• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day Dinner

Joanc

On 2/15/2016 at 0:49 PM, HungryChris said:

Found some fresh gulf shrimp today. These were U-8's. Biggest I have ever stuffed. Deb loved them, but I think U-10's are about as big as stuffed shrimp should be. She marched through all three, but I only managed 2. Put a couple in the freezer for steak and shrimp down the road.

So you don't want to try something like these? :P

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

On February 13, 2016 at 7:28 PM, Anna N said:

I was always of the opinion that buying your own gift was much more satisfactory than being incredibly disappointed.   It takes only one vacuum cleaner on Valentine's Day tied with a red ribbon to confirm my suspicions.

Absolutely. My husband once gave me a mailbox for my birthday. Admittedly we were in process of building a new house in a very rural area so a mailbox on the road was a necessity. But for my birthday?! :S I must admit that 30 years later I have never allowed him to forget it. It has actually become a running family joke. At least I think of it as a joke. :P (And there wasn't even a nice surprise present inside after I unwrapped it.) 

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

1 hour ago, haresfur said:

I would love to try those, but just not stuffed.  I also have a thing about prawns (which usually means fresh water) and I am more comfortable with gulf shrimp. A lot of prawns are raised in questionable conditions ( raised by eight year olds down stream from the battery factory) in Asia.

• 2 years later...

So it's THAT day again.

I'm making John pasta with sautéed shrimp, olives and pesto.

I'm having stewed tomato with cheese toasties.

Chocolate mousse for him for dessert.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We're just going out to the local buffet, because my sweetie's taking her monthly sabbatical from the keto diet and that's what she's been craving. 

We're doing the smoked-salmon variation on eggs benny for brunch, though. She and her (now-) ex used to come to my restaurant for it, back in the day, and now it's one of our go-to dishes for special occasions. Back then I made it with house-cured gravlax, instead, but curing a whole fillet for just the two of us would be just a titch extravagant. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 7:25 PM, ElainaA said:

Absolutely. My husband once gave me a mailbox for my birthday.

Once I got a (replacement) laundry tub for my birthday.  Admittedly it was at my request.  It was a bit of a job for the non-handyman husband but it turned out beautifully.  The only hitch was getting rid of the decades old tub which was made of concrete.  I won't give away his secret since he didn't get caught at it.

• Haha 1

Wawa chicken salad hoagie for him, thai chicken wrap for me, with kettle chips...sitting in Newark airport. Perhaps some tacos tonight in Austin!

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

The menu:

Steak – sous vide (my first attempt - wish me luck)

King Crab legs w/ ghee (I've never tasted these)

Brussels sprouts – roasted in bacon grease and topped w/ bacon and goat cheese

Green salad

Baguette

Pastries and chocolate covered strawberries (purchased at Wegmans)

We never go out anymore - even good restaurants seem to serve rubbish on Valentine's Day, at least in our area.  So we stay home and cook something easy and often in our pajamas!  We are lucky because at almost 35 years of marriage, we are still pretty romantic.  We always mark Valentine's day and our anniversaries.  I can almost guarantee that Mr. Kim will walk through the door with flowers.  This year, we've all agreed NO candy.  We still have Christmas candy around the house and are trying to lose weight.  But there will be some little sweet gifts to each other.  I am giving him a framed photo of the two of us all dressed up for my sister's wedding a couple of years ago (I have a half sister less than one year older than our daughter).

• Like 3

I'm making tacos for three... me, myself and I. That way there will be lots of tacos for me. :D Nothing to do with Valentine's Day, just in the mood for tacos.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

8 hours ago, suzilightning said:

So it's THAT day again.

I'm making John pasta with sautéed shrimp, olives and pesto.

I'm having stewed tomato with cheese toasties.

Chocolate mousse for him for dessert.

I lied... made bucatini with black olives and red sauce for me.....also red leaf lettuce salad for both...IF he wakes up.  The vampire is back and he finally went to bed at 0600.  Got up about 1300.  Went back down about 1500.   

Should be interesting to see when he leaves to head up to the Adirondacks for ice climbing for the long weekend.  I tell people we bed share - I sleep from 2300 to 0700 and he sleeps from 0500(or so) until 1200.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 2/18/2016 at 10:25 PM, ElainaA said:

Absolutely. My husband once gave me a mailbox for my birthday.

My late wife's ex-husband once gave her a chainsaw for Christmas. A powder-blue Lady Husqvarna. That was 15 years before I knew her, and apparently it still rankled. She said the only reason she didn't use it to cut his Corvette in half was that she enjoyed driving it too. It seems he genuinely thought of it as a romantic gift, and had visions of her limbing out the trees he felled. You know...a togetherness, couples kind of thing. Doing stuff together. That's how it's supposed to work, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I'm having fruit. Liquid fruit. Grapes, to be precise. 

It's been a helluva day.

My Valentine, Lucy the pug, is asleep on my feet. I may break out some cheese and charcuterie later on. Life ain't bad.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

17 hours ago, chromedome said:

My late wife's ex-husband once gave her a chainsaw for Christmas. A powder-blue Lady Husqvarna. That was 15 years before I knew her, and apparently it still rankled. She said the only reason she didn't use it to cut his Corvette in half was that she enjoyed driving it too. It seems he genuinely thought of it as a romantic gift, and had visions of her limbing out the trees he felled. You know...a togetherness, couples kind of thing. Doing stuff together. That's how it's supposed to work, right?

Sounds perfectly Canadian to me. Could cut ice fishing holes too, in a pinch.

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Sounds perfectly Canadian to me. Could cut ice fishing holes too, in a pinch.

Californian, actually. She grew up in Huntington Beach. :)

Though at the time of the infamous chainsaw incident she and her then-hubby lived in the Sierras, if that's any help. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Californian, actually. She grew up in Huntington Beach. :)

Though at the time of the infamous chainsaw incident she and her then-hubby lived in the Sierras, if that's any help. 

So...um...do you know for a fact that the chain saw wasn't used on the then-hubby?

• Haha 1

LOL Yes, as it happens. She did have a hot temper though, and smashed a few of my things with a hammer.

Her ex passed away while she and I were together. Went to the hospital after a minor heart attack, and while they were doing an echocardiogram the ultrasound tech noticed a mass adjacent to his heart...and another one in his lung...and another one, and another one...turned out he was riddled with cancer, and died a week later.

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Sad 4

We don't particularly celebrate Valentine's Day since after 40 years we are still dating. However, my DW asked for a special dinner Saturday evening. She purchased read-made Lobster bisque. I made a large rib-eye steak cooked medium rare in butter and olive oil in my trusty Griswold #8, asparagus with mayo, and saffron rice using a James Beard recipe. It was a very nice meal.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

22 hours ago, Porthos said:

We don't particularly celebrate Valentine's Day since after 40 years we are still dating. However, my DW asked for a special dinner Saturday evening. She purchased read-made Lobster bisque. I made a large rib-eye steak cooked medium rare in butter and olive oil in my trusty Griswold #8, asparagus with mayo, and saffron rice using a James Beard recipe. It was a very nice meal.

The meal sounds delightful, as does your attitude. My parents were still very cuddly and smooch-y right up to the end (my dad passed away of cancer in the middle of their 55th year together), and they still spent most of their time alone together very happily in their little country retreat. Their reasoning, as explained by my mom, was "we didn't get married to spend time apart" so once my father left the navy they seldom did. 

• Like 4

• 11 months later...

Not my favorite holiday. Detest pink and red is almost ok.  BUT it is a day where many pull out all the stops and it is this coming Friday. Anyone mulling over a cool menu? 

Funny how it has turned into a self indulgence day for some of us. Which I applaud! My kid is n NYC so asking him to check out some off Broadway for me. My friends and I are thinking cravings and Hallmark sappy movies. Local Thai and Chinese and not sure on the sweets. OR...fire pit and marshmallows