• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day in NJ

Rosie

Am going to see a matinee showing of Chicago, will likely be doing lunch at Grand Sichuan.

Edited to say: Of course that ain't Jersey...

Edited by =Mark (log)

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I will be attending an immediate-family only wedding in Jersey City (my husband's sister, who decided she couldn't take the stress and chaos of a big wedding!). The 20+ of us have reserved the upper level of Light Horse Tavern for a celebratory dinner afterwards.

Casey

We're going to Martini's in South Amboy. Neither of us have been there.

I've never been to Martini's. The seafood lasagna (see menu on their page) looks good. Have you been there before? Be sure to give us a report and let me know if it is worth a trip. Also, is it BYO?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We're going to Martini's in South Amboy.  Neither of us have been there.

Steakas - was at Martini's several years ago for a V-Day dinner. The specials were recited without prices. When the bill arrived - WHOA - $42 for the osso bucco entree.

They also had a strolling violinist. Lovely touch, but the first time he came by our table (we were a party of 4) we were listening to our waiter recite the specials. Violinist was visibly upset that he could not play for us then. He proceeded to come back three or four different times during the evening to make up for it. :wacko:

We've been back a few times since that dinner, but have not been bowled over.

I hope you have better luck.

BTW, it's not BYO, and their list is ok but pricey.

We are going to The Ryland Inn. Still one of our favorites for special occasions, can't afford it on a regular basis. We go more frequently to The Bistro at Ryland Inn. Much less expensive, casual French Bistro menu, and a live pianist. The only time we didn't enjoy it was on a Friday when we wanted to listen to Bobby Eagon play and a group of mid singles stood around the piano singing. Still, they are allowed to have fun too. I suppose since Chatfield's closed there are not that many places in the area for singles to hang out. I understand Bernard's Inn bar is also popular with singles. I don't know how I got onto the subject of singles. Erase it if you want to.

We are going to The Ryland Inn. Still one of our favorites for special occasions, can't afford it on a regular basis. We go more frequently to The Bistro at Ryland Inn. Much less expensive, casual French Bistro menu, and a live pianist. The only time we didn't enjoy it was on a Friday when we wanted to listen to Bobby Eagon play and a group of mid singles stood around the piano singing. Still, they are allowed to have fun too. I suppose since Chatfield's closed there are not that many places in the area for singles to hang out. I understand Bernard's Inn bar is also popular with singles. I don't know how I got onto the subject of singles. Erase it if you want to.

Actually, Lady S you can start a new topic if you wish--NJ Restaurants For Singles. :biggrin:

Be sure to give us a report on The Ryland Inn.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I have a very hot date...with Jon Stewart (of The Daily Show)! He's at the State Theater in New Brunswick--rescheduled from a December snowfall. What I'm trying to figure out is if there's anywhere we can go for dinner that won't be a V.D. nightmare that night! I'd like to try the Ethiopian place, but even they have a special menu. Sigh...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I was recently at The Frog and the Peach and it was outstanding. See if they have any openings. For something more casual go to Seven Hills of Istanbul in Highland Park. And certainly give us a report--about your dinner that is! :blush:

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Thanks, Rosie, but The Frog and the Peach is NOT an option that night--believe me! But I've been there and completely agree that it's a wonderful spot.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Hey Rosie, thanks for the tip on Amanda's wine lover's dinner on Wed, just made reservations. What a great idea on the restaurant's part. Next thing ya know, restaurants will capitalize and dedicate a whole week to VD.

Thanks, Rosie, but The Frog and the Peach is NOT an option that night--believe me! But I've been there and completely agree that it's a wonderful spot.

Pad Thai inn Highland Park is also good. We recently had hamburgers at Tumulty's Pub and they were ok--not the greatest but the location is good. Harvest Moon Brewer may not be zooey.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Ooooh...thanks for reminding me about Pad Thai; I've been there and enjoyed it. Good option--thank you!

Thanks, Rosie, but The Frog and the Peach is NOT an option that night--believe me!  But I've been there and completely agree that it's a wonderful spot.

It may be difficult to find anywhere that can accomodate you on this Hallmark/florist industry holiday, especially on a Saturday night (double whammy). Sophie's Bistro is casual french at 700 Hamilton Street, Somerset, NJ just outside of NB heading towards the Amwell Valley. The restaurant is about 10 minutes from the theatre. I spoke with the owner yesterday and I think he said he was busy but maybe an early reservation might be possible. Phone: 732-545-7778

Enjoy the comedy of Jon Stewart.

Phil Ward

Edited by Phil Ward (log)
I have never met a miserly wine lover

Hey Rosie, thanks for the tip on Amanda's wine lover's dinner on Wed, just made reservations. What a great idea on the restaurant's part. Next thing ya know, restaurants will capitalize and dedicate a whole week to VD.

Every restauranteur I have spoken with over the past week and a half has said they are booked solid for this evening and consumers are still calling trying to get a res. At least with the option of Friday or Sunday, the consumers have an option of a "weekend" night to dine. Of course, the added bonus this weekend is the long weekend for many due to President's weekend.

Having worked in restaurants, personally, I avoid this night, Easter, Mother's day, etc. for a dining experience.

My advice, stay home, cook a great meal togehter, enjoy a fine bottle of wine, rent a movie you enjoy, .....

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

Following an intimate family wedding in the chapel of St. Peter's Prep in Jersey City, we celebrated the marriage of my sister-in-law at the Light Horse Tavern. I had read mixed reviews on the place, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but was very pleasantly surprised!

The space is stunning, with brick and wood, arches and fireplaces, and wrought iron and tin ceilings. We had the balcony of the restaurant to ourselves (26 of us), which was very nice. They had a special Valentine's Day prix fixe menu for $55pp, which consisted of assorted canapes (walnut and goat cheese tartlettes and smoked salmon with creme fraiche on toast points) and champagne with raspberries followed by three courses. I had a roasted eggplant ravioli with chunks of fresh mozzarella and roasted tomatoes, salmon in a citrus sauce with fresh spinach, and a strawberry feutilette (sp?), which was a wonderfully light heart shaped pastry with roasted or sauteed strawberries and vanilla ice cream. My husband had a sliced duck over wilted greens appetizer, roast loin of pork over black beans and chili peppers, and a semisweet chocolate mousse cake in an oreo crust with semisweet chocolate gelato. Everything was excellent with the exception of the coffee, which was weak (but espresso and capuccino were very good).

This was a very nice way to spend Valentine's Day--good food, good wine and the nicest group of friends and family to be brought together by the new couple. I would return to the restaurant for a "regular" dinner next time we're in the area.

Next weekend, we're finally going to American Grill (last time, as Lou predicted, the snow kept us away). So keep your fingers crossed for no snow on Saturday!

Casey