• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to eat in trieste?

bigorre

Buffet da Pepe

Easy to find in the heart of the old town...simmering pots of various pork parts (roast, ham, tongue, cotechino), fished out upon your request and trimmed of a few slices, then served with sauerkraut (Trieste was Austro-Hungarian for a lot longer than it's been Italian).

Look for Fred Plotkin's writings on Friuli for more, but don't miss da Pepe.

There are also several classic and historic cafes here in Illy country.

If you'll have a car and want to stay in great agriturismo, let me know. It's about 10 minutes north of the city.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Thanks a lot for the replies, Yes I will have a car. Basically I will be in the region for 4 days, and the main thing I want to do is EAT GREAT FOOD! So bring on the diffrent options I will note them carefully and report back thanks in advance.

I think Friuli is one of the most underappreciated regions in Italy. Trieste is beautiful, especially at night. If you have a car, be sure to explore Grado, a small seaside resort with nice wine bars and great fish restaurants (sadly I can't rememebr where we ate there), Aquileia, famous for its Roman ruins, and Cividale, which is actually closer to Udine.

In Trieste, you will be near one of the premier winemaking areas in Italy, the Collio. There is an immense variety of first class wines (mostly white) that come from the Collio. There are also numerous wine routes in the towns of Capriva and Cormons. A great place to eat is La Subida in Cormons. Here you will be able to sample the traditional, Austrian-influenced cuisine of Friuli, in a lighter style with rustic yet elegant surroundings.

Also exceptional is Le Dune, in Mariano del Friuli, near Gorizia. The specialty is seafood. We usually order the antipasto, which consists of about ten small courses. You can then proceed to pastas and secondi, but the antipasti are more than enough for a wonderful meal. Nice wine list too.

Best,

Antonio