• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolatiers We Like:

terrarich

Hello All,

In an effort to avoid the usual suspects this Valentine's Day I sought out chocolates for my wife that couldn't be bought at the major department stores. Not being able to find much in the culinary wasteland of Central Michigan I sought out sources in NYC. I flipped flopped between Payard, Torres, and La Maison, settling on Torres because my wife might at least be familiar with him and therefore somehow impressed with my effort.

Did I make the right call? I am interested in what others have to say.

Terrarich

Terrarich

Crashed and Burned Cook

Current Wannabe

Of those three I have only had the Torres chocolates, so I can't say if the others are "better" but they are certainly far better than anything you are likely to find in a department store. Every now and then I have to have some of his chocolate-covered candied ginger, that's pure bliss. Hmmm, maybe I will have to walk down there later, now that you've made me think about it. . . .

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Any state that is home to a company like Zingerman's can't be that much of a culinary wasteland. Torres was probably a fine choice. I ordered chocolates from LA Burdick in N.H. for my wife. Vosges in Chicago is another good choice.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I'm a big fan of Burdick's chocolates, as mentioned by docsconz. Really intense, deep chocolate flavors with unusual spices thrown in--but not gimmicky or overwrought. Plus, they're gorgeous. I just the other day finished the last of a little 1/4-lb box I bought myself. Now I'm sad.

She blogs: Orangette

While changing trains in Boston after Xmas, noticed a Serenade Chocolate shop in South Station.

I am a sucker for (a) dark chocolate and (b) hazelnuts combined with chocolate in almost any fashion. Serenade had some lovely looking dark hazelnut clusters. So I bought all that they had that afternoon(about 1/2 lb). Good move. Absolute heaven - deep chocolate flavor, &, thank goodness, not overly sweet, great touch of that bitterness which I personally enjoy.

Can't compare with any of those NYC chocolatiers cuz I've never had 'em. But I would go for anything dark from Serenade again in a nanosecond. And have no doubt that I will at some point.

SerenadeChocolatier

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Never had the Torres or Payard so I can't comment on them. The chocolates from La Maison du Chocolat are very rich tasting and come in a brown leatherlike classy presentation box.

My husband loves the chocolate covered cherries from Li Lac, also a NYC purveyor. And, despite the fact that they can be bought in a department store (but only one and that is the one in NYC), Martine's at Bloomingdale's makes divine chocolates.

Check out martineschocolates.com-- Now don't those chocolates look great? The "fresh cream" ones melt in your mouth.

Avoid like the plague Godiva's G line. Overpriced, overhyped, underwhelming.

Edited by TrishCT (log)

Just got turned on to chocolates from

BC McElrath out of Minneapolis

Wicked wicked wicked

Bet you can find them in Michigan or mail order in time for Valentines...

Faves:

Lavender and Black Peppercorn truffles...

Adam

Chef - Food / Wine / Travel Consultant - Writer

Hello All,

In an effort to avoid the usual suspects this Valentine's Day I sought out chocolates for my wife that couldn't be bought at the major department stores.  Not being able to find much in the culinary wasteland of Central Michigan I sought out sources in NYC.  I flipped flopped between Payard, Torres, and La Maison, settling on Torres because my wife might at least be familiar with him and therefore somehow impressed with my effort.

Did I make the right call?  I am interested in what others have to say.

Terrarich

You'll have to ask your wife (and me next week because my husband got me chocolates from Torres too this time around). He's ordered from several places before. We both like Vosges (I like the chocolates - he likes the web site). I like Maison but he doesn't (he says the web site is a mess and ordering on the phone is worse). And even if the chocolates and the web site are good - there's always the matter of shipping (I live in Florida and if chocolates aren't packed/shipped right - I'll just wind up with a pile of goo). Vosges and Maison are both good on that count. Let's compare notes next week. Robyn

Any state that is home to a company like Zingerman's can't be that much of a culinary wasteland. Torres was probably a fine choice. I ordered chocolates from LA Burdick in N.H. for my wife. Vosges in Chicago is another good choice.

I used to live in Ann Arbor, just a few blocks away from Zingermans. They used to carry a line of chocolates from the company in Evanston that has been mentioned in this thread. I now live an hour away (East Lansing) and can't make the drive as often as I would like.

I was really looking to buy direct from the chocolatier and not just a shop that carried chocolates.

Terrarich

Crashed and Burned Cook

Current Wannabe

Why not try making your own? You may not have the sam experience that torres does, but every experince i've had with food gifts is always better when they are made buy the giver. Your wife may feal the same way.

Try making my own? The funny thing is that I am currently a chef apprentice. I used to be a geographer, but followed my life's dream to be a professional cook. cooking used to be my hobby and my wife used to benefit from my pursuits, but now that I am actually cooking for a living I find very little time to cook at home anymore. I am supposed to work a certain amount of time in the pastry/bakery to satisfy requirements in my program, but there always seems to be a roadblock to my getting into the bakery.

Besides, I would love to sample the creations of a master like Jaques Torres and get my wife off of the Godiva bandwagon.

Terrarich

Terrarich

Crashed and Burned Cook

Current Wannabe

I recommend making your own. Making your own truffles is very easy. I have been dabbling in making truffles for awhile and just bought an 5KG block of Callebaut from choclatesource.com to use a base. It really wows people when you say they are homemade

Determining one best is always self-defeating. Of the more established players already mentioned--Torres, Payard, Burdick, La Maison du Chocolat--all are still essential choices, all with established lines. Skillful, clean flavors, professional, respectfully French, somewhat safe, leaning toward an American audience. I've bought them all, enjoyed them for different reasons, and will continue to do so. I also really like buying other professionals work--and to the list of the best I've had recently consider a few smaller startups--in the past year I've really enjoyed work from Wegmans/Pierre Herme, Drew Shotts, Pat Coston and this little outfit called Chuao. I found myself in Encinitas and found them--very good work, nicely enrobed. Here are their links:

https://www.wegmans.com/ocs/sweets.asp

https://www.chuaochocolatier.com/index2.html

http://www.theartofchocolate.com/

http://garrisonconfections.com/

Wegmans might pack the best punch overall with respect to price to value to quality.

I haven't had any chocolate mailorder from Robert Bennett of Miel Patisserie yet--but I'd trust the chocolate line and the pastry professionalism of this chef implicitly, if he were set up to ship:

http://www.mielpatisserie.com/index.htm

Haven't had Donnelly or Rechiutti in a while, and am not current with how commercial their lines may have become, but once upon a time their stuff was also very good--and they used very good chocolates, like Valrhona, El Rey and Sharffen Berger.

As far as some others, I'm neutral to indifferent, for various reasons, on Martines, Li-Lac, MarieBelle (even though Jacques makes it), Christopher Norman and buying from off-premise outlets--either due to pre-packaging, mishandling by poorly-trained counter staff, inadequate stock turnover, sitting on the shelves too long, using inferior chocolate (like CN using Schokinag.) Be careful--there can be old, dull chocolate out there. There are better options than these and/or more attractive pricing to be had. I also don't recommend Vosges at all. Better to look at for free, that way you don't have to wildly over-pay for fantastic package design housing inferior workmanship and gimmickry.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Kron Chocolates (Dianne only not Tom) in Beverly Hills sells chocolates that are supposed to lift the woman's libido. Never had them, but I like her overpriced truffles. The best deal here is to come into the store, eat up as much of the free samples as possible, and then leave.

But the sex chocolates are probably going to be popular for Valentines.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I also don't recommend Vosges at all. Better to look at for free, that way you don't have to wildly over-pay for fantastic package design housing inferior workmanship and gimmickry.

Just curious what you don't like about Vosges. I ran across the company for the first time in a boutique store in the Peninsula Hotel in Chicago (I was on vacation) - and I thought they were quite good - very interesting. When I had them for the first time - the featured collections were the St. Patrick's Day collection (for March) and the Green collection (for April). I've tried a couple of the other collections too - but the Green remains my favorite. Robyn

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I am thrilled to have such detailed and thought-out input on this matter. Hopefully I will never have to approach the Godiva counter again.

Terrarich

Terrarich

Crashed and Burned Cook

Current Wannabe

Tammy--do you buy them pre-packaged/mailorder or do you walk into stores and pick by the piece?

The first time I had them they were a gift, brought for me from a friend who'd been in NYC. I think he got a package - it had 16 Petites and 4 different kinds of tasting squares. We had a decadent New Year's Party to ring in 2003, and I ordered some more Petites from mail order then. There's no store near me, alas. And the last time I was in downtown Chicago I didn't realize that they had a shop in one of the department stores on the Magnificent Mile. I'd love to go in and pick some by the piece, if I get a chance.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Just a few more cents to add to the pile, a bit belatedly, I know.

For my money the best chocoatles are still those produced by la maison du chocolat. Torres is very good too, though I'm not a consistently fond of his flavors as I am of Robert Linxe's. Payard I haven't yet tried. I used to be quite fond of Li-Lac, but now that my palate is accustomed to high end chocolates I find I can't eat them anymore. I haven't tried Burdick's in ages, but I used to love them. The one I really don't recommend, though, is Richart. They used to be excellent, and their pralines still taste terrific, but their workmanship has gotten sloppy over the years. Pick up a few pieces and look at the bottoms - you'll find many poorly enrobed. For taht kind of money I expect perfection. Now I feel kind of guilty for complaining, because I'm not that expert at it either, but then I'm just a one-person operation, and my prices are much, much lower.

• 4 weeks later...

Said I'd report back. Here's the report. Worked my way through a lot of Jacques Torres since Valentine's Day. Have to say that my favorite is still Maison du Chocolat. And I like Vosges second. Torres is third. My number 2 and 3 rankings are mostly based on the fact that I like the flavorings in Vosges more than the flavorings in Torres. More interesting - more fun. Neither can beat out a Maison du Chocolat trrufle though. Robyn