• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco-A-Go-Go

Aurora

Wonderful responses!  We've a few details to work out, but keep posting suggestions etc.    Watch this space :smile:

There is a long weekend coming up, a possible opportunity to schedule the virtual "club" dinner. This would give folks plenty of time to do their shopping and stuff like brine their chicken.

PS: I'm still watching that space and nothing is happening :wacko:

Um, there's a long weekend for Americans. Not the rest of us :hmmm:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Wonderful responses!  We've a few details to work out, but keep posting suggestions etc.    Watch this space :smile:

There is a long weekend coming up, a possible opportunity to schedule the virtual "club" dinner. This would give folks plenty of time to do their shopping and stuff like brine their chicken.

PS: I'm still watching that space and nothing is happening :wacko:

Not all us Americans have a long weekend either :sad:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

There is a long weekend coming up, a possible opportunity to schedule the virtual "club" dinner.

Really? I'm quite surprised to discover that Canada doesn't celebrate 'American Presidents' Day.'

:blink:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Really? I'm quite surprised to discover that Canada doesn't celebrate 'American Presidents' Day.'

Are you now? :biggrin::raz:

Marlene

Really?  I'm quite surprised to discover that Canada doesn't celebrate 'American Presidents' Day.' 

Are you now? :biggrin::raz:

Next, you'll probably try to convince me that y'all don't celebrate July 4th Independence Day, either. :shock:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Next, you'll probably try to convince me that y'all don't celebrate July 4th Independence Day, either. :shock:

What's that :raz: ?

Marlene

Next, you'll probably try to convince me that y'all don't celebrate July 4th Independence Day, either.  :shock:

What's that :raz: ?

Well, Darlin' -- that's the day we got rid of them Brits. Remember them? :laugh:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Ahem. Well. Back on topic:

I live alone, and you'd think I wouldn't be in much of a position to take advantage of the warehouse-type discount stores. But you'd be wrong.

I buy many items there. The kinds of things I buy are predominately either non-perishables (like paper towels, TP, tissue, all my soaps), OTC medication and vitamins (generic Claritin which I get for $15 for 180 tablets, generic Benedryl for $3.99 for 400 tablets), canned goods (Swanson chicken broth), frozen items (or things I can freeze and just take out a little at a time as I need it, like pecan halves, butter, fish filets, shrimp, prepared pasta, chicken breasts), and expensive items that otherwise I can't justify buying, like Parmegiano Reggiano, Brie, chevre, crab meat, oysters, smoked salmon.

I also buy produce that I particularly like and know I can use up, like avocados & those absolutely wonderful small "Nature Sweet" tomatoes on the vine.

The non-perishables I figure I'll eventually use up, and I do.

The items like the smoked salmon, I buy very infrequently. I wait until my craving is irresistable. Then I'll schedule a "salmon week," wherein I have lox and bagels, or salmon rolls with caviar, or other dish using the salmon, four times that week. That satisfies my craving for about six months, when I have another "salmon week."

I have Sam's membership. And as a single gal on a budget, I really appreciate it.

I think that there are many things available at Sam's, Costo, etc., that are delicious enough to create a fine meal. In fact, I do it all the time.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

The items like the smoked salmon, I buy very infrequently. I wait until my craving is irresistable. Then I'll schedule a "salmon week," wherein I have lox and bagels, or salmon rolls with caviar, or other dish using the salmon, four times that week. That satisfies my craving for about six months, when I have another "salmon week."

I do the same thing :biggrin:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Costco is now the USA's largest retailer of wine according to a report by the Associated Press a few months ago. I love their products, especially the meat.

Do you have a link to that article?

God, I'm getting muddled. I put my Costco report on the roasted cauliflower thread last night. The Costco Disneyland Tour yielded up 2 beautious beef and 2 similarly winsome pork roasts. But there was no cauliflower! None at our local Albertson's, and if you read Jinmyo's newest thread, I now know why! But anyway, back to the Costco-A-Go-Go; what's gonna be our boundaries? I did at least scope out many things so I'd be prepped.Lead on, oh leaders.

And there isn't continuity. One trip we find a lovely mango pineapple salsa we liked to use for parties. The next trip, they weren't carrying it anymore, and the only place I could get it now is at Sams!

We were at Costco today (in Jacksonville Florida) - and the mango salsa is there. You might ask your local manager why you can't find it in your store. Robyn

God, I'm getting muddled. I put my Costco report on the roasted cauliflower thread last night. The Costco Disneyland Tour yielded up 2 beautious beef and 2 similarly winsome pork roasts. But there was no cauliflower! None at our local Albertson's, and if you read Jinmyo's newest thread, I now know why! But anyway, back to the Costco-A-Go-Go; what's gonna be our boundaries? I did at least scope out many things so I'd be prepped.Lead on, oh leaders.

As far as boundaries are concerned, the only boundary should be whatever is on the shelves are your local club. As far as leaders is concerned, whoever started this thread should lead or designate a driver.

. As far as leaders is concerned, whoever started this thread should lead or designate a driver.

Aurora and I are leading this. I've been out of town though, so we haven't had a chance to put our heads together. We should have something for you shortly. :smile:

Marlene

I'd like to make a humble suggestion. I went looking for this thread last night, and couldn't find it. Didn't realize it was in "The Heartland." I just waited for it to pop back up in "Active Topics."

If you're going to carry through this project, and if everyone is welcome, may I suggest that you move the thread out of Heartland? There may be other folks that would like to participate that haven't even read it yet because they think it's just a regional thing.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I'd like to make a humble suggestion. I went looking for this thread last night, and couldn't find it. Didn't realize it was in "The Heartland." I just waited for it to pop back up in "Active Topics."

If you're going to carry through this project, and if everyone is welcome, may I suggest that you move the thread out of Heartland? There may be other folks that would like to participate that haven't even read it yet because they think it's just a regional thing.

Yes we are planning to! :smile:

Marlene

Let me see if I'm clear here. 1. get on with the thing and set a date 2. move this topic to a forum that is more general for the purpose of increasing discussion and maximizing participation (thank you Mnebergall and Jaymes). You must be reading our minds. :smile:

Now that we have a very strong contingent -- thank you, it's good to see you all here -- there are a few bits of business that we should take care of prior to moving the topic.

First things first, let's take attendance. We already have a very impressive list. Those who have already expressed interest are as follows (in order of appearance). Let me know if I missed anyone:

Aurora

Marlene

Snowangel

hillvalley

ronnie_suburban

Foodie in Vancouver

Torakris

robyn

sandra

iguana

Alex

Jake

mnebergall

Lady T

WoodleyGrrl

leechef

Mabelline

Jaymes

Fresser

Stone

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the following people who have responded appear to be squarely in the "no" column:

paul mitchell

melkor

Comfort Me

Currently, we represent four countries:

USA

Canada

Japan

United Kingdom

So far, an extensive list of "ground rules" has not been set. Participation is not limited to Costco. Participation is open to everyone with membership in a price club (i.e. Sam's Club). There is no pre-determined menu.

With regard to setting a date, it should be a realistic one. We want maximum participation. A date that arrives to quickly will not accomplish that end. I am thinking that it should transpire over a weekend. That will give people time to check their calendars and organize. It also gives everyone the option of a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Does a date in April seem too far off?

The floor is now open to date nominations. I would like to nominate April 9 - 11, and April 23 - 24 as possible dates.

Once we have finalized a date and "ground rules," we will then move the topic.

One vote for April 9-11.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

One vote for April 9-11.

That is during the end of Passover and Easter weekend. Might not work for a lot of people.

Count me in if I can go with someone in the DC area.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

You know what I think would be a good Costo challenge? Trying to get throught the check out line in less time than it took to shop. In fact, I'd be happy if I didn't spend twice as much time in the check out line than shopping.

April 9-11 is Easter and thus bad for many. For me, the weekend of April 23-24 is the first weekend of the spring turkey season and I plan to be invisible in the woods. The weekend in between works for me as does the first weekend in May.