• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

coke or pepsi?

reesek

y'all need to come visit the World of Coke exhibit here in Atlanta.  I never have but apparently they have different cokes from all over the world for people to sample.

I was there many years ago and its a lot of fun, with Coke being dispensed by flying into your cup basically. They don't have different flavors of Coke (but this could have changed over the years) from around the world, but they do have flavors of other Coke products from many different countries. The only one I really remember was a Japanese Fanta which was some flower flavor, ugh, so bitter!

maybe that's what it is then. i had heard some of the flavors were na acquired taste.

you know...considering it's right around the corner from me, i really should go over there andhave a look one day.

Can Diet Dr. Pepper

Can Diet A&W

Can Diet Vanilla Pepsi

I don't like Coke because it's too sweet for me but once in a while I crave a McDonald's coke and french fries.

I love fountain Pepsi as long as the mix is right but I can't drink fountain Diet Dr. Pepper. Go figure. :rolleyes: In Texas you can go to the Dr. Pepper bottling plant and get old fahioned Dr. Pepper made with sugar cane. Haven't tried it yet. Has anyone ever warmed their Dr. Pepper and drank it? I think it's a southern thing.

Coke from a glass bottle in Europe, poured into a glass with a lemon wedge.

What gets me is that in casual restaurants in the US, a wedge of lemon indicates DIET. I love Coke with lemon but rarely get it because it causes such confusion. If a diet Coke-drinking friend doesn't use their lemon and I put it in my glass, mine will invariably be refilled with diet and theirs with regular. An honest mistake. The problem is the system: lemon is a fruit, not an ID tag. There must be a better way.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

My preferences:

Coke and Pepsi are kinda interchangeable for me, but I like RC best.

Diet Pepsi and Pepsi One will always win over Diet Coke.

Sprite and Sierra Mist are interchangable, but 7up only if I am desperate.

Diet Vanilla Coke is better than Diet Vanilla Pepsi.

Weinhard's Root Beer whenever I can get it, but Barq's when I can't afford the good stuff. Never Mug or generic.

A&W Cream Soda or their Diet Cream Soda, but generics are icky. Weinhard's whenever I can get it.

• 1 month later...

Pepsi, all the way. I bought a few shares of stock because I love it so. :raz:

I really can't drink Coke anymore. can only drink Coke if I am REALLY hot or hungry and there is NO epsi.

Used to work for a guy whose family owned a Pepsi plant down south for many years. He got Pepsi delivered free to his office. Free soda for staff. I was in heaven.... This meant we could try the new products too, the various Slice flavors when they sold that, and Pepsi Clear (a 90's flash in the pan, made with high fructose corn syrup and all the caffeine, none of the coloring: it gave me a HEADACHE. Or maybe it was Pepsi Crystal? Anyway NOBODY liked it.)

Pepsi One: that is/was the one calorie version. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't real Pepsi. Close, but not quite close enough for me.

Now, I had a friend tell me the Pepsi and Coke flavors were:

Pepsi: Lime and Cinnamon.

Coke: Lemon and Ginger.

Although I see I switched order. Anyway she said that's why Pepsi goes with Thai food, which uses more lime, and Coke goes with Chinese food, which uses more lemon and ginger. So she said. I know that when I was younger and wanted a Pepsi more than anything, limeade would take away the craving.

For me it's just Pepsi. I drink way too much probably.....

Hmmm. Coke or Pepsi? It depends on my mood. Normally it's Diet Pepsi.

Diet Pepsi tastes like Pepsi.

Diet Coke does NOT taste like Coke. It's bilge water!

Unfortunately most fast food places serve Coke and Diet Coke which means I'm ordering Iced Tea. :raz:

Once in awhile I do get a hankering for an ice cold Coke and the drive thru at Mickey D's scratches that itch quite well.

On a long drive, I'll take Mountain Dew to keep me wired...uhm, I mean, alert.

But if you really get right down to basics, I'd rather have a Nehi (nostalgia raises it's ugly head).

Anyone out west notice that 7-Elevens & AM/PM's (competing convenience stores) have both changed their soda dispensers? 7-Eleven now offers flavor shots (lemon, cherry and another flavor that I can't remember) built right into the dispenser (flavor shots used to be in a separate dispenser). Plus now the dipenser fills the cups toot sweet. Zip! and your cup is filled.

AM/PM's, on the other hand, now offer up to 16 different kinds of drinks (not just sodas) from their dispensers. Plus, you have your choice of either ice cubes or crushed ice. :wub:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I'm with Chris: it's Mexican Coke in the glass bottles.

That's likely due to real sugar (like it used to be here) rather than the corn syruppy mess we have in the US> :hmmm:

I only drink DP from the last real sugar bottler in the world, Dublin TX. :biggrin:

Texas Tequila Sunrise:

1 Bottle 100% Agave Tequila

1 shot glass, rim salted

1 lime, quartered

1 sunrise

*Pour tequila in salted shot glass. Drop in

1/4 lime. Contemplate the sunrise.

Drink until done. Repeat.

• 2 weeks later...

I drink Coke from anythink I can get my hands on. That includes cans, bottles, and travel mugs.

I think silver suits me so...

...but red is also for me!

Iron Chef Morimoto all the way!

From me, a fan of Iron Chef.

I'm with Chris: it's Mexican Coke in the glass bottles.

That's likely due to real sugar (like it used to be here) rather than the corn syruppy mess we have in the US> :hmmm:

I only drink DP from the last real sugar bottler in the world, Dublin TX. :biggrin:

Exactly. I hate corn syrup, there's no reason for it to be in soft drinks. That's why I stock up on kosher-for-Passover Coke when it's out -- corn isn't kosher for Passover, so they make a version with sugar for a limited time. But this year, they used sucrose, so I lose. :sad: It's still better than friggin' high-fructose corn syrup.

re coke vs. pepsi:

I prefer Coke from the plastic bottles.

I prefer Pepsi from the cans.

There's no good reason why I would prefer one over the other based on the container, but I do!

Best of all: Coke served with a squeeze of lime and a splash of grenadine.

• 1 month later...

hello everyone, this is my first post on eG. The subject of Coke vs Pepsi is very clear for me.

I am a cokeaholic. Good thing I don't care if I put a little "something" in it. :wink: But if I do want a drink, my fav is rum & coke-but that's another topic.

for years I only drank coke in the evening cause I drank milk during the day. I then became lactose intolerent so swithched to coke with every meal, including breakfast! I was up to 4 litres (quarts) a day. I have been trying to cut back for quite awhile now. Some days I'm good & some days I'm not.

Yes I know it will take the rust off of anything but you know what- I loved the taste, not to mention the sugar high. I can't stand coffee so I get my caffine from coke. I do not drink coke when we travel to the USA unless I bring my own. IMHO I find it far too tame compared to our local Canadian made coke. Sounds crazy I know, but it just doesn't have the kick that I crave.

Diet coke is not an option for me as it's made with Aspartame. I have had the caffine free coke & it's not bad, but I still love the original.

Fountain coke is also not something I will drink unless I'm so thirsty I need a beverage. I usually drink water (bottled) while I'm in a restaurant & then head for a convenience store right after we finish to get a bottle of coke.

Oh yes, only a bottle for me if I have a choice. When we are at someone elses home I usually don't have a choice & I will accept coke from a can, but I find more often than not I can taste the can. All & I do mean ALL of our friends now I only drink coke & then always make sure they have some on hand for me.

If we are out visiting at a persons home that does not know my love for coke & they offer me a drink, I always ask if it's "real" coke or (just) cola. Of course I try to be as tactful as possible, but if it isn't coke, I'll pass & drink water. I'm a real snob when it comes to my beverage, sorry.

I wish I liked wine or beer but I don't, so I will continue to try to break my "habit" & try to drink more water. :laugh:

doodle

Everyone welcome doodle, who is a dear friend of mine! Hi girl! Nice first post.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

For me the ideal way to drink coke is from a mix originating from a glass bottle or can that is already cold, and poured into a tall glass with lots of CRUSHED ice.

I don't know what it is about crushed ice but it really adds to the enjoyment of the experience.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

For me the ideal way to drink coke is from a mix originating from a glass bottle or can that is already cold, and poured into a tall glass with lots of CRUSHED ice.

I don't know what it is about crushed ice but it really adds to the enjoyment of the experience.

see, isn't that funny, cause I do not like ice in my coke. Just make sure it is ice cold from the fridge. Small bottles pls, no large 2 L ones.

doodle

Just today I was sipping a coke clasic and it had an aftertaste reminiscent of the smell of mothballs...a fond if strange childhood memory.

I like my coke, poured from the can into a glass (never plastic) and it doesn't bother me if it is close to room temp (not hotter than 70 degrees).

Had a can of grape crush so evil and tasty - I'm done for another 5 years on that one! Ever think how odd it is how we outgrow some of the flavours we pledged allegiance to in our youth?

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

see, isn't that funny, cause I do not like ice in my coke. Just make sure it is ice cold from the fridge.

:shock: oh no!! it needs a bit of ice to melt a wee bit, no? and isn't the best part at the bottom when it's a cold mixture of water and soda? say it ain't so. :sad:

not for me Tommy, no ice unless it hasn't had time to become really cold in the fridge. Only waters down the taste & the kick --- the reason I love it so much in the first place. Call me crazy :wacko:

On the other hand, I drink my water the way Bernaise drinks her coke. Room temp. - don't like it cold. I think I read some research quite awhile ago that says liquid is better for you if it is not tooooo cold. Can't remember the source.

doodle

Just today I was sipping a coke clasic and it had an aftertaste reminiscent of the smell of mothballs...a fond if strange childhood memory.

I like my coke, poured from the can into a glass (never plastic) and it doesn't bother me if it is close to room temp (not hotter than 70 degrees).

Had a can of grape crush so evil and tasty - I'm done for another 5 years on that one! Ever think how odd it is how we outgrow some of the flavours we pledged allegiance to in our youth?

You're here too? Hey Bernaise, nice to see you over here! :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 15 years later...

Reviving this ancient discussion...

"Cinnamon Coca-Cola coming to the U.S."

Coca-Cola is going to get festive early this year.

Cinnamon Coca-Cola will help fans ring in the holidays this year. After debuting a version of the flavor for United Kingdom customers, the company is bringing the flavor to the U.S.

Very few details have been revealed, but it’s likely that the flavor will debut in time for the holiday season...  

I have always thought the cinnamon flavor in Coke was very "assertive". I wonder how over-the-top this new flavor will be.

They also announced (and the very end of the article)  that the other new flavor for the holidays is a limited-edition Winter Spiced Cranberry Sprite. This makes me wonder what the "Winter Spice" will be.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver