• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Rods Real Pit BBQ

pnapoli

i've been having a real craving for q, lately, maybe because of this miserable weather. anyway, i finally got out to Hot Rods in Mine Hill, NJ, which i'd been meaning to do for some time, and it was well worth the trip!

hot rod's is housed in a bar (Joann's) in a residential neighborhood, but from what i understand, they are 2 separate businesses. walking in, we were immediately greeted by a very friendly young woman and shown to a booth (there are about 7, i'd say, and some tables).

as we perused the menu, our server brought out some of the best cornbread i've ever had, which was served nice and warm with maple butter. for an app, we ordered 'sweet and spicy smoked BBQ wings' (you can order them 'hot' or 'mild', we of course chose 'hot'). boy, were they good. i would say that their own description--'sweet and spicy'--is accurate. the seasoning was similar to jerk seasoning, but not quite as pungent as jerk. they were very moist, not breaded, and quickly disappeared.

i think hot rods' is best known for their dry rubbed ribs, but that night we were craving pulled pork and pulled chicken. you can order platters or sandwiches. sides are an additional $1.80 or so, and we chose hush puppies, cole slaw, and french fries (the menu notes that the fries are fried in 100% peanut oil, which is my favorite). everything was completely delicious.

toward the end of our meal, the owner, Anthony, came over and introduced himself. he asked if it was our first visit, and wanted to know how we'd heard about it and how far we'd come. he was excited when we said 'about 25 miles' and told us that the week before, he'd had customer from as far as hoboken, which really seemed to delight him. he said that he is looking to open in another location and to watch their website for details.

hot rods is open tues - sunday, hours vary by day so check the website. MC and visa accepted. check it out!

Thanks for the writeup here! Sounds like the place would be worth an excursion.

You may not have been paying close attention to this, but what was your take on the saltiness of the food?

I'm on a strict low-salt diet, which makes going out BBQ a problem since that's hard to control in the kitchen. But I keep hoping.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

pnapoli, could you give us an address? When I think Mine Hill I think Rt. 46, am I correct in this? And how would you rate the cornbread in comparison to the delicious corn bread you brought to the egullet pig roast last September?

PS, just in case you think no one gets it: I loved the Pixies.

I am a semi-regular at Hot Rods, and I go mainly for 2 things:

The pulled pork sandwich - ask for the BBQ sauce on the size. For starters the sandwich is HUGE, easily enough to feed two. The pork is the best I have ever had - cooked to perfection - moist and tender - and just the right amount of seasonings - not too much - and add the unique BBQ sauce - HEAVENLY!!!!! I have probalby ordered this 10 times and its been great every time.

Also a recent addition to the menu is the Jambalaya - some of the best I have had anywhere. Shrimp, andoulillia sausage and chicken mellowed in beer over red beans and rice - it is sinfully good. Also a large enough portion to take some home with you.

The wings are great too - they fall off the bone they are so tender. I could never figure out if it was molasses or honey that gives the wings the "sweet" taste, boy are they good!

Get the BBQ Beans as a side also, his granny or someone makes them and they are awesome.

If you like real BBQ this is the place to go. Only drawback is that the entire place is smoking and there is no non-smoking section.

Hot Rod's BBQ

at Joann's

100 Randolph Ave

Mine Hill

if you are headed 46w it is the first light after wharton center and dover general hospital. turn left and it is maybe 1/2 mile on the left

http://www.hotrodsbbq.com/Reviews.htm

cool - link to egullet forums

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

And how would you rate the cornbread in comparison to the delicious corn bread you brought to the egullet pig roast last September?

dbrociner: thanks! but i have to say: no comparison. theirs is much better. (PS: you know the pixies are touring this summer, right? yay.)

For starters the sandwich is HUGE, easily enough to feed two.

i should have mentioned the generous portions. we took home some of both the pork and the chicken.

Only drawback is that the entire place is smoking and there is no non-smoking section.

something else i should have mentioned. but i was surprised at how much this didn't bother me there, since it's usually something i can't stand. i think only one person in the dining area was smoking when i was there, and i wasn't aware of smoke wafting over from the bar. but i guess it depends on what's happening when you're there.

You may not have been paying close attention to this, but what was your take on the saltiness of the food?

ghostrider: this probably isn't much help, but, fwiw, i don't recall the food being particularly salty, and that is probably something that i would have noticed.

Edited by pnapoli (log)

"OK" :shock: Now this is very effin cool. I have to find a way to link like this from my pre-historic website. :sad: I'm there. This is the next dinner. We'll either start or end at The Grill but we're here. I'm up for mid-March.

Anyone?

Edited by Lreda (log)

"OK" :shock: Now this is very effin cool. I have to find a way to link like this from my pre-historic website. :sad: I'm there. This is the next dinner. We'll either start or end at The Grill but we're here. I'm up for mid-March.

Anyone?

Lou--next outing is Fascino 2/26.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Anyone?

march 16th?

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Does anyone else think it would be helpful to have a pinned area, or at least a seperate thread, when an outing is being planned? I didn't know about Monster Sushi or whatever until I rec'd a PM, and had no idea about fascino either. I think there would be a lot more interest, and all have the appearance of being much more welcoming.

Would anyone mind if I started an NJ gullet outings thread, solicited some dates and places and went from there?

( Or perhaps you were hiding from me on purpose? :sad: )

edited to add that I realize you might want to keep it more casual and spontaneous..so whatever the NJ'ers decide...but I promise I won't make it all Burgerclubby with a million rules and regulations..casual, but with a smidgen of organization.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Does anyone else think it would be helpful to have a pinned area, or at least a seperate thread, when an outing is being planned? I didn't know about Monster Sushi or whatever until I rec'd a PM, and had no idea about fascino either. I think there would be a lot more interest, and all have the appearance of being much more welcoming.

Would anyone mind if I started an NJ gullet outings thread, solicited some dates and places and went from there?

( Or perhaps you were hiding from me on purpose? :sad: )

kim

i was just tossing out a date i know i won't be a) working or b) driving to florida.

i think that is a really good idea.

so when are we invading to help you celebrate your new kitchen? :wacko:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

so when are we invading to help you celebrate your new kitchen? :wacko:

HA! Since the underground oil tank has breached, and the septic field is ...soggy...I'm wondering when I will be able to celebrate my kitchen. :shock:

I wholeheartedly agree with Kim...unless someone specifically doesn't want a big group to attend an outing, let's put our social side forward and have a thread for these gatherings! I didn't know about Fascino until this week either.

Snif...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

The Fascino dinner filled up fast as the restaurant could only handle 12 people. Kim--you or anyone are welcome to set up NJ eGullet events. All one has to do is post where, when and how much and how many can be accomodated. Good idea about posting the topic as an event. I just changed the Fascino header and apologize to everyone who would have liked to come. I have a waiting list if you are interested. Also, feel free to set up another event at Fascino or anywhere you would like to go. Lou Reda planned this event so yell at him also! :biggrin:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Lou Reda planned this event so yell at him also!  :biggrin:

No, no yelling..just throwing out some suggestions to make things easier. I'm kinda thinking of a thread that will organize an event, but also fascilitate smaller groups hooking up together for a meal...let's try it and see.

Here it is: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=37170

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Lou Reda planned this event so yell at him also! :biggrin:

Sure, throw me under the bus. In planning the Fascino dinner all we did was follow the thread, suggest a date and the plan it. It was right out there for anyone to see and The Fascino dinner took about 4 days to fill. ANYONE could have joined us. Now I'm planning a egullet dinner at An American Grill for all egulleteers. I will plan this with a wine pairings and a 5 course meal. If someone can move this to the NJ events post I'd appriciate it.

ghostrider: this probably isn't much help, but, fwiw, i don't recall the food being particularly salty, and that is probably something that i would have noticed.

Belated thanks for that response!

That (plus comments on the pulled pork) settles it, I gotta try this place.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 4 months later...

I was SO ready for the area'a best (according to local critics) BBQ joint. After a long search, finally found Joann's Bar, reputedly the home of Hot Rod's BBQ. But, alas, Hot Rod's is no longer there. :sad: !! The good news is that the owner is going to open his own place somewhere on Main Street in Wharton in August. :biggrin: . We'll keep our eyes open, and hopes up, for that happy event.