• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corte Rugolin

Susan in FL

A friend recommended this wine to us, so we bought a bottle and drank it tonight with dinner. I did a search for some info, as I do whenever I'm unfamiliar with a wine. I didn't find anything specific online, or in the books that I have.

So... I turn to you wine experts, and am prepared for your usual explanation of what a good wine this isn't.

...1999 Corte Rugolin Valpolicella Classico Superiore di Ripasso.

I would be interested in discussion about Valpolicella and any other wines of the region. Other than Amarone which I adore, I don't know a lot about Valpolicella except for Bolla... Not a great wine. In my research, I didn't find much info about food and wine matches except for light meats, pasta, and pizza. Are Classico and Superiore fuller bodied than other Valpolicellas, and expected to stand up to more intense dishes?

Please enlighten me!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

From the web: "A close relation to Amarone, Ripassa takes its name from the ancient process of Ripasso, literally meaning repassed. After the Valpolicella is fermented, it is put into vessels recently vacated by the Amarone. The wine soaked skins and lees that remain in these vessels initiate a slight refermentation, subsequently increasing both the alcohol and body of the wine. Once passed through the skins and lees, the wine remains in the tank for 6 months and is then aged in small oak barrels for 18-24 months."

"Standard Valpolicella is usually a lightweight red, but the ripasso form is something else entirely. The name means "re-passed" in English, and that's a fair summary of the process: Select batches of Valpolicella are fermented over the winter in the usual way, but then are transferred in the spring into barrels that contain the crushed, dried grapeskins left over from the production of Amarone (the region's BIG red wine). "Re-passing" the lighter wine over its bigger brother's grape skins adds body, color and flavor and may even kick off a bit of additional fermentation which boosts its alcoholic content. The result is a much fuller-bodied, flavorful and intense wine than the standard Valpolicella."

I've enjoyed Zenato Valpolicella Superiore Ripassa :smile: .

I always say that there is one question to ask when you taste a new wine: DID YOU LIKE IT?
:hmmm: ...I thought that went without saying, Mark! Yes, I do know that I liked it. :smile:

I was trying to learn more about it than that, and as I said, was interested in some discussion.

Thanks again, Gary.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

To add to the discussion, primary red grape varietals are Corvina, Rondinella and Molinara (I might have spelling issues here)

Amarone essentially is a Valpolicella made from raisins, or grapes dried so that their sugar content remains the same but much of the water content evaporates. It is thus expensive to produce (you need a lot of grapes to make very little wine) and there is much must left over so what better to do with the lees than referment. The Ripasso style is a relatively newer technique. Some firms such as Allegrini actually do a cuvee of Amarone and Valpolicella rather than a refermentation. I think the Veneto is a great place to drink wine, there is much tradtion and there are madmen like F. Maculan doing all sorts of odd things and producing very interesting wines.

over it