all!

Erin (Texan by birth)

Erin

San Angelo is famous for steaks. Some sort of special method of preparation. I'll have to do a little research and get back.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My flight does not land in Austin until 5:00pm on Thursday afternoon, so it is probably too late.

There are some wonderful options for you in East Austin, maybe 15 minutes from the airport. I'll let whoever can join you fill in the details.

East Austin for more authentic Mex, Curra's for Tex Mex. (I love Curra's.) The Oltorf location isn't too far from the airport.

amanda

Googlista

Jaymes, any help you can give on San Angelo. I am going in April for the National Ceramics Competition show at the museum. Too bad the Hiltons no longer have a hotel in the first town where they started.

Joiei

West Texan by birth

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Too bad the Hiltons no longer have a hotel in the first town where they started.

Yeah, I'm sure that Paris would find San Angelo really hoppin'. Too bad she wasn't conceived there. Then she'd be "San Angelo Hilton."

Doesn't have quite the same ring, does it?

I'll call my San Angelo bud and see what she recommends.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks, Mudpuppie and Jaymes!

NewYorkTexan, it turns out I will be staying in Austin overnight tomorrow night, so I could meet up with you for dinner at whatever time is convenient for you. Anyone else want to join?

Erin

San Angelo is no-kidding west Texas cattle country. The thing they're most famous for is steak. They have a special way of preparing it that calls for a garlic rub.

One of the most legendary old-time steak houses in all of Texas is the Lowake Steak House, which is a few miles northeast of San Angelo. In the not-so-olden days, in the big oil and big cattle money days when wealthy Texans were livin' large, they often flew their private planes from their ranches all over the state into Lowake's small airstrip, just to sample a nice, large, chunk o' beef.

When you ask folks about the best restaurants in them parts, they will invariably tick off a list of steak houses, beginning with Lowake. Others that are often mentioned are Ventner's; Ventner's Daughter's; and Twin Mountain Steak House.

Also, there is really good TexMex. Favorites are Fuente's; Original Fuente's; and, perhaps best, Armenta's.

Most often mentioned for "fine dining" is the incongruously named Peasant Village, where "it's ritzy and you need a reservation." They say that they feature "American and Continental cuisine, chops, seafood, and...you know...steaks."

Others mentioned were The Silo for "upscale bistro," and River Terrace, with an actual terrace overlooking the river, for lunches.

There's undoubtedly some really fine BBQ in San Angelo as well, but my favorite place, Bell Street BBQ, where I first set baby tooth to brisket, burned down years back. Although I've heard that Mule Creek BBQ is darn tasty. If I hadn't given away my latest copy of Robb Walsh's Texas BBQ book (as a birthday gift for my son), I'd look in there.

San Angelo is on the Concho River, and has a long and colorful past. It's a small town, but it does have a college, Angelo State University; a military base, Goodfellow AFB; and a historical site worth visiting, Old Fort Concho.

Oh, and Glenmore Elementary School, where I went from grades 1-3.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I like San Angelo, and I'm from Austin. I'll second Peasant Village.

Peasant Village - 23 South Park Street, ph: 915.655.4811

American, seafood and steaks; $12 to $20; dress casual.

Open for lunch and dinner.

------------------------------------

Also:

Harlow's - 532 West Beauregard Avenue, ph: 915.657.9392

Family café; American cooking, barbecue and steaks; $8 per person.

Mejor Que Nada - 1911 South Bryant Boulevard, ph: 915.655.3553

Mexican and American cuisine; $6 - $8.

Twin Mountain Steak House - 6534 US Highway 67 South, ph: 915.949.4239

Seafood and steaks; $12 to $20; dress casual.

Ichiban Japanese Steak House - 2412 College Hills, ph: 915.944.2926

Japanese fare and steaks; $20 and $30; carryout is available.

Taste of Italy - 3520 Knickerbocker Road , ph: 915.944.3290

Italian; $8 to $12

Cotton Patch Café - 4132 Sunset Drive, ph: 915.947.1316

Family style; Southern American food; carryout is available.

Thanks all for your help. I think I am all set for my adventure. I am also considering a quick side trip over to Big Lake, my place of birth. I haven't been there since I was 5 so that could be interesting. I can definitely go with the protein power lunch.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!