• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day Dinner

Joanc

• 2 years later...

Once again, it's Valentine's Day.  I re-read this whole thread.  Boy was I so much more on the ball years ago than I am now.  Who was that person back then???? LOL

I made so much food yesterday for Super Bowl and I really didn't think further out than that.  I'm sure Ronnie won't turn down prime rib or steaks.  Probably will SV if he picks steaks because it's supposed to pour rain tomorrow.  I have some foie frozen so that might come out.  The star will be the strawberries from my cleaning angel last summer that I hoarded and froze.  Just simple over angel food cake with some fresh whipped cream.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

Once again, it's Valentine's Day.  I re-read this whole thread.  Boy was I so much more on the ball years ago than I am now.  Who was that person back then???? LOL

You and me both, girl.  I'm sitting here at my computer with ALL of my Valentines piled up next to me.  They should have been in the mail to family member last week.  I figured we'd have Super Bowl leftovers, but Mr. Kim feels that is not in keeping with the spirit of the day.  So, while he was at a vestry meeting at church tonight, I hied myself to Wegman's for filet mignon, shrimp, baking potatoes, and a dessert.  No luck with either the shrimp or the steak.  The only shrimp they had was SE Asian, which I don't buy, and the "tenderloins" looked like scrag ends.  So, I'll have to go out again tomorrow and search at another store.  Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!  

• Haha 2

We're doing Valentine's Day in two parts. Monday night we went to a nice little restaurant, a classic 'old school' fine-dining kind of place called Level Four. (The kids who still live with us had frozen pizza while we were out).

Mrs. M had a mushroom risotto that was very nice. Several different mushroom varieties and all done well. The plating was 'creative' - it looked a bit like something out of a Dr. Seuss book (which isn't really a bad thing, for sure).

image.thumb.jpeg.b8df2cfb7178e4b97b0ac2b783352f7a.jpeg

I had a Sous Vide pork belly, with chili bacon toping, a smoky teriyaki sauce underneath, with Brussels sprouts and bok-choy. Very nice as well. The dish included chicharron, but the humidity killed the crispiness and it was meh...

image.thumb.jpeg.72f0d554960b7f335ac6d764dffbaee1.jpeg

We didn't get a picture of the dessert, which was a chocolate Malva pudding. 

Tonight (Tuesday) the kids and I are cooking: Hand made pasta for fettuccine alfredo, with a caprese salad, and my daughter will make dessert of some sort. Hopefully I'll get pics to post.

Edited by pastameshugana
spelling... (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 4

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

My pasta dough before resting (it's been a few years, I'm very pleased this actually worked!):

image.thumb.jpeg.c8f81bd64233ffa6d3a818245fb18e61.jpeg

All the noodles cut and ready to go:

image.thumb.jpeg.278e83b626c94b1334f94e5d08e59efa.jpeg

Plated pasta (plating is a bit messy, no excuses just bad execution). The alfredo turned out perfect, and I was able to teach the two youngest how to make a roux at the same time:

image.thumb.jpeg.5420b9645702cbcee1b84fd4f45db139.jpeg

The "caprese" salad - in quotes because I used basil and rocket - which is delicious but maybe not exactly authentic. Olive oil, salt, pepper, and a sun dried chili mango balsamic reduction that was delightful. The bread is just ready made from Woolies...

image.thumb.jpeg.d44952faceb75705eed2dd11a01c6fae.jpeg

And dessert! Daughter #2 (12yo) made sugar cookies and pound cake. She intended to make chocolate covered strawberries as well, but the chocolate didn't work, so I made a reduction of the strawberries with lemon and simple syrup for topping:

image.thumb.jpeg.b61b919a95a0d84d8cfc298742fbb5aa.jpeg

We forced Mrs. Meshugana to wait upstairs the last hour while we got everything finished and decorated, it was a great night!

• Like 8
  • Delicious 6

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

3 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

My pasta dough before resting (it's been a few years, I'm very pleased this actually worked!):

image.thumb.jpeg.c8f81bd64233ffa6d3a818245fb18e61.jpeg

All the noodles cut and ready to go:

image.thumb.jpeg.278e83b626c94b1334f94e5d08e59efa.jpeg

Plated pasta (plating is a bit messy, no excuses just bad execution). The alfredo turned out perfect, and I was able to teach the two youngest how to make a roux at the same time:

image.thumb.jpeg.5420b9645702cbcee1b84fd4f45db139.jpeg

The "caprese" salad - in quotes because I used basil and rocket - which is delicious but maybe not exactly authentic. Olive oil, salt, pepper, and a sun dried chili mango balsamic reduction that was delightful. The bread is just ready made from Woolies...

image.thumb.jpeg.d44952faceb75705eed2dd11a01c6fae.jpeg

And dessert! Daughter #2 (12yo) made sugar cookies and pound cake. She intended to make chocolate covered strawberries as well, but the chocolate didn't work, so I made a reduction of the strawberries with lemon and simple syrup for topping:

image.thumb.jpeg.b61b919a95a0d84d8cfc298742fbb5aa.jpeg

We forced Mrs. Meshugana to wait upstairs the last hour while we got everything finished and decorated, it was a great night!

Well-done, P. Meshugana!

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Lamb shanks (local, certified organic), osso buco-style

Risotto alla Milanese (local marrow and stock)

2004 Il Poggione Brunello di Montalcino

Locally made peppermint patties (dark chocolate-covered peppermint fondant, sprinkled with crystallized mint)

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

We went out for our celebratory dinner on Saturday, I have a long day of work on Wednesday. Perhaps take-out pizza and chocolate!

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Ribeye, baked potato with all the fix’ns and fennel braised in Sambuca and toasted fennel seeds.

We rarely have sweets.

Sounds delish. So, I now have Sambuca on my shopping list. Can you say more about the braised fennel? Will you do it in the CSO? And how much Sambuca?

• Like 1

I forget the origin of the recipe and it is a bit more elaborate than what I do now.  For 1/2 a fennel:  Basically I toast some fennel seeds then crush them, about 1/2 teaspoon.  I layer thickly sliced fennel on a buttered dish that holds the fennel in one layer.  I sprinkle on the fennel, salt, and pepper.  Then pour on about 1/4 cup Sambucca and about 1/2 cup chicken stock.  Dot with butter and put in a 375 oven or CSO.  Bake until tender.  Then I crank the temp to make sure the fennel is browned a bit and the liquid is reduced.  That’s a rough guide.  Just check it while roasting and adjust as necessary.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well, my husband is in Mexico and I am not. When I was meal planning for this week, I totally forgot about Valentine's Day. I had planned on making pulled pork quesadillas for my nephew and I - maybe I will make them heart shaped!

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

@Okanagancook, to WHICH Mozza Cookbook are you referring? (On Thriftbooks, I find 8 ! )

Eat Your Books is your friend:  it shows only one book by the name that @Okanagancook mentioned, The Mozza Cookbook and it does indeed list the recipe you've been discussing: Pan-roasted pork chops with olives and Sambuca-braised fennel. Not only that, but the recipe is available online.  The EYB link is broken but I was able to get it via the wayback machine.  

Give it a while to load, it's rather slow: https://web.archive.org/web/20150315094608/http://cookstr.com/recipes/pan-roasted-pork-chops-with-olives-and-sambuca-braised-fennel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I try not to get too fancy for Valentine's Day dinner, lest my Significant Eater start to expect fancy all the time!

IMG_1469.thumb.jpeg.f4c8fd484063a7b17d4b2fa264aa6b56.jpeg

So I made some Spanish "soupy" rice, with a hint of chorizo and a few shitake mushrooms I had in the fridge.

IMG_1471.thumb.jpeg.d433ad4252a011868ce4a94a5bad4858.jpeg

I also "just happened to have" some beautiful Hokkaido scallops, and wild Gulf shrimp, which both received the treatment in the pan.

IMG_1472.thumb.jpeg.81ee752d1806f844c1fcfa6e65f2e244.jpeg 

Shrimp and Hokkaido scallops plated atop the Spanish rice.  Served with Frenched green beans, cooked in my usual way (i.e.: with butter, olive oil, and a little stock).

• Like 5
  • Delicious 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I’m not the only one who breaks out a clay pot on Valentine’s Day?

Here’s clay pot braised mushrooms and tofu with a side of pork tenderloin. If my beloved hadn’t have broken her elbow (surgery is today) it would have been a little more festive, but she appreciated it all the same!

IMG_0400.thumb.jpeg.c391d5194645397a216b54d2a3e3f5c9.jpegIMG_0402.thumb.jpeg.77dfe206b5f2fc6f517e7aa4ca99133e.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2