• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making licorice?

possum

Hi,

Any one out there ever try to make liqurice? i have been looking around the net for some info...but to no avail....

i figure the ingredients are suger....molases?...liqurice root?....

any ideas?

i just made marshmellows with a recipe i found here (strawberry ones...just i used raspberrys)...they came out great!

ok....i made on batch in the morning that went as folows:

about 20-30 grams of licorice powder cooked in 6 cups of water till i had about 2 cups left.

took that and added to it 3/4 cup molasses, a little salt and 1/4 cup of oil.

let it boil for a few mins.

then added in 1 Tbs of pectin and let it boil for a couple more mins.

then stirred in 1.5 cups of plain flour and mixed it till i got a stiff paste.

let it cool and made little balls that i put on a tray to dry.

texture: perfect. nice and soft. (i figure that in a day or so they will dry out properly).

taste: very very weak.....

so...i did a second batch....same as first but this time cooked up 2 Tbs of anise seeds with the licorice root.

then at the cooking stage i added some more suger and salt.

texture: very similar, a little softer.

taste: better, a bit stronger....but not quite what i want.....

any ideas?

mabye some star anise??.....

• 2 years later...

Bumping this to the top - anyone have any suggestions? What about red licorice?

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Have you checked out this thread on licorice syrup? Some of the ingredient lists may help. The red twists made by Kookaburra contain wheat syrup, brown sugar, food starch, wheat flour, water, treacle, food starch-modified, palm oil, flavor, citric acid, color, salt, monoglyceride. They're very good. Sorry I don't have a recipe, but this is a start.

Ilene