• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Additional Uses for Rice Cookers

ellencho

• 1 month later...

I've just bought a rice cooker that's supposed to make perfect polenta, quinoa etc. gathering my courage to try. Any experiences out there?

I use mine for farro. I made oatmeal in it once but wasn't pleased with the result. 

So many Rice Cooker threads... I'm not a user, but was talking with a chap yesterday, who is, it turns out:  "What do you like to cook?" says I.  "I like to make spicy Asian stuff like Tom Yam Kun.  Also roast beef".  Oh, says I, "how do you make roast beef ?"

"Well", says he, "we don't have an oven, so I buy a piece of beef thigh (aka round, I guess?), sear it in a pan, then put it in the 炊飯器 / suihanki / rice cooker, and put it on "temperature hold" for about 20 minutes".  A piece of beef weighing about half a kilo / a pound or so, apparently.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now it has again come time to fix polenta.

I was/am still unsure of the amount of water to use for a given quantity of cornmeal, so I took the suggested amounts from this website:

http://www.nicolevanputten.com/2013/07/31/quick-polenta/

That is 2 3/4 cups water to one Zojirushi go of Bob's Red Mill cornmeal (which conveniently weighs 128 gm).  Based on the polenta recipe from The Romagnolis' Table I added two teaspoons of salt.  The Romagnolis' recipe calls for two cups of cornmeal and three teaspoons of salt.  Two cups would equal about three go, and thus one teaspoon of salt per go.  However I am using Diamond Kosher salt, which is a coarse salt, so I doubled the volume of salt to get two teaspoons.

Based on this thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144218-wolfert-no-stir-polenta/

I also added a pinch of baking soda.  Even though the NP-NVC18 claims to incorporate its own technology to alkalize the cooking water.  I hope it will not hurt.

Currently this slurry is resting in the Zojirushi bowl with a timer set for three hours...

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Oops.   The meat with which I planned to serve the polenta is still frozen solid after more than twelve hours defrosting in the refrigerator.

Will it hurt to let the cornmeal soak in the Zojirushi overnight?  I'm not sure why I am asking, as one way or another I shall almost certainly find out tomorrow.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Well, twenty four hours later I looked at my polenta.  It didn't look bad or smell funny, nor did it smell bad or look funny, so I cooked it through a porridge cycle.  All was well except the polenta wasn't firm enough.  The spoon wouldn't stand in it.  I discovered that one could stir, run the reheat cycle, stir, etc. until the polenta was quite thick indeed.

Success.  I don't think I've had better polenta.  I ate almost all of it.

• Like 1

Although I'm not a fan myself, I used to make porridge for DH in our Zojirushi rice cooker. He maintained that it was the best oatmeal he'd ever had.

The rice cooker is great for steel cut or "pinhead" oats - also steel cut barley which ordinarily takes a long time to cook and with "traditional" cooking always seems to retain a hard central bit. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 4 months later...

Well, twenty four hours later I looked at my polenta.  It didn't look bad or smell funny, nor did it smell bad or look funny, so I cooked it through a porridge cycle.  All was well except the polenta wasn't firm enough.  The spoon wouldn't stand in it.  I discovered that one could stir, run the reheat cycle, stir, etc. until the polenta was quite thick indeed.

Success.  I don't think I've had better polenta.  I ate almost all of it.

Using the above technique I made some very firm polenta.  It was delicious.