• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta Shapes

Fat Guy

• 3 weeks later...

I found the brand, Maestri, last week. Seems to be available but in the higher price category. Though it is close to 18 ounces. Last pasta meal, 8 ounces was way too much. Quite a bit left over but made a nice lunch snack.

Next time we make fresh fettuccini I'll try twisting it.

PASTA SHAPE FOUND.png

• Like 2

I love looking at all different pasta shapes and, in the past, I've purchased a lot, too.  But I've discovered that since I really don't care for pasta that isn't tender all the way through (not an al dente person), many shapes are just not going to be good to me.  I tend to stay with the smaller tube-shaped ones and with the stick ones - macaroni, all the spaghettis and the flat sticks, too.  Anything that has a fold is a hard pass for me.  

• Like 1

I wonder if she's ever made bigoli, which is also (originally) a buckwheat pasta, but extruded and requires a specific type of press. It's probably a major pain to make, but is classic with a ragu made from duck.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 months later...

Fileja, new to me. A Calabrian pasta that goes with a heavy sauce, apparently. Just durum wheat semolina and water, no egg. Quite toothy. Everyone loved it for dinner. I picked it up at TKMaxx, so who knows when I'll ever see it again? I would buy it again given the chance.

IMG_20220316_200655.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

New to me recently is Trofie. From amazon. Such a long cook time it produces so much starch for the sauce. Being so short it does not need much cooking water. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 12.56.23 PM.png

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can someone identify this pasta shape? This is from one of my favorite food YouTubers (sounds like a modern root vegetable). Mikey Chen AKA Strictly Dumpling. Normally his food tours trend toward Asian street food, but he's posted several videos recently from Italy. This shape looks fun:

1036886144_ScreenShot2022-07-29at9_00_41AM.thumb.png.bf8d74468fd9366636059bd139ba5cbb.png

Also, as a side note, this topic makes me a little sad, because it's one of the ones started by Fat Guy that still lives on. It was 15 years ago, living in India, when I bought his book and got hooked on eGullet. It was such a joy to follow him, as he'd talk about walking around to 'build up a calorie deficit' before a big meal. I still use that excuse! Sorry for the topic swerve.

• Like 4

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

• 5 months later...

Odd that spaghettoni, thick spaghetti, is not easily found. Not in Eatily, Supermarket Italia, iGourmet...I stopped looking when I found it on Amazon. Long cooking time. 15 minutes. 17.6 ounces. One package is 3 meals, 6 servings. We still have a bit of leftover. But a nice lunch with half avocado, ramen egg, olives, artichoke heart, parm....

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 12.05.22 PM.png

• Like 2

On 7/29/2022 at 12:05 AM, pastameshugana said:

Can someone identify this pasta shape? This is from one of my favorite food YouTubers (sounds like a modern root vegetable). Mikey Chen AKA Strictly Dumpling. Normally his food tours trend toward Asian street food, but he's posted several videos recently from Italy. This shape looks fun:

1036886144_ScreenShot2022-07-29at9_00_41AM.thumb.png.bf8d74468fd9366636059bd139ba5cbb.png

Also, as a side note, this topic makes me a little sad, because it's one of the ones started by Fat Guy that still lives on. It was 15 years ago, living in India, when I bought his book and got hooked on eGullet. It was such a joy to follow him, as he'd talk about walking around to 'build up a calorie deficit' before a big meal. I still use that excuse! Sorry for the topic swerve.

The bag I have says “Gigli”; Google also says “Campanelle’ and “Riccioli”. The shape is a bit ‘fussy’ for my taste but my 5 year-old granddaughter loved them. 

Edited by Midlife (log)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 7:24 PM, Midlife said:

The bag I have says “Gigli”; Google also says “Campanelle’ and “Riccioli”. The shape is a bit ‘fussy’ for my taste but my 5 year-old granddaughter loved them. 

Thank you!

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting