• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco-A-Go-Go

Aurora

I'll admit it. I have become addicted to Costco.

Where else can I get massive quantites of toilet paper, laundry detergent, pistachios, juice, socks, ibuprofen, and other must-haves (like the massive tub of every type of crayon and marker made by Crayola--keeps the boys quiet for hours) for next to nothing?

I especially love all the cart nudging that goes on on the weekends to get at the the samples. Sometimes what's up for grabs may not taste like much, but you will find yourself diving in head-first, risking life and limb to get at it, and some of it is pretty good. I could really do without the Bagelbites, but that is how I became acquainted with Stagg Chili and Bear Creek potato soup. Both often come to my rescue when I must grab my lunch on the fly and take it back to my desk.

For what it is, Costco also does surprisingly well with meat, wine, seafood, and basic produce. It also holds some real pleasant surprises, and that brings me to my point.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but back in October 2002, Amanda Hesser wrote an article about a dinner she prepared for six. Everything was purchased with ingredients from Costco for $50. She was pleased with her dinner, and I know we could make a very memorable meal.

I'm suggesting that we try a similar outing to Costco and we all prepare dinner for ourselves. We do not need to put a limit on cost other than to suggest that we use our best judgement and we stay within means that are reasonable for each of us. We can plan the meal ahead and then go, or we can all go in with a number of ideas that will comprise what we know to be a great meal and start shopping.

Who's up for it, and who among us has a Costco membership? I wouldn't be necessary for everyone to have a Costco membership--even one would work provided we did a little reasonable planning. We can set the rules and plan the menu as we go.

A virtual dinner? I have a membership to Costco. It could be fun!

That's a good idea. If that's the case, that's bigger than The Heartland, isn't it? Perhaps a number of us could get together in our respective cites on one day and do the actual and the virtual meals. Hmmm. I like it.

I like it too. It lets lots of us participate, since I can't be in Chicago with y'all :sad:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Geez. I don't have a Costco membership, but the house we have made an accepted offer on (that's just about to evaporate) is within blocks of a Costco. Problem is that I can't seem to tolerate any shopping area that has more than 20 parking places. And, I love things in small packages.

What's a woman to do? Suck it up? Pay the membership? But, the appeal of a virtual meal with the bestest of the bestest has it's appeal. So, do I include the cost of the membership into the meal?

P. S. What is Stagg Creek chili and Bear Creek whatever?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Geez. I don't have a Costco membership, but the house we have made an accepted offer on (that's just about to evaporate) is within blocks of a Costco. Problem is that I can't seem to tolerate any shopping area that has more than 20 parking places. And, I love things in small packages.

What's a woman to do? Suck it up? Pay the membership? But, the appeal of a virtual meal with the bestest of the bestest has it's appeal. So, do I include the cost of the membership into the meal?

P. S. What is Stagg Creek chili and Bear Creek whatever?

You have a family. Get thee to the Costco, suck it up and pay the membership. Once you buy toilet paper in the double-size roll, 36-roll pack ($13 and some change), you won't go back! :laugh:

It just won't make sense to pay $4 for a 4-pack ever again.

Stagg Chili is a brand of canned chili. I was a doubter until a very nice lady donning a hair net and plastic gloves enticed me over to her crock pot and encouraged me to try it. What could I do? She was holding food out to me, and I was caught in the spell of her hypnotic, pinwheel, cartoon eyes. Stagg Chili is made with steak. It's got a great, rich tomato flavor and a good balance of spices with a slightly spicy zing--really good for canned chili. I got a pack of 6 for $6.99.

The Bear Creek Potato Soup is part of the Bear Creek Country Kitchens line sold by Costco. The company is out of Utah. I don't know if it is affiliated with the Bear Creek Lodge in Colorado.

I know an enterprising woman like you will more than get back the membership fee just in rebates.

Susan, you must join. Your life will be changed. Your son will soon be a teenager. In order to financially survive his teen yeras, you must join. Not to mention the money you will save on books, music and wine!

I love the virtual dinner idea. I'm all the way on the east coast but would love to join in. I bet if you started a new thread called the virtual dinner at costco' s you would get people all over joining in! It would be interesting to see what the different stores carry across the country.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

We had the pig pickin, one of eGullets biggest real time events. Now we offer, the virtual Costco dinner, eGullet's largest ever virtual event! :biggrin:

Marlene

Count me in. I'd put Costco's steaks up against any Choice steaks out there. Costco is essentially a logistics company. They move a lot of volume and therefore, freshness is generally very high. I think we could easily do an excellent dinner with items from Costco.

...and the portions will be gigantic :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

We even have Costco in Canada but we don't have the wine - boo-hoo. I am definitely in on the virtual Costco dinner. I am a big believer in their meats - quality and great prices. Just wish we could get the wine. When we go to Palm Desert our first stop is Costco for the wine and secondarily, the food.

Cheers,

Karole

I'd love to join to, but since Costco Japan has many different products than what would be in an American Costco should we stick to th things that anyone would be able to buy?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I'd love to join to, but since Costco Japan has many different products than what would be in an American Costco should we stick to th things that anyone would be able to buy?

Yes, that would be a good idea, as I'm in Canada and can't get wine either :angry:

Marlene

Yes, that would be a good idea, as I'm in Canada and can't get wine either :angry:

I can get wine!! :raz:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I can get wine!! :raz:

:raz:

Marlene

And I thought Egulleters were all wise, organic, buying locally and thinking globally kind of people. It's sad.

Why would you think that? Haven't you read any threads here?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

And I thought Egulleters were all wise, organic, buying locally and thinking globally kind of people. It's sad.

What's sad? The only stuff that's grown locally where I live is potatoes and cabbage and collards and mandarin oranges (and they're all *very* seasonal). Let's face it - everyone doesn't live in the heavenly produce valleys of the world. Maybe you do - but I don't.

As for my local wines - how about peach wine? I dare you - no - double dare you :raz: .

I shop at Costco all the time for things I can't even find in my local supermarkets. A preliminary menu recommendation is something that uses their great red/yellow/orange peppers (full size or mini) and sausages (I like the andouille sauages by Amy). Italian? Jumbalaya? I'm game.

By the way - I had no idea Costco was in Japan. What kinds of things do they sell there? Robyn

Some of us are... but I think you need to live somewhere without winter for that to work.

OK.

Based on your input and additional ideas, here's what I thought about on the ride home. Tell me what you think.

Marlene - the virtual idea is really good. I had to tell you that again. Costco is practically everywhere, so the virtual idea really works. Everyone can participate in their own homes. There is no need to travel, and eGulleters can participate singly or as part of a local group.

Here's what I am thinking:

We can call it "International Costco-A-Go-Go Day" that's were we could post the general proposal, set the date, and additional input and ideas with regard to planning. At the same time, the regioal forums should post their own threads for their particular event. For example, some forums would have several Costco-A-Go-Go threads. The Heartland could easily see one for Minneapolis, Chicago, Grand Rapids, etc. In the regional forums, the threads would discuss the specifics of the event for that particular person or group--the menu, the people participating, etc. We must pick a date that gives everyone who wants to participate adequate notice, so that we can make the most of the day, and that can be discussed

I think it is important that everyone plan their own menu and do so according to their own tastes and what their Costco has to offer. For those who must purchase wine and spirits somewhere other than Costco, please do so, but indicate that in your write-ups and say why. It will be interesting to see the variety of ideas that we come up with and, in some instances, the reasons behind it. Everyone is free to make whatever they want, but the primary ingredients must be purchased at Costco. For example, the world is not going to end if the kosher salt used to season a recipe or the toothpicks used to hold something together during cooking were not purchased at Costco. We want to be reasonable and not get carried away.

How does this sound? Depending on how the idea develops, I will have this thread moved to the Cooking forum. General ideas and logistics can be posted here. When and if that happens, regional posting can begin.

By the way - I had no idea Costco was in Japan. What kinds of things do they sell there? Robyn

That is on of the things that will be most interesting about this if enough people participate.

Marlene - perhaps we can have a specific folder in the eGRA for this?

Ok, I like it so far. Do we set a dollar limit on what people can spend or does it matter?

The eGRA folder is for recipes, so , as long as people are willing to post the recipes that they've made that day, we could possibly hold the discussion there.

Note to self, check with vengroff.

If we are going to have Costco threads in every forum, would it make sense to have one forum where everyone can post to instead so they are all in one place? That's a lot of forums to check for those who are living vicariously through this :biggrin:

Regional challenges?

Note to self: check with FG re logistics.

Anyone else have additional thoughts?

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Ok, I like it so far. Do we set a dollar limit on what people can spend or does it matter?

The eGRA folder is for recipes, so , as long as people are willing to post the recipes that they've made that day, we could possibly hold the discussion there.

Note to self, check with vengroff.

If we are going to have Costco threads in every forum, would it make sense to have one forum where everyone can post to instead so they are all in one place? That's a lot of forums to check for those who are living vicariously through this :biggrin:

Regional challenges?

Note to self: check with FG re logistics.

Anyone else have additional thoughts?

I'm right with ya, babe. I'm checking with FG and crew as we speak.

I'm thinking that we do not need to set a dollar amount, or that can be left to each particular group or person. Best judgment and common sense should see us through, but I have noticed that it is very easy to go nuts at Costco. On second thought...

Oh yeah. We ended up getting one of those "executive cards" since we always spend way more than we intend to. This is perfect timing. I was justing thinking I needed to make a run to Costco soon. I'm with you on developing this thing. Just let me know what you need :smile:

Maybe a limit on number of courses? We want to try to keep it reasonably "even" for everyone!

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene