• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suspicious Tuna

Liza

Holy mackeral, it hardly matters what waters have been crabbed already.  If you choose to die by the sword, fish the waters again.  If we are Dungenesses like us will probably run out of ideas.

So there!

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

If you tackle too many puns at once, someone might fish your bass.  On the other hand, if you were yellow, fins of punning might snapper up.

that was so intense.  i'm left shell-shocked.

Oh Koi.  Oh Koi.  Then I won't salt the wounds.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

The skill of a sturgeon there, jhlurie.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

At the risk of ruining a perfectly good thread, I'm going to take a crack at the original question.

Could it be that the fish had been frozen, but not quickly enough?  If so, ice crystals could have damaged the cellular structure, causing it to ooze when thawed.

Regardless of cause, I wouldn't buy an oozing tuna steak any more than I would buy an oozing beef steak.  Unless maybe I was planning to boil it...

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Albacore him up right soon.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

At the risk of sounding even mildly knowledgable about anything, I can state for sure that it was definitely not blood.

Thanks again B Edulis for reminding me that Alex is back to answer all our questions. I'm sure when Alex answers, I'll be fin-ished with this question.

Are you sure?  I was going to ask them to Perch this topic on top of the forum by pinning it to Minnow-mize the amount of time the Group, er... has to Flounder around to find it.   :biggrin:

Never mind.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

{Internal monologue:

"Jeez, I thought I posted a pretty interesting topic. I mean,  tuna oozing pink liquid spotted in Miami and in New York City. Wow, that's a lot of posts! No way nears the ABalic thread, but heck, who's counting. . . oh....so...it's all about...wordplay...right...that's, um, cool, and still, all in all, lots of people are posting on your topic, so what's the worry, right? Just because you're alarmed at a certain not-from-nature color scheme appropriating your favorite fish...no problem..."}

{pause in internal monologue while I refresh my drink}

{pause in internal monologue while I refresh my drink}

Just for the halibut: not pink I hope.