• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta Shapes

Fat Guy

When I go to a Chinese market, I enjoy walking thru the noodles isle.

Chinese - many many doodles made from different flour, they all taste different, but they all look more or less the same. All noodles.

Italian - Many many pasta shapes, but they all more or less taste the same.

dcarch

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dcarch said:

Chinese - many many doodles made from different flour, they all taste different, but they all look more or less the same. All noodles.

Chinese 'pasta' also comes in many different shapes. Some very similar to Italian varieties.

20201031_120639.jpg.084a1d3204d083e7ea7b2f8598688f68.jpg

蝴蝶面 or Farfalle?

20201031_120119.jpg.24398e4fe5e642f604756036ad49e16c.jpg

彩色蝴蝶面 or Coloured Farfalle?

20201031_120359.jpg.b21428388a32799e548379f1163b1c11.jpg

通心粉 or Macaroni?

20201031_120557.thumb.jpg.692d6d90e13c87d64faadddf50e53266.jpg

刀削面 or Maltagliati

These are just what I happen to have at home. There are many more.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Chinese 'pasta' also comes in many different shapes. Some very similar to Italian varieties.

I had no idea. Thanks. A day without a smidgen of new knowledge is like a day without sunshine. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

20201031_120639.jpg.084a1d3204d083e7ea7b2f8598688f68.jpg

蝴蝶面 or Farfalle?

20201031_120119.jpg.24398e4fe5e642f604756036ad49e16c.jpg

彩色蝴蝶面 or Coloured Farfalle?

20201031_120359.jpg.b21428388a32799e548379f1163b1c11.jpg

通心粉 or Macaroni?

20201031_120557.thumb.jpg.692d6d90e13c87d64faadddf50e53266.jpg

刀削面 or Maltagliati

These are just what I happen to have at home. There are many more.

In all these years I have shopped in Chinese, Korean, and Japanese markets, I have never come across those "pasta" except the last one.

I have not been to China recently, but those many times I traveled to China, I had never seen those either.

I have never seen any restaurant served those either

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

3 minutes ago, dcarch said:

In all these years I have shopped in Chinese, Korean, and Japanese markets, I have never come across those "pasta" except the last one.

I have not been to China recently, but those many times I traveled to China, I had never seen those either.

dcarch

Because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist!

They are everywhere!

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I confess that my objection to bowties is not about taste or texture, just shape. It looks stupid. Same for wagon wheels, whatever they are called in Italy. I used to buy lots of interesting shapes, but so often I would end up with a scoopful of various kinds taking up room in the cabinet and without a good purpose. What I always have on hand: DeCecco linguini fini and Rustichella d'Abruzzo penne, which I can buy in bulk. The penne is not too thick and cooks up with excellent texture. 

Oh, one more dislike: those fat ripple-edge lasagne noodles. I prefer using the thinner plain sheets. Dried is fine, but I discovered I can buy fresh sheets and that's really easy and quick to cook, plus I can cut them to fit my lasagne pan before boiling. And the edges crisp up after baking in the most appealing way.

• Like 2

Oh yes those wagon wheel and other kid oriented shapes - I bought at times including the colored ones. The latter just set them up for disappointment as the color fades and there is no discernable different taste. Shape added zip. Kids preferred spaghetti.  Messier but they figured it out. 

My favorite "flavored" pasta was spinach available frozen or dried from Fazzi's deli market off of Sunset & Western. Prominent spinach flavor. Seemed homemade - sometimes a bit of grit but made a heavenly fettuccine alfredo.  The width was  touch wider than what I see commercially and the chew was wonderful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Well, I like pasta in any shape, form, country of origin, type of flour made with etc.  Give me pasta, or give me death!

I like pasta too, all shapes except one.

I can't figure out how to cook bow tie pasta. The  center always getting uncooked because it's much thicker there.

dcarch

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dcarch said:

I can't figure out how to cook bow tie pasta. The  center always getting uncooked because it's much thicker there.

dcarch

This article popped back up on Food52 the other day and might interest you  https://food52.com/blog/24574-why-farfalle-is-the-worst-pasta-shape

• Like 1

Angel hair pasta is a divisive pasta shape. Carla of Bon Appetit, who is Italian, disparages angel hair pasta. I would have to agree with Carla on angel hair. Too skinny for thick sauces (hard to get a good pasta to sauce ratio). If you want to make a chunky sauce, you've got big chunks plus skinny threads of pasta: not a good match. Angel hair is maybe easy to overcook because it's so skinny. Step away from the pot and boom, it's overcooked.

I'm sure there are sauces that go well with angel hair, however.

All of this is stated in good fun, in case it didn't come across.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dcarch said:

dcarch

This article popped back up on Food52 the other day. You might get something out of it  https://food52.com/blog/24574-why-farfalle-is-the-worst-pasta-shape

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

Bucatini is a PITA.

Hard to fork

Splashes sauce.

I really hate Bucatini for the same reasons. I've seen restaurants in Rome give out plastic bibs (like the lobsters ones), which I find ridiculous. Just stop serving it. Problem solved. 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gfweb said:

Bucatini is a PITA.

Hard to fork

Splashes sauce.

Agree on the bucatini.

It's classic for all'amatriciana, but I've moved onto other strands, and even short tubes, for all'amatriciana. Which, if my memory serves me correctly, is how they serve it at Roscioli, in Roma...

DSCN1388.jpeg.cf21620f2867212d45e92ccca5bd7244.jpeg

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Bucatini is actually one of my favorite shapes. I just love its bite, mess be damned.

I also quite like wagon wheels (rotelle), I'll admit it's a "kid's pasta" and looks silly, but nostalgia plays a role, and I think it has a good bite as well.

Not a fan of farfalle, but it has its usages, mostly in less saucy pastas that eat more like a salad of sorts or perhaps in a stew (i.e. when it's a dish with pasta rather than a pasta dish), but then again, there are probably better shapes for this ass well.

And while I like penne, I do think it's overused, and often not suited to the sauce.

My favorites in not particular order are bucatini, wide flat pastas (anything from fettuccine to pappardella), rigatoni, ditalini, conchiglie (cavatelli is better, but less available), cavatappi and radiatori.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

~ Shai N.

I've never had the Amatriciana at Roscioli, but I've had the Carbonara. 

I personally love long pastas, but as someone said above, each pasta has its sauce. Love pappardelle too, Shain! We love pici, orecchiette, trofie, fusilli, conchiglioni, casarecce... to name just a few. Not a fan of penne.

For supermarket brands, I use Rummo or Garofalo. When they go on sale (usually to around 75 euro cents for 500 g), I stock up. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gfweb said:

Bucatini is a PITA.

Hard to fork

Splashes sauce.

I agree.  I thought I was going to love it when I started seeing it on cooking shows and when I finally found some I was underwhelmed.  Messiest damn pasta I ever ate.  I felt like a toddler eating their first bowl of spaghetti!

• Haha 2