• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2003 vintage (France)

ctgm

This weeks Harpers had an interesting article about the 2003 Bordeaux vintage. They were quoting Christian Moueix as saying that there will be "some fantastic wines and some very dissapointing wines with no taste - completely cooked". He also warned that the en primeur tastings are going to be incredibly difficult to the high tannin contents - what joy :blink:

I have tasted only 2 or 3 from Bordeaux, obviously as the producers think that they are incredible, but to be honest I was not overly impressed.

I tasted a 2003 Volnay in the cask last week and was quite impressed by the concentration of fruit there.

i suppose it is caveat emptor

I too just spent 4 days sampling 2003s out of barrel in Burg. I will offer this analogy:

a fast sleek beautiful horse that jumps out of the starting gate right away and promises to win, only to grow tired halfway through the race and end up coming in somewhere in the thick of the middle.

over it

I was in Burgundy last November. I tasted whole lines of 2002's. When we were finished with those, I asked to taste the 03's out of tank. They were uniformly delicious. The malolactic fermentation was not even done, but the wines I tasted were chewy, fat and delicious. Burgundy makes California wine this year.

Mark

2003 Burgundy - I was at Ch. Fuissé and the owner was saying that 2003 was a year that no one had seen the likes of before and therefore people were not 100% sure on what the best thing to do was.

I like Caremas analogy and think that he might be spot on. Without the acidity I am not sure how long the appeal will last for. I also think that when you get into regulating the acid levels, the wines become less pure.

I like Caremas analogy and think that he might be spot on. Without the acidity I am not sure how long the appeal will last for. I also think that when you get into regulating the acid levels, the wines become less pure.

I know it is hard to believe, but I am a she, I really am. They let women barrel sample in Burgundy too. they even let eight year old boys. My son preferred the 2002s. Some were so wound up tight and beautiful they were like having your mouth taped-up shut with a superball inside. :cool:

From what I was gathering from the winemakers, 2003 was problematic as everyone was on vacation in August when picking time became dire a month earlier than usual, and the acidic struture isn't there to support long term aging, especially in the whites. In terms of the premiers crus, some suffered worse than others. Right out of the barrel they are certainly lush gorgeous and unrestrained. Drink up quick and love the moment you are in.

over it