• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

coke or pepsi?

reesek

There is the southern institution of adding a package of roasted salted peanuts to a bottle of "pop" that you have taken a few swigs out of. As you tilt the bottle, you'd get a few peanuts with the swig of soda. Works better with the old glass bottles, though. I don't recommend attempting this stunt with a can. Basic physics is against you there.

I've done it a few times, but it's nothing that I would go out of my way to do again...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Sonic consistently has the best fountain drinks for a chain.

Better than Coke at Waffle House? Surely not...

On the best Coke, period, I'm with Chris: it's Mexican Coke in the glass bottles.

But the best all-around soda I've had in ages was last weekend at Pizza Club: the Top Road Tavern in Trenton, NJ has birch beer on tap. Tremendous stuff.

I love the new diet vanilla pepsi!

A colleague/friend gave me a can of this just today. He swore it tastes like cream soda, which I love. He was soooooooo wrong! I found it impossible to drink. Way too.... I dunno, sweet? cloying? Just icky!

I never touch Pepsi, but I drink Diet Coke from the fountain at work. I love Diet Vernor's or diet cream soda.

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

Root Beer from Abita Springs. My grandfather, who was from Texas, would only allow Dr. Pepper in his house.

Coke, pepsi is not a choice, period.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Cranial MRIs on folks who had never tried either beverage showed that people universally preferred Pepsi when they didn't know which they were drinking.

Funny what marketing and/or conditioning can do to a person, eh?

I'll see if I can locate that study.

there's pleny online if you google "coke pepsi mri".

what's even odder is that people were subjecting themselves to MRIs for the sake of a study on coke vs. pepsi. :blink: while they may very well be safe, that's not exactly popular opinion. unless i'm reading this stuff wrong. maybe i should read all of it first. :biggrin:

Edited by tommy (log)

Has anyone else noticed that Pepsi mixes better with vodka and Coke with rum and wiskey? I'll go through Pepsi phases, but I'm generally a Coke girl. Also Vanilla Coke in a can is the worst thing EVER to happen to making vanilla Coke. Tis MUCH better to buy a bottle of vanilla syrup and put a shot or two in your drink. To me, the difference is night and day. What comes from Coca-Cola Inc just tastes fake!

Also, any southerners heard of putting BC powder in your cokes? I know a few people who do that.

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

Also-How do the Mexican Cokes taste different?

Thanks,

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

what's even odder is that people were subjecting themselves to MRIs for the sake of a study on coke vs. pepsi.  :blink:  while they may very well be safe, that's not exactly popular opinion. 

FWIW, I've had a cranial MRI... they are extremely safe as long as you don't have metal clips in your brain. (I have an aunt who does; she had surgery for aneurysms.) Uncomfortable for claustrophobics tho. Anyway...

What surprises me is-- that's a thousand-dollar test! I'm amazed anybody would shell out that kind of money for a Pepsi-Challenge-MRI, even Pepsi.

Root Beer from Abita Springs. My grandfather, who was from Texas, would only allow Dr. Pepper in his house.

Coke, pepsi is not a choice, period.

Don't like coke or pepsi, actually not much for pop, but I LOVE dr. pepper!

Regular Coke before the doctor told me I was diabetic, Pepsi One after.

Welcome littlebear!

I worked with a guy who drank a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi One a day. I didn't know it was still around.

This thread is making me crave a regular coke.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Neither. I stopped drinking colas as a teenager (but to that point, I was a Coke girl all the way). The end of my cola-drinking was a function of having mono and the doctor swearing cola would make me feel better. I drank a lot of it, I guess, and an association between cola and illness was made. Now I just can't drink the stuff - it doesn't quench my thirst or anything and the taste is just...eh.

I do like the occasional Sprite. :smile:

Coke classic may be one of the greatest inventions ever. Very cold from the bottle. Some foutains are great but it depends on to may variables . My sister will drink nothing but Pepsi so it does not run in families. We never have soda in our house anymore since my wife started the low carb deal. Just last night I went to a meeting and wnen it was over someone asked if I wanted a 20oz bottle of Coke. I took it like it was a 100 dollar bill. Woderful stuff. pepsi is barely drinkable.

On another note I have always loved 7 up, put not sprite or any thing else. At work Pepsi has the vending deal and if I am desperate i will drink a sierra mist but NEVER a pepsi

Letterman had a bit a couple of nights ago where he showed a bottle of Pepsi Coke.

It was a Coke 2 liter bottle with a label saying "now with the great taste of Pepsi." :biggrin:

As a diabetic I also am in the diet category and for colas, I think Pepsi beats Coke hands down. Though if I'm having a diet soda I prefer that new Sierra Lite that Pepsi makes.

I'm also partial to plain seltzer with a little lemon juice.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

y'all need to come visit the World of Coke exhibit here in Atlanta. I never have but apparently they have different cokes from all over the world for people to sample.

I was there many years ago and its a lot of fun, with Coke being dispensed by flying into your cup basically. They don't have different flavors of Coke (but this could have changed over the years) from around the world, but they do have flavors of other Coke products from many different countries. The only one I really remember was a Japanese Fanta which was some flower flavor, ugh, so bitter!