• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco-A-Go-Go

Aurora

Our friends had to back out and they're the ones with the costco account, so we ended up not doing it this weekend. However, we have had several "costco days" in recent months, and ronnie_suburban's night 1 pic of Rib-eye steak with sauteed spinach is a frequent favorite. Ours would also be accompanied by rice and salad.

I will post a more informative reply later

Menu

Mojitos (not from costco)

Mariated Shrimp Cocktail with Cocktail Sauce (horseradish not from costco)

"Bloody Mary" London Broil (horseradish not from costco)

Hot German Potato Salad

Squash Cassorole

Salad

Several cabs..one from costco

Cherry and fruit bread pudding with lemon sauce and ice cream

Allmost all incrediants from costco except for spices and sugar. Where do I post the receipes? What do I do with the 10 lemons I have left?????

Cheers

Scott

You can post your recipes Here

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Well rainy season decided to descend upon Japan on the day I planned for my Costco a go go BBQ, so I had to change plans. :angry:

We had:

zucchini frittata ( http://recipes.egullet.com/recipes/r311.html )

except for the red onions (given to me by a neighbor) everything was from Costco, the zucchini, eggs, salt and pepper and EVOO

those drumstick like parts of the chicken wing baked in a sweet sticky glaze

everything from Costco, the chicken, the honey, ketchup, soy, garlic, EVOO, and salt and pepper

avocado and red onion salad

except for the red onions, everything from Costco the avocado, the EVOO, lemons and salt and pepper

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I did a simple seafood grill for two. with lots left over. I don't have photos because I am digitally challenged, and won't address that problem until film starts to look really gauche.

I bought a sack of frozen Newfoundland scallops at Costco, and a pound of Great Lakes Pickerel fillets (no longer available). I had a risotto mix with dried tomatoes, and a package of dried porcini mushrooms, prevoiusly bought at Costco.

For desert, I bought strawberries, whipping cream, and Quebec maple syrup.

Scallops and fillets were marinated in EVOO and fresh herbs for an hour. There are no fresh herbs, and precious little local produce at Costco, but I had my garden plot. They have tons of EVOO, Lactania butter, Sealtest cream, sea salt, and packaged spices, so they could at least have a few bunches of herbs!

Trimmed fillets surrounded the scallops, held by toothpicks, and they were grilled over Quebec Maple coals, while I whipped cream, added maple syrup, and stirred risotto, and partner sliced strawbs and opened OZ riesling (not avail. in Costco in Ont).

It was a fine meal, coming in at just under $50. including wine.

We decided that Costco has a lot of fine ingredients at decent prices, but always needs some augmentation.

We decided that Costco has a lot of fine ingredients at decent prices, but always needs some augmentation.

I agree with this comment. We too, had a couple of fine meals and the quality of the goods was pretty typical of my general Costco experiences--very good and occasionally approaching excellent or outstanding.

I thought that the strawberries, surprisingly, were the best item we bought for the challenge. They were on the large side yet surprisingly fragrant, juicy and flavorful. While I am usually an advocate of Costco's steaks and fresh meats, 3 of the 4 rib-eyes were very good but the one I snagged for myself seemed very tough and chewy compared to the other 3--which were very typical of my Costco meat experiences. The flank steaks were about the same. One of the flank steaks from the 2-pack was fantastic but the other one was atypically fibrous and tough. I was somewhat disappointed by the meat because it's usually all very good.

The asparagus were great as was the spinach. I don't buy spices at Costco for a variety of reasons (container size, limited selection & varieties) but the core items are as reliable at Costco as they are at any of the conventional grocery stores in my area.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 1 month later...

As many of you might not make it over to the New Jersey forum, I thought you all might like to read an article from the Newark Star-Ledger about eGullet inspired by this thread.

E- food : On line forums spread the tasty word, electronically, of course, by Suzanne Zimmer Lowery

There's some great artwork accompanying the article that, unfortunately, didn't make it into the online version. This included a cartoon-like drawing combining a person riding a computer mouse, a computer in the background and various food items, a photograph of your truly cooking in my kitchen with my poodles looking on, and a picture of the zucchini frittata I made. The recipes also did not make it in the online version, but most of them are from our very own RecipeGullet:

torakris' Zucchini Frittata
My Strawberry Sorbet
Marlene's Baby Back Ribs
Marlene's Potato Salad

Cool! And as far as I know, Costco is still planning to run an article in their September Costco Connection which goes out to every Canadian Costco member.

Marlene

an article from the Newark Star-Ledger about eGullet inspired by this thread:  E- food : On line forums spread the tasty word, electronically, of course, by Suzanne Zimmer Lowery

There's . . . a photograph of your truly cooking in my kitchen with my poodles looking on, and a picture of the zucchini frittata I made.

Wow. You guys have the coolest household. A freezer stuffed with all varieties of Klondike Bar plus other kinds of ice cream stuff, and White Castle, then the Toastabag Test Kitchen and now, POODLES! More than one! watching while you cook eggplant frittata. :cool: Like Astra watching Nick and Nora mix their endless flow of martinis (did they ever EAT anything?)

(I'm assuming they are real, live dogs). :smile:

• 2 months later...

The Costco Connection magazine has just appeared in my local warehouse, and has a story, page 55 I think, on our Costco a go go event last June. The event seems to have the support of egullet brass (Steven and Marlene) and may go ahead again next year. The egullet adddress is there, so a number of new people may join, or join in.

I knew the article was coming out this month, but I haven't seen it yet!

I don't see any reason why this can't be an annual event if there is enough interest! It certainly was fun the last time around

Marlene

Yep all this Costco talk makes me want to join. I have been a Sams member for years. I did have an intro Costco membership a few years ago when they first opened here.

What I found was if you are purchasing the same sugar, flour etc. that Sams is almost always less expensive. If you are purchasing meats, fish etc. Costco rocks. The interesting thing here in Plano, Texas is that the Sams that is almost next door to Costco has much better produce and meats than the other Sams that are across town.

Never trust a skinny chef

• 4 weeks later...
Ronnie:  Yeah, I'm six months late.  But "reggae-man" is priceless!!

LOL! I'd forgotten about him... :biggrin:

Amazing food artwork by my 40-year-old friend :laugh:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com