• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco-A-Go-Go

Aurora

So has this "event" already happened? Is there a date set? How about an upcoming weekend as a time frame?
Ok, the weekend of June 5/6th it is. On your mark, get set, go! Do it together, do it in conjuction with the Recipe Smackdown Contest, do it alone, or do it virtually with others, just do it

It's coming up! :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

The objective here is to cook a meal using ingredients from costco or other club, and hopefully recipes from eGRA.

The rules are faily simple:

All "clubs" are eligible.

We agree on a date, we shop, we cook, we report back

All recipes should either come from eGRA or be put into eGRA. You can do it in real groups or at home with your family.

One of the most interesting aspects will be to see the differences around the world in ingredients etc.

and here are the rules, few though they may be. :biggrin:

We'll be looking for pictures of wonderful costco or other club meals. If you feel you are able, prices would be great. I'm looking for round the world participation here folks! Let's hear who's in?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

The haggis man is in! FYI they have wonderful frozen shrimp and my costco now roasts their own coffee beans. I also buy a lot of my cheese there especial saga blue and brie.

When anyone chimes in to say they are in, please list your location/country as well. I can gather some stats then as to participation around the world, and possibly do something up showing the differences in Costcos

marlene - Ontario, Canada is in.

Marlene

The Perlows are in (northern NJ). Do you have to shop special for the event, or can you use inventory already purchased? I've got a bag of IQF sea scallops in the freezer that are dying to be used.

You can use inventory you've already got, as long as you can use it in a recipe that can be posted in eGRA.

Marlene

Hey, I wanna be in too! I'm Lynne and in PA, we shop at the North Wales costco where I have seen the longest lines of my life on a Saturday afternoon (going helfway down the store, which as well all know is a LONG distance)

This event is next weekend. There's still time to jump on board and A-Go-Go to your nearest Costco, Sam's etc.

In so far:

Shannon-Elise - Columbus, Ohio

Ronnie_Suburban - Suburban Chicago

Haggis man - ?

Perlows - NJ

Marlene Ontario, Canada

ylm23 PA

Who else?

Marlene

Boston suburbs.

With just Linda and I at home now, Costco vegetables are going to be problematic. The minimum quantity I can buy is just too large. That leaves me two options, do a half assed job using only Costco meat and vegetables from elsewhere, or team up with others from the area. I prefer the second option if anyone is interested. I already have plans for Saturday, so the dinner would halve to be on Sunday.

I can host, and it would not be unreasonable for folks from parts of NH, RI and CT to attend. I'm also willing to travel if someone else wants to host.

Jim

Boston suburbs.

With just Linda and I at home now, Costco vegetables are going to be problematic. The minimum quantity I can buy is just too large. That leaves me two options, do a half assed job using only Costco meat and vegetables from elsewhere, or team up with others from the area. I prefer the second option if anyone is interested. I already have plans for Saturday, so the dinner would halve to be on Sunday.

I can host, and it would not be unreasonable for folks from parts of NH, RI and CT to attend. I'm also willing to travel if someone else wants to host.

Jim

You could also do a salad instead of vegetables. I'm off to do my Costco shopping tomorrow. I'm likely going to do sirloin burgers and salad with maybe a brie from there and who knows what else that I'll pick up while I'm there.

Marlene

Marvellous. I'll put together an updated list and post it later on. :smile: There's room for lots more!

Marlene

I am a maybe. (Some obligations may pop up that interfere.)

If I can, I will be shopping at Sam's and cook on Saturday.

fifi - Houston TX

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Twin Cities, Minnesota. The Costco is located in shopping hell. One of those shopping areas that has a ton of stores but isn't a mall. I do small. I do small stores really well. I don't do big. My tiny local Target give me the heebie-jeebies.

So, I drive up to Costco. It reaks shopping hell. And, for that, I have to pay "admission (membership)." If I pay admission, I expect to be entertained on an order that I don't think I'll be in a Twin Cities suburb.

I've tried to park three times. Really. But, I just can't.

Small and local for me. I'm out.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

In so far:

Shannon-Elise - Columbus, Ohio

Ronnie_Suburban - Suburban Chicago

Haggis man - Northern Virginia

Perlows - NJ

Marlene - Ontario, Canada

ylm23 - PA

Fifi - Houston (maybe)

torakris - Japan

chefsteban - San Diego (maybe)

jmcarath - boston

anythingbutliver - Detroit

jayt90 - Pickering, Ontario, Canada

There's still time. Cooking can be done Sat or Sun. Come on and join the party!

Marlene

I have never been in a Costco. There are none in Manhattan, although I'm aware of one in Long Island City (Queens). But today (cue Twilight Zone music) we got a coupon booklet in the mail along with a registration form. :hmmm:

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I made a Costco run today, and picked up a rack of lamb for the go-go on Sunday. I'm just starting to think about how I will cook it. On the charcoal grill of course, maybe a crust of panko, garlic and rosemary. Butter or evoo? Perhaps some mint. Mint, garlic and rosemary are too much. Still thinking.

They were sampling mango chutney. Excellent! Thanks to whoever mentioned it. Of course, I bought a jar.

Jim

My weekend schedule seems to be clearing all of a sudden, due to a sick dog ($1200 in vet bills today). I just can't see leaving him with someone else in his condition. That's the bad news. The good news is that I have so much stuff in my freezer from Costco that I do not need to make a special trip. I'm in northern VA. So there is some surplusage from this geographical region. But, I plan to thaw out the 2 1/2 inch think strip steaks.

My weekend schedule seems to be clearing all of a sudden, due to a sick dog ($1200 in vet bills today). I just can't see leaving him with someone else in his condition. That's the bad news. The good news is that I have so much stuff in my freezer from Costco that I do not need to make a special trip. I'm in northern VA. So there is some surplusage from this geographical region. But, I plan to thaw out the 2 1/2 inch think strip steaks.

The more the merrier! I did not get to Costco today, but will tomorrow.

Don't forget to take pics everyone! And use recipes from the archive if possible, or put a new one into the archive, even better :biggrin:

Marlene