• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Broasted?

Stone

As I understand it, 'broasting' is the process of deep-frying under pressure. I think it's actually a registered trademark for the company that makes the broasters themselves. Most of the time, what's being broasted is chicken, and I think the process was actually developed so that restaurants could make fried chicken quickly.

When I was a kid, it was common to see Broasted Chicken Served Here signs, and they all looked the same, so I'm guessing that Broaster Inc provided them.

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

mmm...broasted chicken.  I have wonderful memories of many a friday night after work eating broasted chicken & jo jo's with co-workers at the Uptown Tavern in Richland, WA.  Jim's right...it's a trademarked pressure-fried method of cooking chicken.   As I recall, it tasted pan fried, and we used to dip it & jo jo's in mustard for maximum enjoyment.  This was 20 years ago, but the memories are great.

(Edited by Blue Heron at 7:48 pm on Feb. 7, 2002)