• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suspicious Tuna

Liza

• 1 year later...

How timely this thread resurfaced... I just noticed "dyed salmon" at my local Stop&Shop, it was prepackaged and mentioned on the label - total turn-off.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

I had a conversation about dyed tuna with my fish guy. It seems that a lot of tuna is pumped full of CO2 which gives the jewel toned color.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I had a conversation about dyed tuna with my fish guy.  It seems that a lot of tuna is pumped full of CO2 which gives the jewel toned color.

Tuna and CO2

And when a less-then-reputable-fishmonger sells you poor quality tuna that has been ‘hopped up’ it leaches a pinkish scum as it defrosts.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I dunno... I am floundering around with the CO2 concept.

edit to add: I just read a little more closely... That is CO (carbon monoxide) not CO2 (carbon dioxide).

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

From the front page of this site I Smelt something was going on here so, even if you are hard of Herring Shark my words :

Like a Sturgeon for the very first time I have come to this Plaice with a Sole Porpoise.

Nam, pla, tank and serial no. I can't tell you. John Dory

Wahoo!

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

• 2 weeks later...

pmji, i'm new here :). The product is called saku-imported frozen from the Phillipines and other SE Asian processors.

The color is due to a "natural smoke" color enhancer. It's some da-glo stuff. I've used it before, was not my choosing.

hth, danny