• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day Dinner

Joanc

A bottle of Tattinger, accompaniments tbd.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Chicken Peanut Butter Curry. It's one of his favorites and he's asked for it. We don't do much for a Valentine's Day celebration because my birthday is a little over two weeks afterwards and I get my big fuss then :biggrin: .

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Chicken Peanut Butter Curry. It's one of his favorites and he's asked for it. We don't do much for a Valentine's Day celebration because my birthday is a little over two weeks afterwards and I get my big fuss then  :biggrin: .

Marcia.

Wait, what is this? Recipe, please! I am intrigued...is it just a curry with some peanut butter thrown in?

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Chicken Peanut Butter Curry. It's one of his favorites and he's asked for it. We don't do much for a Valentine's Day celebration because my birthday is a little over two weeks afterwards and I get my big fuss then  :biggrin: .

Marcia.

Wait, what is this? Recipe, please! I am intrigued...is it just a curry with some peanut butter thrown in?

It's in RecipeGullet . It's pretty much a basic curry with peanut butter, probably nowhere near even approximating authentic anything, but it's delicious and leftovers freeze beautifully.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I was able to order some ice wine online :smile::smile::smile: They must have changed the laws here in Kansas. I have NO idea what I'm doing :unsure: I ordered this:

Covey Run Semillon Reserve Ice Wine

I hope it gets here in time.

I was reminded of Rose Henniker Heaton's prescription in "A Perfect Hostess" 1931 for a menu suitable for Valentines Day; clearly an unsuccessful relationship.

Sole in Aspic

Partridge (shot in the head)

Frozen Passion Fruit

She suggests decorating the table with Rosemary (for rememberance) and love-lies-bleeding.

Since Love-lies-bleeding is Amaranth I guess you could serve the grain or the leaf for those who want a subtle message

Other culinary messages might be curried hearts, or devils on horseback

Happy Valentine

Edited by jackal10 (log)

I don't have a sweetie, but if I did, he'd be making me a hamburger and triple-cooked fries for dinner, and making me some very rich hot chocolate for dessert. I'm a simple girl at heart :smile:

Since it's already Valentine's Day in Japan, I'm stuffing myself with chocolates, pastries, and cookies made by my students. It's good to be loved. :wub:

My fantastic bf and I are having sea scallops with lemongrass sauce, dungeoness crab, some nice cheese, and smoked salmon with creme fraiche and caviar.

(all items chosen by him)

I actually think this meal is kind of corny, but it will be delicious nonetheless.

I think it sounds fabulous!

Edible underwear. (Just to keep it kinda on topic.)

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

iceberg wedge with homemade blue cheese dressing

bacon-wrapped filet

potato gratin

Scharffenberger pots de creme

a good, aged red wine from our cellar (TBD)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

green chile cheese steak sandwiches

Dos Equis (PLURAL)..a shot of Corazón's Reposado ...vanilla ice cream with dulce de leche

the plan is growing as I am sitting here

(maybe even a huge sleeping bag and take it to the beach ..the ice cream will not thaw that is for sure :raz: )

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

^ green chile cheese steak sandwiches... yum, that sounds good. Are they basically a philly cheese steak with roasted green chiles??? What meat cut and what cheese?

Have a nice one!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I just got back from the grocery, where I formulated my menu based on what he likes and what looked good today. So, therefore, tonight's dinner will be:

Caesar salad with homemade croutons and dressing and extra anchovies

Steamed crab legs with butter for him, lemon for me

Red potatoes with butter and rosemary

Snap peas

Champagne

Brownies from a post on the brownie bake-off thread, Layers of Love Brownies, from earlier today.

I just love all of your menus!!! :wub:

I need to know how to make the green chile cheese steak sammies!

I got my monk fish and prawns!!! I'm going to make a shrimp cocktail. Then I have brie wrapped in puff pastry stuffed with sundried tomatoes, roasted asparagus, stuffed potatoes.......

And, champagne!!!

I just love Valentine's Day!

Unfortunately, the spousal unit came down with a stomach bug last night so curry was definitely off the menu. In an effort to make something easily digestible and nutritious, I made a spam and broccoli souffle. It was good, but he just wasn't hungry.

Oh, well, good thing we don't do much for Valentine's Day.

Marcia.

eGullet foodblog

Cook's Illustrated's skillet chicken pot pie. Doesnt look that great, but the flavor was really good and my sweetie loved it. The biscuits( no butter, just heavy cream) were dead simple and really great. Recipe is here. The only changes I made were to cook some fresh carrots in the microwave and add some cooked potatoes( leftover from my morning job of cooking for the seniors).

gallery_25969_665_138684.jpg

The new husband (as of Monday, Feb. 11th!) and I had pan fried steaks with caramelized onions, mashed potatoes, sugar snap peas and yellow cake with chocolate frosting. It's taking everything in my power right now to stop myself from demolishing the rest of the cake, sitting just inches in front of this laptop.

Well, first of all, I didn't get any pictures of the main course--I was too hungry lol. AND my pictures of the wine won't load for some reason :hmmm:

BUT here is the brie

gallery_54689_4781_781091.jpg

AND the gorgeous roe--it was sooooo good. I wasn't sure how to eat it, so I just used crackers :unsure:

gallery_54689_4781_687859.jpg