• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

On February 13, 2016 at 7:28 PM, Anna N said:

I was always of the opinion that buying your own gift was much more satisfactory than being incredibly disappointed.   It takes only one vacuum cleaner on Valentine's Day tied with a red ribbon to confirm my suspicions.

Absolutely. My husband once gave me a mailbox for my birthday. Admittedly we were in process of building a new house in a very rural area so a mailbox on the road was a necessity. But for my birthday?! :S I must admit that 30 years later I have never allowed him to forget it. It has actually become a running family joke. At least I think of it as a joke. :P (And there wasn't even a nice surprise present inside after I unwrapped it.) 

ElainaA

ElainaA

On February 13, 2016 at 7:28 PM, Anna N said:

I was always of the opinion that buying your own gift was much more satisfactory than being incredibly disappointed.   It takes only one vacuum cleaner on Valentine's Day tied with a red ribbon to confirm my suspicions.

Absolutely. My husband once gave me a mailbox for my birthday. Admittedly we were in process of building a new house in a very rural area so a mailbox on the road was a necessity. But for my birthday?! :S I must admit that 30 years later I have never allowed him to forget it. It has actually become a running family joke. (And there wasn't even a nice surprise present inside after I unwrapped it.)