• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco-A-Go-Go

Aurora

The weekend of APril 9-11 is also my anniversary, and I will NOT be cooking :biggrin: Aurora and I will have the details up by tomorrow, and we'll get the thread moved etc.

In the meantime, I went to Costco today. That place is extremely dangerous! I spent $480.00 and I probably only needed a third of what I bought. However, they had some beautiful bone in centre pork chops that look wonderful. So I bought those too :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Just wanted to weigh in and say that April 9-11 being Easter would not be a good choice for me. Plan to be in NYC - definitely not cooking. Not to mention the crowds and lineups would be horrific on a long weekend....

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

You know what I think would be a good Costo challenge?  Trying to get throught the check out line in less time than it took to shop.  In fact, I'd be happy if I didn't spend twice as much time in the check out line than shopping.

LOL! I haven't found this to be so true at my local Costco but you make a valid point and I absolutely dreaded checking out at Sam's Club--in fact, that's the main reason I switched to Costco. I suppose eventually the wait times will rise at Costco too but so far, so good. FWIW, the store's been open a little longer than a year. I guess "Express" lanes are just not part of the warehouse club paradigm.

As for dates, I'll go with the flow but I'm not available to do this the last week of March.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

You know what I think would be a good Costo challenge?  Trying to get throught the check out line in less time than it took to shop.  In fact, I'd be happy if I didn't spend twice as much time in the check out line than shopping.

LOL! I haven't found this to be so true at my local Costco but you make a valid point and I absolutely dreaded checking out at Sam's Club--in fact, that's the main reason I switched to Costco. I suppose eventually the wait times will rise at Costco too but so far, so good. FWIW, the store's been open a little longer than a year. I guess "Express" lanes are just not part of the warehouse club paradigm.

As for dates, I'll go with the flow but I'm not available to do this the last week of March.

=R=

Shhhhhhh, don't tell. :wink: During football season, go during your local game. The place is empty!!!!

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

=R=

Shhhhhhh, don't tell. :wink: During football season, go during your local game. The place is empty!!!!

Words of wisdom...now maybe there's actually a reason to be happy during the Bears' season :biggrin:

=R=

Passover starts sundown April 5 - ends sundown April 13. It's not the best time to try to be a creative cook. I don't have any problems for the rest of April.

By the way - I've found that the least crowded time at Costco is about 4:30 in the afternoon on weekdays (the day people are gone - and the people stopping by on their way home from work haven't arrived yet). Robyn

• 2 weeks later...
Costco is now the USA's largest retailer of wine according to a report by the Associated Press a few months ago. I love their products, especially the meat.

Don't you wonder who number 2 is? Or did I ask you that already?

Can I play if I belong to Sam's and not Costco?

YOu can play if you belong to any of the clubs. We're still working on a few details folks. You'll have to excuse the delay. Life seems to be getting in the way at the moment :biggrin::blink:

Marlene

The items like the smoked salmon, I buy very infrequently. I wait until my craving is irresistable. Then I'll schedule a "salmon week," wherein I have lox and bagels, or salmon rolls with caviar, or other dish using the salmon, four times that week. That satisfies my craving for about six months, when I have another "salmon week."

I have frozen portions of the Costco smoked salmon to have with bagels or whatever so we don't have "salmon" week. It seems to work successfully with little noticable difference in taste/texture. I was once told that that the smoked salmon companies sometimes freeze the smoked salmon (hint if you have an unsliced side of salmon and a slicer, it makes it easier to slice thinly if frozen)

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

• 2 months later...
I completely forgot about Easter and Passover. April 9 - 11 is out for me for sure. We may need to kick this thing into May, and I'm getting a vibe that this may be OK.

AHA. It may not have happened yet.

I do like not having to buy TP for 2 years :biggrin: . I'm almost ready for another 30-pack! You really DO need the storage space and good car packing skills!

I don't usually buy much meat but what I buy at Costco is very good. I usually manage to save enough to cover my membership cost in 6 months.

Another good if small thing, when people collect canned goods for the needy (like the Postal Service last weekend), I usually have some recently-purchased extra cans of something to throw in!!

If you go on a weeknight or EARLY on weekends, the checkout is not quite so bad. Except at Pentagon City you have to pay for parking weeknights if you don't drive out before 2 hours are up, clutching your receipt and parking stub. Saturdays parking's free--that's why Saturdays are such HELL--people driving along 5 mph behind people with a loaded cart, so they can get the parking space.

We all got a little sidetracked I think :biggrin: Funny how life does that sometimes. Ok, so let's pick a date. How about the weekend of June 5/6?

Marlene

The objective here is to cook a meal using ingredients from costco or other club, and hopefully recipes from eGRA.

The rules are faily simple:

All "clubs" are eligible.

We agree on a date, we shop, we cook, we report back

All recipes should either come from eGRA or be put into eGRA. You can do it in real groups or at home with your family.

One of the most interesting aspects will be to see the differences around the world in ingredients etc.

Marlene

Just in time for D-Day! The shopping alone will require lots of logistical consideration:

"Now, which side of the warehouse is the bottled water on THIS week?"

"I wonder, are all these shrink packs going to FIT inside the Toyota?"

Count me in! I love any excuse to go to Sam's Club (we don't have a Costco in Columbus).

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

Ok, the weekend of June 5/6th it is. On your mark, get set, go! Do it together, do it in conjuction with the Recipe Smackdown Contest, do it alone, or do it virtually with others, just do it :biggrin:

Marlene

Ok, the weekend of June 5/6th it is.  On your mark, get set, go!  Do it together, do it in conjuction with the Recipe Smackdown Contest, do it alone, or do it virtually with others, just do it :biggrin:

Get your pan and notebook ready... :biggrin:

=R=

As has been long discussed, requested, etc... this topic has been relocated to a less... regionally defined location. You can A-Go-Go to your Costco wherever it is located! :smile:

"Adventures" seemed like the right call instead of "General", since this definitely falls under the "Grand Experiment" provision.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Anyone know if it's possible to get a trial membership to any of these places? I guess I could take my mom's Costco card for a spin, but the thought of being trapped in Costco with my mom is too awful to contemplate.

We wouldn't eat their meats (I'm weird about meat, ok...), but things like TP (do they carry major brands of TP? I remember Sam's only carrying Red Army Surplus, but that was years and years ago), paper towels, and gargantuan jugs of Advil would be good to buy in bulk.

Not food related, but I want to check out their power tools/hand tools, too.

I just don't want to pay to see if I like the joint, right?

Gourmet Anarchy