• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

coke or pepsi?

reesek

the topic title is kind of a joke at my workplace - but what is your favorite soda and how do you like to drink it?

me? coke from a can - an inch at a time from a short glass.

i think coke tastes best first from a can, then bottle, then fountain (unless the fountain is REALLY good - not too syrupy or too foamy). if the fountain attains it's elusive heights it supercedes bottles and then i like it with lots of ice and a straw.

i've given way too much attention to coke, haven't i?

i also loved orange and lemon fanta when i was in spain. lemon with whisky - orange the next day

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

I like DC in a bottle with a straw.

It's even better with berry infused Vodka the next day :biggrin:

Don't like Pepsi at all, but then again growing up we weren't allowed to drink Pepsi for pc reasons.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

The ideal is an icy-cold Coke in a glass bottle.

I don't like the taste of Pepsi.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I like Pepsi, hubby likes Coke. We have Coke in the house :rolleyes: The only time I drink Coke is mixed with a little Canadian Club on ice. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Diet Pepsi right out of the bottle. If fountain is available at say, a diner, then i'll have that. i keep a can of Coke in the fridge only because it's the best thing for a hangover. but i dislike it intensely and i find diet coke undrinkable.

Highball glass full of ice, 1 to 2 oz of Jim Beam then top off with coke...pepsi in a pinch. Also been known to do same glass full of ice then 1 to 2 oz of coke or pepsi then top off with Jim Beam. Oh yeah!

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

In order of preference:

Jack & Coke

Coke float

Coke in glass bottle

Diet Coke in France

Pepsi :angry:

BTW, does anyone know if the Diet Coke in Europe is different from our Diet Coke in America? I swear it tastes much better.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I used to be a Coke person, until they changed formulas. Then, the closest option was RC cola. When it came back as Coke Classic, I switched to Pepsi.

The best way to drink a Pepsi is almost frozen (where it's a little slushy) from a 20 oz bottle.

But I'll step on anybody to get a iced down Coke in the little bottles. Sonic consistently has the best fountain drinks for a chain.

And here's the southern thing that no one has brought up yet.... Who adds peanuts?

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

For a meal I made for my wife, when she didn't want to drink alcohol, I served Coke in Champane flutes. Assuming it is very cold and has not begun to go flat, Coke behaves in much the same way as Champagne and is a fun alternative.

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I dont know if the diet coke in europe is different than the american recipe. But the diet coke in Israel definitely tastes better than the stuff in the states (somehow everything tastes better abroad though?). when i first moved to the states, I couldn't stand soft drinks because they were too sticky and full of caramel or something.

Now im a huge diet pepsi fan.

mia

At work the Chinese customers order Hot coke with ginger!

sounds weird, but actually not too bad.

hmm...this is interesting, I haven't heard this as an everyday drink, but its often used by Chinese as a cold/fever remedy...

I think both Coke and Pepsi, which are both bottled all over the world, tend to change the formula a little depending on location and tastes. I like Diet Coke, but I think the European Coke Light is even better than US Diet Coke. I know the only time I might choose Pepsi over Coke would be in China, where Coke is absolutely disgusting, way too sweet, but even then, I'd prefer a Sprite or something else...

I think both Coke and Pepsi, which are both bottled all over the world, tend to change the formula a little depending on location and tastes.

i know coke definitely does. y'all need to come visit the World of Coke exhibit here in Atlanta. I never have but apparently they have different cokes from all over the world for people to sample.

i had a friend who worked in dubai for awhile, and when he came back he brought back a case of dubai cokes as favors. such a sweet little can with arabic writing on it. the actual soda tasted like salty phosphoric acid tho. not so fun.

i grew up in a pepsi household, and i live in a coke world at the moment. so it doesn't matter to me. if i need caffeine i'll get whatever cola is on fountain. i rarely buy soda for myself, but every once in awhile i will buy a bottle of vanilla coke. personally the canned and bottled cokes/pepsis hurt my throat, so i just let em rest a bit after opening so some of the carbonation dies off.

And here's the southern thing that no one has brought up yet.... Who adds peanuts?

add peanuts? do tell!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train