• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Blog: Pim

pim

Pim - OK, three star meal, pix great, thanks - but the Scarywurst - I love that stuff! The Austrians do a sandwich version called bosna - which is one of the best drunk foods in the world. There's an especially good truck in the middle of Innsbruck that doesn't even bother to set up until the middle of the night.

Bon voyage girl.

Pim; I'm a little late to the party (darn "day job" :wacko:), but what a superb blog. Makes me feel a little like a third world type when I compare my "usual" menu to what you presented, but splendid nonetheless. Thanks for all the work and the excellent photos.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Thanks Pim for this report !

Last year, I had the tart of duck foie gras, chestnuts, and potatoes, encrusted in thin slices of crisp potatoes.

It was a dish on its own (no Guinea fowl's Ibreast with it). It also came with a entire truffle inside.

With a glass of Faugeres "Les Bastides d'Alquier" (can't remember the vintage :( ).

Well,very simply the best dish I've ever eaten...

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche

Hi everyone,

I thought I would write a farewell post to officially end my week of eGullet Food Blog. Marlena Spieler will now take on the responsibility. It has been a lot of fun, though I must admit that I am happy that I no longer have to remember to snap a photo before I eat!

I am now back in California, and to the much less interesting world of daily work. I simply can't wait until my next adventure. :smile:

By the way, since you found this Food Blog interesting, you might also find it fun to see some pictures I took while eating, cooking, and otherwise playing during my recent three-week visit back home to Bangkok. The pictures are on my photoblog.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments on the thread and in private.

cheers,

Pim

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

(weighing in rather late on the 'schmaltz' comments):

In Germany, it's usually lard, or pig fat. If it isn't, they usually have the description in front of it (hühnerschmaltz or whatever, for chicken).

I tripled checked this with my ever-present German/English dictionary and the German fiance before I dared post here. :biggrin:

Oh, and the currywurst is great. It's not always served in such a frightening style, but yeah, I guess it never looks 'pretty', either!

Great blog!

I am now back in California, and to the much less interesting world of daily work. I simply can't wait until my next adventure. :smile:

Hey, there's a potluck on Saturday!!!! You are still listed as a 'maybe' and I hope you'll be able to make it!

Great blog -- I'm ready to go to Europe!

By the way, since you found this Food Blog interesting, you might also find it fun to see some pictures I took while eating, cooking, and otherwise playing during my recent three-week visit back home to Bangkok. The pictures are on my photoblog.

I finally get to see your beautiful face. I was wondering whether you'd ever show a picture of yourself in your blog. :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing part of your adventure with us.

Michael aka "Pan"

I finally get to see you beautiful face.  I was wondering whether you'd ever show a picture of yourself in your blog.

:blink::blink:

A picture of me, oh, you meant the one with the giant cup in front of my face?

Why thank you, on behalf of the cup, I suppose... :rolleyes:

If you're talking about the girl who was pounding the curry paste in one of the photos, no that wasn't me, that was one of the maids at my aunt's house. I've got her number, if you want. But then again you would have to deal with her big burly gardener boyfriend. And, trust me, you don't want to... :laugh:

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Hey, there's a potluck on Saturday!!!! You are still listed as a 'maybe' and I hope you'll be able to make it!

Great blog -- I'm ready to go to Europe!

Hi Carolyn,

Sorry, I won't be able to make it. It's too bad, really. Perhaps next time.

thanks for the kind words and the invite,

Pim

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Pim - OK, three star meal, pix great, thanks - but the Scarywurst - I love that stuff! The Austrians do a sandwich version called bosna - which is one of the best drunk foods in the world. There's an especially good truck in the middle of Innsbruck that doesn't even bother to set up until the middle of the night.

Bon voyage girl.

My girl Louisa. Somehow I knew you would appreciate this. :biggrin:

Next time I am anywhere near Innsbruck I will go looking for your truck, properly inebriated, but of course.

:smile:

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

I finally get to see you beautiful face.  I was wondering whether you'd ever show a picture of yourself in your blog.

:blink::blink:

A picture of me, oh, you meant the one with the giant cup in front of my face?

Why thank you, on behalf of the cup, I suppose... :rolleyes:

Don't be too modest. You are gorgeous!

And by now, I've looked at all the pictures and made it most of the way through your "Eating Bangkok" blog. :smile:

Michael aka "Pan"

Hi guys,

I guess I'm going to be taking over this food blog but I'm thinking: how on earth can I do justice to this metier without a camera, only my little words?

also, after pim's amazing week of eating, i'm feeling a cross between a slut and a nun, foodwise. first of all, have been dieting and am now miserable with the whole thing, eating weird things like salad salad and also cabbage soup, and wishing instead that it was a thin cake of foie gras and leek encrusted in potatoes, that sort of thing.

today for lunch: a tiny piece of pain poilane topped with some st marcellin so ripe i could swoon, warmed slightly with a little truffle oil. i suppose the misery part of this is that it is a very very small portion. lots and lots and lots of salad to go with my meager but magnificent cheese croute.

dinner: was sent a piece of beautiful pig and i shall cook it. very beautiful pig: raised in the fresh outdoors of the northern england countryside, from a family that includes both hampshire pig and gloustershire white. its siblings are to be sold at sainsbury's. i ate another member of its family at brian turner's restaurant a few weeks ago and loved it so much that the pig farmer sent this to my home. brian turners pork was very good and i have high hopes, even higher hopes for this one because i'm going to blanket the little roast with garlic and thyme.

talk with you all after dinner........

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Fabulous blog, Pim! So what was your favorite dish of the trip...?

This one practically had me weeping at first bite. The best dish I had so far, this year.

BHGrenouille.jpg

I could barely stop myself but for the fear of utterly freaking out German Boy. I did lick my fingers though. I didn't care if that was a fancy *** place, them frog legs deserved to be eaten à la main. Finge-licking food, and finger-licking good definitely.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Thank you so much for your blog! It was wonderful reading of your food adventures, and the pictures just made me chartreuse with envy! Except, perhaps, the scary wurst. That I could have done without :biggrin: .

I read your Bangkok blog earlier in the week and to my surprise, I've eaten at some of the same places! I've eaten at Klang Soi on Soi Klang many times with family. I was there last spring and I agree, it was much better several years ago. Their pla dook foo was suitably puffy, however :smile: . And the sports club...my father was asked to join many many years ago but he declined :sad: . He would have been the only Yuthasatrkosol to be a member so it would have been great fun if he had joined--they're so competitive!

So we had Scarywurst for lunch.  It was actually not anywhere near as disgusting as it looked.  The wurst was freshly grilled, sliced into small pieces, then smothered with ketchup and curry powder, then served on a paper plate with french fries.  Plus, it was kind of a fun way to prepare ourselves for the dinner at the three-starred Le Buerehiesel.

oh man, i forgot about currywurst until this post. my mom ate this when i was little. the smell, the curry powder mixed with ketchup. hmm i wonder why she gave it up when i was old enough to cook?

thanks for the memories! haha =]

Edited by toni guy (log)

Great pics pim. Did you get any funny looks taking pictures of your food in a *** restaurant? I only ask because I was tempted to try to snap a few during some of my meals in Paris, but was afraid of the reaction I'd get.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946