• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Olive oil....

I have a couple of very nice olive oils that i use for finishing off dishes and salad dressings. But I don't think I have a good oil to cook with.

What do you use for everyday cooking? Where do you get it from? Is there anything half good in the supermarkets (specifically Sainsburies?) Has anyone been to "Oliviers & Co"? Is it any good?

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

The thing about olive oils in the UK is that around this time every year, we're on the cusp of worthlessness. The dead zone. The culinary flat water. Olive oil doesn't age well - especially the big, fruity, expensive tuscan ones. Those fancy 2002 River Cafe bottles in Sainsbury's that sell for 17 quid? Practically worthless at this time of year, imo. The problem is, despite the oils degrading, everyone is still trying to get rid of the prior year's supply. So - first of all - don't spend any kind of money on an olive oil unless it says 2003 on the bottle - and unfortunatley they're still less easy to find than they should be.

Around March/April, when the transition becomes more accessible, there's a really good basic evoo - Sicilian, I think - called Frantoia. I first came across it the US - they sell it in Sainsbury's (small bottles around 5 quid - so it's not v. cheap). It's in the realm of big, peppery oils, rather than the lighter ones - but that's just my taste. Again, if you go there now, you'll see a pale, insipid yellow oil on display, instead of the verdant, harder greens of a new vintage. So - don't touch it until the colour changes - and it will.

I'm very, very lucky on the more expensive oils. My uncle has a house in Tuscany next to a wine and oil vineyard - and he just brought me back half a case of the new 2003. For drizzling or finishing, they're exceptional.

Anyway - find someone to ask, if you can. You're more likely to find a 2003 vintage at a good deli, than in a supermarket. But either way, don't pay big money for anything with 2002 on it.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

...there's a really good basic evoo - Sicilian, I think - called Frantoia.

I use Frantoia Barbera as my "house" evoo, and can attest to its quality (looks like this). Big flavor, big nose, lots of olive character. It's an unfiltered Sicilian olive oil. I get it here at Fairway for around $US14/liter (~£UK7.60?), which I consider quite cheap. It is an excellentm excellent oil, although not at the level of a top-shelf boutique Tuscan or Ligurian evoo.

--

...there's a really good basic evoo - Sicilian, I think - called Frantoia.

I use Frantoia Barbera as my "house" evoo, and can attest to its quality (looks like this). Big flavor, big nose, lots of olive character. It's an unfiltered Sicilian olive oil. I get it here at Fairway for around $US14/liter (~£UK7.60?), which I consider quite cheap. It is an excellentm excellent oil, although not at the level of a top-shelf boutique Tuscan or Ligurian evoo.

Yep. That's the one. It's slightly more expensive here in the UK - but I try to use it as my house oil also, when I have the chance.

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

I have bought oil from Oliviers & Co. The big advantage is that they have a selection out so you can taste them. There is nothing more irritating than buying a bottle and discovering once you get it home that you don't like it - seems a terrible waste. By sampling before you buy at least you know what you're getting. As for what I bought - can't remember! The disadvantage there is that they are all similarly "canned" so you don't have a distinctive label as a reminder of what it is.

My standard one I buy is the unfiltered Arbequina from Belazu in the 1L tins. It is reasonably priced, and is good enough for general use, and comes in a nice tin (With a good pouring spout). I get it from Tesco, but I think they sell it in Sainsburys as well.

I'm also a sucker for buying anything that looks interesting whenever I go into a deli or big supermarket.

P.S

I think putting these sort of threads in the regional boards is a good thing - let's have more!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

what do people make of the belazu range? i like their preserved lemons and they do some nice dry black olives. anything else good from them?

does anyone know any more about the brand? i might go and google them.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

Let us know what you find out. They've become ubiquitous in supermarkets, but are they anything more than packaging?

Flickr Food

I like their tapenade but I haven't tried anything else from the range.

The best place I've come across for buying olive oil is Valvona and Crolla in Edinburgh where you can taste before you buy, but I'm afraid for general cooking where the flavour isn't prominent I'm not fussy at all and go with whatever tastes broadly okay from the supermarket. Should I be more picky?

• 2 weeks later...

the belazu website is quite interesting. they've set up a school in morocco to give something back to the local community.

so, taking what they say at face value, they seem to be jolly good ethical types. which we like.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

there was a piece in the Sunday papers about the best olive oil and the one whose name came up most often was Seggiano. Naturally I chucked out the paper this morning so can't help you with any more info than that - how helpful is this, on a scale of 1-10? At home at the moment I'm using Monino Gran Fruttato which is grassy and peppery and thoroughly delicious for bread-dunking.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

At home at the moment I'm using Monino Gran Fruttato which is grassy and peppery and thoroughly delicious for bread-dunking.

Where from/How much? And is it your regular oil, or finishing?

Flickr Food

I don't have the bottle in front of me, so I don't know the name, but I wanted to post this before the weekend in case any of you are going to Borough.

There is an olive oil stand in the part of the market that is open air (where the chili guy, olive, green tea, and sometimes cider guy is).

Their olive oils are all decent but there are a few that are quite remarkable. I bought a bottle of the naturally pepperiest olive oil I have ever tasted and have been making incredible dressings with this... I bought it two weeks ago and I'm almost out! Its so good, I crave it.

Anyway, you can taste all of them for yourself, there are little dishes of the stuff with bread cubes. Highly recommend.

I'd also recommend the one that Brindisa sells, nice and fruity.