• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day Dinner

Joanc

^ green chile cheese steak sandwiches... yum, that sounds good.  Are they basically a philly cheese steak with roasted green chiles???  What meat cut and what cheese?

Have a nice one!

a big bunch of roasted New Mexican chiles (you can use Anaheim but they are not hot and to me disapointing) peeled and chopped then cooked with some chicken broth and a little cumin and part of a beer ...cook this down uncovered until all the liquid is just about gone ..then I put some cream in it and lot of big chunks of Tillamook sharp cheddar mixed with Tillamook Jack this all makes a really thick creamy cheese green chile sauce to put on your sandwich ...take a nice piece of sirloin ..salt and pepper it well then sear it good and take it off rare.. ..slice really micro thin pile it high ona buttered/garlic toasted sourdough roll and dump the chile on top ..

My husband loves this meaty sandwich and I love him :wub:

I hope you try this!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

^ green chile cheese steak sandwiches... yum, that sounds good.  Are they basically a philly cheese steak with roasted green chiles???  What meat cut and what cheese?

Have a nice one!

a big bunch of roasted New Mexican chiles (you can use Anaheim but they are not hot and to me disapointing) peeled and chopped then cooked with some chicken broth and a little cumin and part of a beer ...cook this down uncovered until all the liquid is just about gone ..then I put some cream in it and lot of big chunks of Tillamook sharp cheddar mixed with Tillamook Jack this all makes a really thick creamy cheese green chile sauce to put on your sandwich ...take a nice piece of sirloin ..salt and pepper it well then sear it good and take it off rare.. ..slice really micro thin pile it high ona buttered/garlic toasted sourdough roll and dump the chile on top ..

My husband loves this meaty sandwich and I love him :wub:

I hope you try this!

This is next on my list---sounds SOOO good

Everything looks marvelous!!!

I've never encountered a preggie prawn, so to speak---where were they and how did you do the extraction? (trying to feature a nursery in there somewhere).

Our day was quiet---pink goodie bags for everyone, early morning and some through the day as they came in, then Chris and I tried for l'Homard Rouge, but the parking lot and SRO were daunting, so we came back for a lovely quiet booth at our neighborhood Mandarin grill.

A lovely book, the new Jane Austen DVD, and still lots of Godiva goodies hanging around :wub:

Everything looks marvelous!!!

I've never encountered a preggie prawn, so to speak---where were they and how did you do the extraction?  (trying to feature a nursery in there somewhere).

Our day was quiet---pink goodie bags for everyone, early morning and some through the day as they came in, then Chris and I tried for l'Homard Rouge, but the parking lot and SRO were daunting, so we came back for a lovely quiet booth at our neighborhood Mandarin grill.

A lovely book, the new Jane Austen DVD, and still lots of Godiva goodies hanging around :wub:

Awwwww sounds GREAT Rachel!

The roe is attached to the underside of the prawn. I used my fingers to gently pull the eggs off. They kind of came off in clusters.

I meant to ask---were the prawns already cooked when you did the roe-remove? I understand the canned caviar---it MUST have some sort of cooking process, but if you bought the prawns raw, were the eggs the gray-green of uncooked shrimp, turning the lovely rose when they cooked?

They are absolutely gorgeous, and the photo is magnificent.

I can look on and admire and marvel, though I don't care for the taste. The picture is a feast for the eyes, though.

I meant to ask---were the prawns already cooked when you did the roe-remove?  I understand the canned caviar---it MUST have some sort of cooking process, but if you bought the prawns raw, were the eggs the gray-green of uncooked shrimp, turning the lovely rose when they cooked?

They are absolutely gorgeous, and the photo is magnificent.

I can look on and admire and marvel, though I don't care for the taste.  The picture is a feast for the eyes, though.

No, I hadn't cooked the prawns yet. The roe is that gorgeous color all on it's own. I didn't know if I'd like it or not, but each tiny egg, when bitten into, tasted like a fresh burst of briny sea with a hint of shrimp (if that makes sense).

I got together with a friend and we adapted a Dooky Chase recipe- Shrimp Clemenceau- by adding a little shrimp stock in lieu of some of the butter and spicing it a little more with cayenne and hot sauce!

Green salad on the side with toasted pecans, orange segments, crumbled soft goat cheese and a balsamic Dijon vinaigrette.

That shrimp roe looks incredible! Along with all the other dishes on the thread that involved more preparation...... :smile:

A bottle of Tattinger, accompaniments tbd.

Accompaniments:

-Seared scallops w/ blood orange butter sauce and navel orange segments

-Salmon w/ lime-ginger-garlic rub, redskins w/butter and parsley, roasted asparagus w/truffle oil

-Palazzolo's Tahitian vanilla gelato w/strawberries and Callebaut chocolate sauce

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 11 months later...

Went to the grocery store and spent $120 last night. I live in a really backwards place, but our store has moved on past our collective consciousness and is stocking some neat stuff, most of which sits and gets moldy/expired, I managed to rescue a couple of things on the verge of going bad: a budda hand, fresh ham hocks, fresh water chestnuts, lemongrass (yeah, I know, where is this, you say), batatas, mirin, octopus. I am making dinner with the results, a plan is on the verge of forming, I have the hocks in the griswold stuffed inside some chipotle and garlic, on some onions and shallots. A tart dough. Some lobster/shrimp butter.

Anybody interested in sharing their plans for cooking with/for their honeys?

OK, I'll bite :-)

From a recent Food&Wine magazine:

Roasted Squash Soup with Maple-Glazed Bananas (soup made yesterday)

Rib Eye Roast with Chestnuts and Brussle Sprout Leaves

Goat Cheese Cheesecake with Honeyed Cranberries (cheese cake done already)

I might cut the roast in half as it's rather big for us - or I might make it all and have yummy sandwich meat :-)

I made the cheese cake(s) in 4 1/2 inch spring forms instead of a larger one, just for fun. Everything that can be done in advance is ready, not that I'm usually that organized. Still some work left, but most of it should be relatively quick. Still have to write out the plan so I don't forget things down the road ;-)

Happy V-day!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Kickin' it old school here in KC....

Spinach Salad w/Warm Bacon Dressing

Caramelized onions w/nicoise olives and anchovy on top of baguette

Mashed potato casserole w/bacon and smoked gouda

Prime beef filet topped with a morel marsala sauce

and for dessert.......Bananas Foster

And after dinner, we'll probably watch Chocolat.....or the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre....we really haven't decided yet.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Last weekend, I did a big ol' Southern veggie thing... collards, field peas, scalloped 'maters, creamed corn and corn bread. It was all SO good!

Today, my craving was for seafood. So, our V-day dinner will be:

Steamed hopper shrimp that were swimming in Apalachicola Bay yesterday. They went straight into the pot when I got home from the market.

Blue crab claws (cocktail fingers), also from the Bay (waiting for their quick sizzle)

Remoulade and cocktail sauce for the sea critters.

French fries (first fry has been done and they're waiting in the fridge)

Broccoli slaw (mellowing in the fridge now)

Plant City strawberries and vanilla ice cream (gotta go do up the berries now)

OK, I'll bite :-)

From a recent Food&Wine magazine:

Roasted Squash Soup with Maple-Glazed Bananas (soup made yesterday)

Rib Eye Roast with Chestnuts and Brussle Sprout Leaves

Goat Cheese Cheesecake with Honeyed Cranberries (cheese cake done already)

I might cut the roast in half as it's rather big for us - or I might make it all and have yummy sandwich meat :-)

I made the cheese cake(s) in 4 1/2 inch spring forms instead of a larger one, just for fun. Everything that can be done in advance is ready, not that I'm usually that organized. Still some work left, but most of it should be relatively quick. Still have to write out the plan so I don't forget things down the road ;-)

Happy V-day!

I saved those pages and have been thinking it ... please let us know how things turn out!

A friend and I made dinner for the wives, our son and their daughter. We did surf and turf: tenderloin and shrimp. The good store near them had tenderloin on sale and the large shrimp looked very good. Our wives like tenderloin a lot even though it's not our favorite cut, so we went for it. Started out with a mozzarella and tomato salad, olives, bread and a few other snacks. Then tenderloin (grilled just with salt, pepper and olive oil) and shrimp (sauteed with butter, garlic and parsley), oven-roasted potato wedges, sauteed mushrooms, a green salad with mustard vinaigrette, and a '97 Brunello. Assorted purchased chocolates and pastries for dessert.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

We purchased at Corrados in Wayne NJ a nice Pair of Prime boneless Rib eye (Club) Steaks, and 2 - 8oz Lobster Tails. The butcher did offer to crack into a 12 wk dry aged Poterhopuse for me for the same as the porterhouse in the case...12.99 per pound but its really not my favorite cut. It did look pretty cool and funky though. A few baby potatoes and desserts from Gary's Wine were to be dinner

gallery_23695_426_258214.jpg

After getting a better look at these we have decided to eat the lobster for breakfast :raz:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I swear I posted again earlier, somehow it got lost in the merge.

Some hits and misses, the fresh ham hock had the wife a little upset, I wasn't thrilled with it (as was expecting something better to happen to the skin after braising then roasting), I should have done some more research on batatas, though it was a passable mash, and next time I'll remember to make a chocolate dessert! I made a good soup with lobster, tomatoes, water chestnuts, carrots, that was the star, the octopus turned out pretty well too. I also made a decent creme from the budda's hand, some lime juice and a basic creme recipe minus the vanilla.

Oh, that's right, it is Valentine's Day. Since three of the five of us had the stomach flu, it was broth and saltines for those who could even stand to eat. Peter and I had spicy ramen noodles, which we followed with some Dove chocolates. The three sick puppies are all tucked into bed with trash cans and towels at the ready (also leaving bathroom lights on).

So, I'm thinking my dinner plans for tonight -- grilled chuck eyes, a potato gratin and green beans and a salad will wait until tomorrow -- or Monday night.

James Bond kept Peter and I company tonight. Somestimes romance is all about getting broth, and being tucked into bed.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

We decided to have 4 (small) courses this Valentine's Day:

Proscuitto, Fig and Gorgonzola Salad

Spaghetti al tartufo nero

Roast lamb with olive, rosemary and pine nut stuffing, served with caponata

Strawberry compote, rose water infused whiped crea, amaretto biscuit

Hi everyone!!! Thanks for resurrecting this thread. Lots of yummy meals happened yesterday!

Steven: Your surf and turf sounds really good. I didn't get anything ordered in time to have seafood, dang it, but reading back, I see I bought those spotted prawns last year with the roe....gonna have to get more of those. Your mozzarella and tomato salad sounds sooooo good. I'm ready for garden tomatoes!

Tracey: That steak is GORGEOUS.

Lights19: Shepard's pie is something I haven't made for a while. Thanks for reminding me!

Susan: I hope everyone gets to feeling better soon.

iainpb: Ohhhh to have access to figs. I'm jealous.

So, our meal last night was a little different than everyone else. I ordered tamales from the Texas Tamale Warehouse--the best tamales ever imo. We had those along with roasted poblano peppers stuffed with cheese, chili, salsa verde and chips.

I saved those pages and have been thinking it ... please let us know how things turn out!

well, just a quick update, and the pages are from Food&Wine Feb09, they had a menu contest and the recipes are the winning ones.

Roasted Squash Soup with Maple-Glazed Bananas

Rib Eye Roast with Chestnuts and Brussels Sprout leaves

Goat Cheese Cheesecake with Honeyed Cranberries

The soup is very good and rich (1/2 cup creme Fraiche will do that) and quite sweet. I made it the day before and it turned very thick, I added some more water but it was still more of a cream than a soup. Very tasty though and the banana, pecan, maple syrup and watercress garnish was very tasty too. The watercress gave a nice little bite.

I cut my roast in half and ended up with about a 2 inch thick rib steak/roast (a bit over 2lb I'd guess). I made it in some kind of hybrid way, first browned it on relatively low temp, took it out and melted the butter, in goes garlic and thyme, back goes steak. Then it was in the oven at low temp, below 200 until the thermometer showed around 130, then it rested. Turned out delicious, juicy. The chestnuts and Brusselsprouts were also very good, though I'd probably not do the leaves again. Looks very nice (basically using jut the outer leaves, blanched for 20 sec and later added to the pan with the chestnut and Asian pear) but is pretty wasteful as you can't really peel that many leaves off, the core is too interlaced. I'd probably slice them or even roast them instead. It does look very neat though, unusual.

The real winner is the goatcheese cheesecake though, that was very very tasty. Very rich too, the amounts they suggest for serving are probably just fine. I had made mine in 4 1/2 inch spring forms and that was almost a bit much. Half one would have been enough. The honeyed cranberries are excellent (even with frozen ones as I had to use) and the candied orange zest is super delicious too.

All in all a winner in my books. The garlic/thyme butter is a real nice touch, I'll keep that in my repertoire.

At least the cake recipe is online at foodandwine.com, the others I could not find in a quick search.

That was fun, today I might make split pea soup, seems the right thing on a rainy day~~

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog