• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cutting Boards

CRUZMISL

• 5 weeks later...

End grain boards drink a LOT of oil/wax. Mine needed to be oiled daily for a week or so, a few times a week for many weeks after. Finally it stabilized; now I oil it once a month at most. Be sure to oil it on both sides, especially in the beginning, so you don't encourage it to warp.

Dave at Boardsmith makes the nicest boards I've seen or used.

Very excited with my new board from Dave...

New Board.jpg

So, here's my question: This board wants to suck up a lot of oil. I sent an email to Dave and he suggested:

Apply oil as needed. You can apply too much so a little will go a long way.

I guess I'm confused as to what is too much?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 1 year later...

Since I recently ordered a new knife, I am looking for a new cutting board. I use mostly polyethelene. The thin ones warp however. I like how polyethelene can go in the dishwasher. I have some wood boards but the small ones are cracked and warped because I did not take care of them. And I'm afraid to cut on the nice ones.

I like the idea of an end grain board for cutting, and was thinking about getting a Boos. But I notice that while many of the edge grain boards from Boos are NSF, none of the Boos end grain boards I've read about are NSF. Is end grain inherently worse for sanitation? Does anyone make an NSF end grain board?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Can't say I have ever seen a Bed Bath and Beyond coupon, as much as I have heard about same. I didn't notice the boards you linked were NSF. At least they don't seem to list it that I can find. Also, I once had what I believe was a polypropylene board that warped badly and slid all over. I don't think I would consider polypropylene again.

Oh, the poly boards warp, especially the thin ones. The only good thing about them is that you can toss them in the dishwasher, which is probably the easiest and best way (as well as the cheapest) to sanitize them in a commerical kitchen.

The oldest trick in the world, and one that my Chef would rap me over the knuckles with a ladle with if I didn't do it, is to set the cutting board on a damp rag or wad of paper towels. Even if it is concave or convex, it won't slip or slide.

Love wood cutting boards but HDPE is much easier to handle...that's what I've mostly used for the past 30+ years.

I wash the board real good and them pour boiling water over it...I've never had one warp.

Sam's Club has 15" x 20" HDPE cutting boards for $9.00....that's quite a deal!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

No one knows of an end grain board that is NSF?

Edit: I found at least one that is NSF:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Maple-End-Grain-20x15-inch-Chopping-Block/3300227/product.html

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Love wood cutting boards but HDPE is much easier to handle...that's what I've mostly used for the past 30+ years.

I wash the board real good and them pour boiling water over it...I've never had one warp.

Sam's Club has 15" x 20" HDPE cutting boards for $9.00....that's quite a deal!

I like HDPE very much and would probably still use HDPE for meat. But I think end grain wood is easier on the knives.

Some say it's easier on the knives, but I have an end grain butcher block and I haven't noticed an appreciable difference.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I gave up on heavy wooden boards because they were so difficult to keep clean. Finally I donated mine and switched to the plastic type that go in the d/w. I'm much happier and my knives seem none the worse for wear.

This is the one that interests me http://www.webstaurantstore.com/18-x-24-wood-cutting-board/40711824.html and I was wondering if anyone has done business with the store, or have had experience with this cutting board - durability is paramount for me and I've read of other cutting boards coming apart.

... Shel

The description of a cutting board I'm considering says the board is electronically bonded. What is electronic bonding, and how might it be better than boding done with glues and adhesives? Thanks!

... Shel

I have purchased a few things from the store (cereal dispensers, ice molds, full-size draining racks, a plate rack). The service was fine.

I have no experience with that cutting board so can't help you there.

The one time I did have to return something, one of the draining racks had broken welds, they promptly sent me a replacement and told me to discard the broken one.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

No! IMHO, 18" x 24" that is too big and too heavy for a cutting board for you.

Consider 12" x 18"

Why?

You can use a regular super market plastic bag to fit over a 12" x 18" board, when you are preparing chicken, pork and other "dirty" tasks you don't have to wash a very heavy board.

Also make sure the board has finger grooves on the sides for lifting.

dcarch

It's the use of RF energy fields (think microwave but at a much lower frequency) to heat up the glue that is bonding the strips of wood together.

The RF energy is used not only to heat the glue but to cure it very quickly as well. As a microwave excites the water molecules, the RF energy does as well but may not allow enough time for the glue to penetrate the wood fibers enough for a good bond. This is a common method for curing glue in a factory setting.

No! IMHO, 18" x 24" that is too big and too heavy for a cutting board for you.

Consider 12" x 18"

Why?

You can use a regular super market plastic bag to fit over a 12" x 18" board, when you are preparing chicken, pork and other "dirty" tasks you don't have to wash a very heavy board.

Also make sure the board has finger grooves on the sides for lifting.

dcarch

A 12 x 18 board is too small for the task for which I'm considering the board. I've thought about the heaviness associated with a board of this size, and it does concern me somewhat. I have found a company that will ,make a lighter-weight plastic-or-some-such board that they'll cut to my specs, so that's an option.

... Shel