• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Way Back When...

Robb:

I've been in Austin since 1974. At some point in time I remember enjoying reading your work in the Chronicle.

My question is, do you think that local rags like the Chronicle have power in influencing peoples' dining choices? How much respect did you garner while working for the Chronicle, and did it help advance your career?

Thanks.

As I explain in the introduction of Are You Really Going to Eat That? writing for the Austin Chronicle was a wonderful experience for me. I reviewed restaurants there for about five years from 1990 to 1995. I am still connected with the Chronicle as the head judge of the Austin Chronicle Hot Sauce Festival, now in its 14th year. How much does the Chron influence Austin diners? It's a better question for Austin restaurant workers.

Did it help me in my career? Absolutely.

How would you compare the readership at The Austin Chronicle to The Houston Press?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The audiences are much the same. And, if I am not mistaken, the Austin Chronicle and the Houston Press have almost exactly the same print run (around 120,000). But since Houston is five times bigger than Austin, the folks that regularly read the Houston Press constitute a smaller percentage of the overall population.