• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mary McCranks

Sounds like my kind of place. I'm going down there for Lunch on Valentine's Day. Anyone been, and any suggestions?

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Fai Jay, is this the place you mean?

(P.S.: It's always helpful to identify in the thread title and in the post where the restaurant is located, as well as any additional info about the place.. .especially for those who don't know where Chehalis is....)

For the record, while on the topic of Chehalis/Centralia eats.... I LOVE BURGERVILLE! Not quite a Mary McCrank experience (at least judging from MM's Web site, I've never been). Burgerville is a burger joint (duh) located just off I-5 (take the same exit as the outlet malls and turn East at the end of the exit, Burgerville will be on the north side of the street). They feature seasonal produce and local products (like seasonal berry shakes and locally produced cheeses for their burgers). And the "special" sauce rules. This is a great place for burgers.

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread on Mary McCrank's.....

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

I had lunch at Mary McCranks last summer as part of a group family reunion. It's a cute place, country setting, and features made from scratch comfort food. In other words, not cutting edge cuisine, but satisfying for what it is (and was a perfect setting for several great aunts in attendance).

I ordered Chicken and Dumplings, something I never make, but would like to have someone make 'homemade' for me. It was ok, satisfying, but not very remarkable, and didn't taste as good as my aunts homemade Chicken and Dumplings. I appreciated the place for it's historical and pretty setting, and the company I was in, over the food.

Mary McCranks has a website? Yipes, that would be like getting email from Grandma Moses. For Mary McCranks think white doilies, butter pickles in cut glass relish bowls, jam with biscuits with fried chicken with pie ala mode for dessert or swiss steak or fried trout or baked chops smothered in gravy. Think old fashioned sunday dinners at Aunt Bea's in Mayberry RFD. Think another time, another place, another century. Drive up in a 55 Chevy Bel Air nomad, two tone, baby blue and white. Wear a pleated skirt with hem mid calf, cardigan sweater, white shirt/peter pan collar, headband, sensible shoes. Use your napkin, but be dainty about it. Do not discuss politics or religion (not counting saying grace). Write a thank you note.

• 1 year later...

Abra --- Maybe La Tarasca for Mexican?

Just an Idea...I went to McCranks last year...it was ok...

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

Much better decor! I hear that they have Original Tiffany Glass there....

Have Fun!

Jason

• 2 weeks later...
Much better decor! I hear that they have Original Tiffany Glass there....

Have Fun!

Jason

I ate at Mary McCranks years ago on the way to Portland. What I remember other than the quaint country decor and gift shop was their excellent house dressing- celery seed if I remember correctly. They also had some amazing cobbler for dessert. They had a cookbook of their recipes which I purchased as a gift to my MIL. Definitely not fine dining, but good food in an out of the way place.

Debra

Edited by Chef Deb (log)

Debra

www.mychefdelivers.com