• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day Dinner

Joanc

2 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Going out for Valentine’s Day is for suckers.

Right?!!

Usually we'll order pizza or fried chicken and put on a movie, but spouse has a course that day till late. So dinner for me will be a couple glasses of wine or cocktails (or - let's be honest - both!). 

If I can get some decent liver, maybe liver & onions. He hates liver.

• Like 3

I have a small prime rib thawing out.  Should have done that earlier so it could age a bit in the fridge.  Oh well.  Also bought some halfway decent strawberries yesterday.  Not sure what I'll do with them, but they are red.......

so...… next year same story.

John leaves tomorrow for ice climbing.  He had to wake up early (10:00 EST) for a therapeutic phlebotomy.  Went to "nap" at 16:30 EST. I'm sure he won't wake up until tomorrow but not sure when.

There is his gluten-free pasta ready to reheat; I thawed some shrimp to saute and also roasted some red and yellow grape tomatoes with olive oil, garlic and capers.

Just had a big dinner salad.

Because of weather conditions tomorrow he may not leave until later so he can have his pasta and shrimp.  

I am craving some of the ragu Bolognese I made on Monday...…  works for me.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

A friend just sent me her menu. They were gonna be here but work intervened. He is in LA. Mr Meat & Potatoes. She is planning shrimp, caeser salad and garlic bread. Love bugs but life is not always plannable! 

I love Valentine’s Day and usually make a big deal out of it - cooking a special meal. I even decorate most years. But I’ve been so sick this year that I don’t even have our house  undecorated from Christmas yet. I had a nice meal planned with scallops with miso mustard sauce and some nice things to go with it, but I don’t think that’s gonna happen. Not sure exactly what we’re gonna do, depends so much on any given day.  I do not have a serious illness, don’t wanna worry anybody! It’s just been a series of aggravating things first a virus, then an infection, and now it turns out that I’m anemic. 🙄

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Sad 5

On 2/11/2020 at 4:53 PM, scubadoo97 said:

Going out for Valentine’s Day is for suckers.  I usually cook at home for that holiday.  I’ll be bachloring  it solo as my wife is at a sewing retreat.   Probably will make something she doesn’t like 

Valentine's Day in general is for suckers, but when one is in a relationship with a person much less cynical than oneself, one makes a nice dinner, at the very least. In her benevolence and understanding, Ms. Alex granted me permission to play pickleball on Friday night, so Saturday will probably be a seafood melange (lobster tail meat, Gulf shrimp, scallop) in a tarragon-butter sauce, pan-roasted Brussels sprouts, and oven-roasted potatoes.

ETA: Sprouts will be finished with dill and Maldon salt. Potatoes will be seasoned with kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, Hungarian paprika, and piment d'Espelette. Wine will be a new-to-me chardonnay from Argentina..

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Like 5

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I called the local upscale and the Vons affiliate to check on King crab legs. $48/lb for the big back legs at the first. Other guy hung up on me - busy I guess.  We shall see. Serious Eats is doing a break up food series - somewhat amusing. . 

We had ours a day early, because tomorrow we'll be celebrating the arrival of a new granddaughter. Sadly this will transpire in far-off Alberta, so barring an unexpected lottery win* or something, we won't get to see her while she's still got that "new baby smell."

Dinner was a favorite of my GF, salmon with basmati, steamed rice and Hollandaise.

*Unexpected because I don't play the lottery...

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

51 minutes ago, heidih said:

I called the local upscale and the Vons affiliate to check on King crab legs. $48/lb for the big back legs at the first. Other guy hung up on me - busy I guess.  We shall see. Serious Eats is doing a break up food series - somewhat amusing. . 

Any way of getting to Costco?  That's where we got ours last year and they were wonderful.  I'm seeing them on the Costco website at $31/lb.  

4 minutes ago, chromedome said:

We had ours a day early, because tomorrow we'll be celebrating the arrival of a new granddaughter. Sadly this will transpire in far-off Alberta, so barring an unexpected lottery win* or something, we won't get to see her while she's still got that "new baby smell."

Dinner was a favorite of my GF, salmon with basmati, steamed rice and Hollandaise.

*Unexpected because I don't play the lottery...

Sorry you all won't be able to get your hands on her right away, but congratulations!  

• Like 1

We are going to have a Cornish Game Hen.  Will use Eat Your Books for a recipe.

I have some nice mushrooms which I will stuff.

I have leeks which I will make from a Julia Child or Jacques Pepin recipe.

Salad to finish the meal.

Pineapple ice cream made yesterday for dessert.

To start....Some bubbly from our fav winery...Blue Mountain in the Okanagan.  With some smoked oysters and bruschetta to go with or may be just good potatoes chips...Lucy Waverman’s favourite accompaniment to bubbly.

A Chablis to go with the main.

That’s all I got so far.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

25 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

We are going to have a Cornish Game Hen.  Will use Eat Your Books for a recipe.

I have some nice mushrooms which I will stuff.

I have leeks which I will make from a Julia Child or Jacques Pepin recipe.

Salad to finish the meal.

Pineapple ice cream made yesterday for dessert.

To start....Some bubbly from our fav winery...Blue Mountain in the Okanagan.  With some smoked oysters and bruschetta to go with or may be just good potatoes chips...Lucy Waverman’s favourite accompaniment to bubbly.

A Chablis to go with the main.

That’s all I got so far.

How long you reckon it takes to get from Virginia to British Columbia? LOL.  I even have a niece in Abbotsford that I can stay with! 😁  All sounds wonderful (except the fungal part) and, for some reason, the ice cream is calling to me more than anything else.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I had purchased a small jar of Penzey’s Za’atar Seasoning some time ago, but had not used it. I was attracted to @David Ross’s Super Bowl recipe for Za’atar-spiced Fries and Creamy Chermoula Dipping Sauce. So, fries and dip will be our appetizer tonight.

For our main, we will share a 10 oz. Filet Mignon (Sous Vide and finished on the Grill) with a Garlic Herb Compound Butter and Lemon-Dill Green Beans.

The dipping sauce has been made and is in the fridge; the butter is softening in a bowl on the counter; next up will be the dressing for the green beans.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

I had purchased a small jar of Penzey’s Za’atar Seasoning some time ago, but had not used it. I was attracted to @David Ross’s Super Bowl recipe for Za’atar-spiced Fries and Creamy Chermoula Dipping Sauce. So, fries and dip will be our appetizer tonight.

For our main, we will share a 10 oz. Filet Mignon (Sous Vide and finished on the Grill) with a Garlic Herb Compound Butter and Lemon-Dill Green Beans.

The dipping sauce has been made and is in the fridge; the butter is softening in a bowl on the counter; next up will be the dressing for the green beans.

Thanks so much.  I started using Za'atar regularly about a year ago.  We have a company in Spokane, Spiceology, that blends a very good Za'atar.  Most of their line is sold in local grocery stores and kitchen shops.  I think that's a great start for your dinner.

• Like 2

When I asked Mrs. Porthos  what she wanted for a Valentine's Day dinner she requested meat loaf. So the traditional meat loaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans it is.

• Like 6

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

This isn't directly related to Valentine's Day Dinner, but I thought you might enjoy this vintage card that my parents saved.  I'm not sure which one saved it, but Mother and Father left us a treasure trove of Valentine's cards.  This one dates to about 1932 when they were both 6 years old.  I'm thinking it could be printed off this page and snipped out to make a new card for your Valentine for dinner or with chocolates.

Vintage Valentines Cards.jpeg

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, David Ross said:

This isn't directly related to Valentine's Day Dinner, but I thought you might enjoy this vintage card that my parents saved.  I'm not sure which one saved it, but Mother and Father left us a treasure trove of Valentine's cards.  This one dates to about 1932 when they were both 6 years old.  I'm thinking it could be printed off this page and snipped out to make a new card for your Valentine for dinner or with chocolates.

Oh my - adorable.  I am about to send my kid a pic of something he gave me years ago. I am sometimes too quick to divest. Glad I saved it. Unexpected guests on the way - I better hustle. thankfully salmon, shrimp, and spinach in fridge. and good rice and a loaf of country bread around. People!

• Like 3

On 2/13/2020 at 12:40 PM, Alex said:

Valentine's Day in general is for suckers, but when one is in a relationship with a person much less cynical than oneself, one makes a nice dinner, at the very least. In her benevolence and understanding, Ms. Alex granted me permission by to play pickleball on Friday night, so Saturday will probably be a seafood melange (lobster tail meat, Gulf shrimp, scallop) in a tarragon-butter sauce, pan-roasted Brussels sprouts, and oven-roasted potatoes.

I didn't said Valentine’s Day was for suckers, just the going out for dinner part.  And I was cynical because I love to cook and cooking for someone you care about is an expression of love and sincerity. 

My wife is at a week long sewing trip with some very talented people the whole week, doing what she loves    And I give her her time to do what she loves.  Just like she does for me when travel to Kentucky to buy barrels of bourbon or hanging with my bourbon friends in different parts of the world or traveling to buy barrels of Armagnac in France. 

its always a balance 

I should edit that my wife was with me in France when doing Armagnac barrel picks as was several other wife’s.  We always respect their participation and palate 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1

22 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

I didn't said Valentine’s Day was for suckers, just the going out for dinner part.  And I was cynical because I love to cook and cooking for someone you care about is an expression of love and sincerity. 

I didn't say you said that; I was just expressing my own opinion.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

24 minutes ago, kayb said:

@chromedome -- Many congratulations on the new grandbaby! What a great Valentine for y'all!

Yeah, we're pretty pleased. She checked in this afternoon at around 1 my time, a healthy 6 lbs 1 oz despite being a few weeks early. Still waiting on name and photos, but other grandma (who of course is equally unbiased) assures us she's "perfect."

• Like 8

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, kayb said:

@chromedome -- Many congratulations on the new grandbaby! What a great Valentine for y'all!

@scoodyboo -- I am impressed by a man who buys bourbon by the barrel.

Kay it’s been a fun ride.  Buying barrels of bourbon over the last 10 yrs and more recently barrels of Armagnac have been an amazing experience.    A bunch of good guys who have a great time together.  Wife's always included.  Always better to include significant others in our jollies.  “Happy wife, happy life”

we are looking at a venture in wine country for our 10th anniversary of the group.  Wife’s and SO’s always included.  Should be fun.  One of our members has a winery in Napa. He worked with Rivers Marie before starting his own winery.   

I’ll be hosting a member at my home in the next couple of weeks.

it’s always like family but better.  How can I show them a good time while there’re here.   They would do the same 

it’s been very enriching except for my liver, who has yet complained

🤞

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Little whosit, name still TBD.

45435010_littlebobcat.jpg.6635d4fa4ba2589198f8b7afd2369be3.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1