• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Additional Uses for Rice Cookers

ellencho

I was thinking the other day that aside from steaming foods and making plain rice, would it be possible to use a rice cooker to make rice dishes such as arroz con pollo or biryanis? These cookers work because they detect the change in temperature that occurs when water evaporates so when the temp in the cooker goes up it shuts itself off automatically. So if that's the case, wouldn't it be possible to cook a rice dish like arroz con pollo in it and eliminate the worry of burnt rice stuck to the bottom of your pot? Of course one would have to pre-cook the other ingredients in another pot before transferring to the rice cooker pot.

Has anyone else used their rice cooker in this manner?

Edited by ellencho (log)

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Yes! There's a quite good cookbook on this very subject --

The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook, by Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann. I don't know about their recipes with meat, but I've found them to be good, straightfoward, and reliable in their techniques for things like pilafs, cereals, and bean dishes. They're good, too, on the topic of what works with which kind of cooker, and why.

My National cooker has a slow-cook setting, which isn't discussed in the cookbook, but which is really great for all the kinds of things one normally makes in a slow cooker; it also has something called a Kamado option, which flummoxes me. What can it be for? If a kamado is a big ceramic barbecue thing, what on earth is its rice cooker analog?

(edited to fix url tag)

Edited by redfox (log)

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

something called a Kamado option, which flummoxes me. What can it be for? If a kamado is a big ceramic barbecue thing, what on earth is its rice cooker analog?

I can't imagine what a kamado option in a modern rice cooker would be, but it may help to know that the kamado bbq we have today is an adaptation of an ancient japanese rice cooker called a mushikamado

-michael

"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

I took a course last year in teaching writing to ESL students, and my teacher showed a demonstration she always uses to impress her ESL students. She made banana bread in a rice cooker. She assembled the ingredients early in the class, then let the bread cook while teaching how to write recipes in English. At the mid-class break, the bread was done and ready for sampling. It was delicious, surprisingly, though the smell of baking (steaming) banana bread did distract from the learning experience. Apparently she was taught how to do this while teaching English in Korea a few years ago.

In Japan a kamado is earthen ware vessel that was used for coking rice, just recently it has popped back into popularity and it is currently the "new" way to cook rice.

They look like this:

http://www.r-tsk.net/life/kamado.html

I can't see what purpose a kamado setting on a rice cooker, it sort of defeats the whole idea...

As to cooking things other that plain rice, the Japanese do it all the time. Takikomi-gohan is a mixture of rice and/or meat and vegetables that are all cooked together in a rice cooker, sometimes the meats and vegetables are sauteed before being added other times they aren't.

You might have to experiment a little to find out what works and what doesn't. I have never had good luck cooking Basmati rice in my rice cooker, it just doesn't turn out right. Japanese short grain and Thai Jasmine work wondefully though and I have made many dishes combining the rice, meat and vegetables all in the rice cooker.

One tip:

After cooking anything other than plain rice, make sure to clean the metal plate that is on the inside lof the rice cooker's lid. Otherwise the smells can linger and your next batch of white rice may have an off taste.

We very recently had a similar discussion in the Japan Forum of various uses for your rice cookers:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=36465

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 years later...

Oatmeal is one of the things that a Zo does real well. For steel cut oats or any oats just follow the package directions for ratios of water to oats, add a pinch of salt and push the regular cook button.

Steel cut oats you can set up the night before with the timer and have them ready in the morning.

The other oats like regular, thick cut or scotch porridge oats you should cook in the morning. They take longer to cook than on the stove top. On the other hand once they're in the cooker you can do other things while the its in the cooking cycle.

McCanns is good but I'm a big fan of Bob's Red Mill thick cut regular oatmeal with a mashed banana and a bit of sugar.

slow

What I found was...1 cup oats and 2 1/3 cups water with the porridge cycle. Someone mentioned using the porridge cycle with the pre-washed rice setting to help prevent boil over or letting the oats sit overnight in the water.

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try them out. I like the McCann steel cut oats. They're big and hearty oats but take a ton of time to cook properly.

Btw, any tips for getting great rice out of the Zo? THe directions leave a lot to be desired.

Thanks!

Joe

I am especially fond of Alford pinhead oats. In my opinion the flavor is better than McCann's.

I use a bamboo rice paddle or scoop but often turn the entire batch out onto a platter or shallow bowl.

Sometimes I spray the pan with Pam or similar (butter-flavor) spray if cooking brown or sticky rice.

However I found that the pan sort of "seasoned" itself after a few uses. Just don't use metal utensils.Alford oats

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 years later...

Over a stovetop, it takes around 30 minutes along with constant stirring to cook steel cut oatmeal. And, so I bought a fuzzy logic Sanyo ricecooker in part to cook the steel cut oatmeal for me so I could wake up to a pipin' bowl of oatmeal in the morning without all that time over a stovetop. But, so far, I've been disappointed with the results. The oatmeal cooked in the rice cooker never gives the same delicisious oatmeal as the oatmeal cooked over a stove top.

Does anybody have any hints or suggestions about how to cook oatmeal in a rice cooker that will be just as delicious?

A rice cooker may be more difficult than it needs to be. The easiest way I have found is to do the bring-to-a-boil-and-leave-it-overnight. In the morning it takes about 8 - 10 minutes to cook.

I usually cook my oatmeal in rice cooker and agree it's not as good as on the stove top (especially when the oats are toasted in butter first :wub: ) but they're still better than quick cooking oatmeal.

One thing that I find makes it a little better is to open the lid of the cooker after about 10 minutes and let it finish cooking uncovered. It will still need an occasional stir and it takes a bit longer that way, but it does make a difference.

I also tend to dress up rice cooker oatmeal and that goes a long way in making up for the slightly inferior flavour and texture. Then when I do stove top oatmeal I have it plain, in order to fully enjoy the oatmealyness of it.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Arrrr, but ain't there somethin' about getting up early and stirring, sweatin' over them oats? I used to make them every morning, but I haven't in awhile. I think I'm going to start again because of this thread ... mmm...

I used to soak overnight with a splash of kefir milk in the water (the enzymes are supposed to break down something to make the oats more digestible). Then, about five minutes before they're ready, toss in some dried cherries. Dollop o' butter on top, grade B maple syrup and a dash of kefir or yogurt on top. Sometimes I'd even sprinkle in flax-seed meal at the end for health -- and a nutty flavor.

Now that's breakfast!

I recently made steel-cut oats for the first time in a slow cooker. The second time was the way suggested on the box-- boil water and soak the oats overnight, then cook for 8-12 minutes the next morning. I definitely preferred the texture of the soaked oats. The slow cooker oats seemed to have a bit mushier texture-- not by much, but definitely a bit mushier. There was more moisture with the slow cooker oats too, which I imagine would have something to do with the totally closed environment. I assume a rice cooker would provide the same environment so maybe they both hold in a bit too much moisture. Although I could not complain about either one with a pat of butter, a dash of salt, some dark brown sugar and a splash of half and half!

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Uh, oh ... am I doing something wrong? When I make steel cut oats, I toast them slightly in a dry pan, add the appropriate amount of liquid (which usually comes to a rapid bowl when hitting a dry pan), slap on the lid and turn the burner down to the barest simmer for 18-20 minutes. No stirring at all until the end when I add in any salt or other goodies.

Is my oatmeal not being all it could be? :huh:

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Over a stovetop, it takes around 30 minutes along with constant stirring to cook steel cut oatmeal. And, so I bought a fuzzy logic Sanyo ricecooker in part to cook the steel cut oatmeal for me so I could wake up to a pipin' bowl of oatmeal in the morning without all that time over a stovetop. But, so far, I've been disappointed with the results. The oatmeal cooked in the rice cooker never gives the same delicisious oatmeal as the oatmeal cooked over a stove top.

Does anybody have any hints or suggestions about how to cook oatmeal in a rice cooker that will be just as delicious?

What *don't* you like in the finished product? If you are specific, maybe we can help.

I find my SC Oats, also made in a micom Sanyo, very similar if not better than stovetop ones.

Uh, oh ... am I doing something wrong? When I make steel cut oats, I toast them slightly in a dry pan, add the appropriate amount of liquid (which usually comes to a rapid bowl when hitting a dry pan), slap on the lid and turn the burner down to the barest simmer for 18-20 minutes. No stirring at all until the end when I add in any salt or other goodies.

Is my oatmeal not being all it could be?  :huh:

I thought that was the right way too (only I usually add butter when I toast the oats). I've read that stirring makes the oats mushy and in my experience soaking doesn't shave that much time off the cooking, and it also prevents the pre-toasting, which adds so much flavour.

The only thing I dislike about stove top oatmeal is that it needs to be watched, as I've burnt my pot more than once by not paying enough attention. That's where the rice cooker comes in--it never burns.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

On Sunday I make enough for the whole week, pour it into a large Tupperware, let it congeal and cut it into portions. In the am I put a portion in a bowl , cover with plastic wrap and pop in the microwave for 2 minutes, stir and eat.

I'll grant you it's not as creamy as fresh made but I save that treat for the Sunday I make it.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn

You could try sous-vide. You'd need a temperature regulator (like an Auber PID controller) hooked up to your rice cooker (not all rice cookers can be controlled with one though) and a vacuum sealer system (reynolds handivac works fine).

Put your oatmeal ingredients (steel-cut oats, dry fruit, h20, half&half, salt, sweetner, etc.) into a vacuum-pack bag and set it in a temp-controlled rice cooker filled with h20 overnight.

I do this with a crockpot set to 182ºF. The next morning, I have a bag of hot oatmeal waiting for me.

• 1 year later...

I adore steel-cut oats because they're so delicious and filling but more because of how healthy I read they are. I am doing an experiment to eat some every day and see if my cholesterol of 210 goes down. I make a lot once a week and eat it all week cold (sounds bad but it's great) and add freshly ground flaxseeds, another nutritional powerhouse that's ugly but adds a nice little crunch.

I bought this: Sanyo ECJ-HC55S 5½-cup Micro-Computerized Rice Cooker and Slow Cooker

I bought it because I don't want to stand over the pot for 30 minutes stirring and also it's a mess, pot always boils over, stove a mess, etc.

Tried it once so far. The "porridge" water line was below what I deemed to be the appropriate amount of water. Normally I do 2 cups of steel-cut oats and 8 cups of water (as per the McCann's directions). The Sanyo directions said use 1.5 cups max of oats so I figured 6 cups of water. I decided to use the proportions that I'm accustomed to and used 6 real cups of water (not rice cooker cups) and used the porridge setting. When it was "done," there was a lot of water left so I put it on slow cook and went to work. When I came home, it was warm and done (all the water absorbed.) However, it was MUSHY and not the nice little crunch that I like. I ate it all anyway, still enjoyed it, but need to fix it with the next batch. I will try it tomorrow but fill to the porridge line and report back.

Here's 2 interesting things I read in the amazon reviews:

1. Cooks steel-cut oats beautifully. I use the slow cooker. 1 cup oats, 4 cups water, pinch or two salt. Cook for 1.5 hours. Add dried fruit and additional water if needed (it usually does) and cook for another 15 to 30 minutes. I cook my oats at night for the week ahead so that I can haul it to work. 1 cup serving reheated for 2 minutes. I then add a touch (about ½ cup) soy or almond milk. Sweeten to taste.

2. For those of you who've never owned a rice cooker before, it's important to understand that 5½ cups equals 11 cups, and that their cups are 6 oz. You can make much smaller amounts (as I do) with excellent results.

Would love to hear about other healthy things that everybody has tried with their fuzzy logic rice cooker/slow cooker!

The porridge line for water is almost certainly intended for rice porridge...I use the same amount of water as for stove-top porridge. Steel-cut oats seem to work better in a rice-cooker than any other type (although whole-grain thick rolled oats are not bad...anything too fine or easily cooked tends not to cook with an even consistency),