• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Got Beer?

Susan in FL

My dear sweet husband went to Delaware and brought beer home to me (and food and wine and Rum)!

While he was there he went shopping and got Victory Hop Devil, Storm King Impy Stout, Old Horizontal (a case :wub:), Tuppers Hop Pocket (a case :wub:), Dominion Pale Ale (help me... he couldn't find Millenium), DFH 60 Minute IPA, 90 Minute, and 120 Minute, 2 sixers of the current bottling of Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout, Yards Philadelphia Pale Ale, Otter Creek Stove Pipe Porter, Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout, and Rogue Smoke Ale -- yuk, the Rogue is for him. He got a bottle of DFH Rhum, too. 2004 Big Foot is still on my Wish List, but we can find that here.

He also brought home Chincoteague Oysters, clams from Copp's Seafood, a half-baked Grotto Pizza, a sub from Casapulla's, and scrapple (Rapa and Delaware Maid), and five bottles of wine including two bottles of Muscadet Sevre et Maine which has been difficult to find in this area of Florida. The pizza was gone within an hour of his return home last night and the first beer I drank of course was my favorite beer in the world, Victory Hop Devil. He's now fixing our breakfast of scrapple and oatmeal stout. We also love the Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout with french toast. That will be on the breakfast menu next weekend. And how long has it been since I've had a good stout or porter float, not to mention just some real good beer drinking. We'll be having a do-it-yourself refresher course on beer and food pairings.

Yum, I'm in heaven.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

He's now fixing our breakfast of scrapple and oatmeal stout. We also love the Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout with french toast. That will be on the breakfast menu next weekend.

Beer for breakfast!! woohoo!!!

Born Free, Now Expensive

He's now fixing our breakfast of scrapple and oatmeal stout.  We also love the Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout with french toast.  That will be on the breakfast menu next weekend.

Susan and Russ are two of the very few who understand that beer can be yummy for breakfast.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

i2850.jpg

Yummy it was!

i2851.jpg

And so were the floats... an old favorite of mine, BB Black Chocolate Stout float (with Vanilla Fudge ice cream) :wub:

It was a day of stouts, among other things. We enjoyed the Storm King Imperial Stout with some of the oysters. Also with oysters, we enjoyed the 2002 Muscadet de Sevre et Maine, Les Vergers.

During the afternoon, one of the beers we sampled and loved just to sip on, without food, was the Yards Philadelphia Pale Ale. I couldn't remember if I had this particular Yards beer, back in the day, but this was tasty, crisp and refreshing.

The one thing sampled yesterday that I did not like, on its own, was the Dogfish Head Spiced Rhum. Since Russ paid what he did for it, I tried concealing it in a Mojito. It was drinkable, but I didn't like it as much as my usual Mojitos.

Wow, nice work, Susan! And it sounds incredible! Have you tried the DFH (any of them) as of yet? If so, what did you think?

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

-- Aristophanes (450 BC - 388 BC)

He's now fixing our breakfast of scrapple and oatmeal stout.  We also love the Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout with french toast.  That will be on the breakfast menu next weekend.

Susan and Russ are two of the very few who understand that beer can be yummy for breakfast.

I don't know that the ranks are as thin as you think they are. mmmmm breakfast beer.

You know what's an excellent breakfast beer? A belgian sour ale, like the one that Monk's Cafe here in Philadelphia has brewed for them. Cuts nicely through all the greasy fried meats and eggs and taters and whatnot.

Wow, nice work, Susan! And it sounds incredible!  Have you tried the DFH (any of them) as of yet?  If so, what did you think?

Hi, Chad! Yes, we split a 90 Minute IPA. It's a good beer. It has more malt than I prefer in an IPA, but that's coming from a hard core hophead. I'm not sure if that is because it's an Imperial/Double IPA or if this is unique to this beer. [?] I imagine that beer lovers who aren't such extreme hopheads would say it's well balanced. The best thing about it was the hoppy aroma. It was great! The alcohol taste is there, and it's full of hop flavors, perhaps predominately citrusy, and it has a nice finish.

I've been trying to find out when DFH is coming here, but still don't know. I'll keep you posted... I know you are looking forward to that, too. :smile: I'll let you know about the other two DFHs after we taste them, too.

Whoa! Two more really good beers!

I like the DFH 60 Minute IPA more than the 90. This has less malt balance, which is what I like. It showcases the fresh citrusy hops, and is very drinkable. I could make a habit of this. Now I'm really looking forward to when DFH comes to Florida.

I've never been as big a fan of porters as stouts, but the Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter is so fine. It's toasty and not too sweet, just pleasant, and has hints of chocolate, or maybe coffee. I like the "roastiness."

I don't know that the ranks are as thin as you think they are. mmmmm breakfast beer.

You know what's an excellent breakfast beer? A belgian sour ale, like the one that Monk's Cafe here in Philadelphia has brewed for them. Cuts nicely through all the greasy fried meats and eggs and taters and whatnot.

Yards Saison from Philadelphia makes one HELL of a mimosa, BTW.

And all Oatmeal Stout is good for you, and it's the right thing to do.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Susan - thanks for the reviews! Yes, I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of DFH in FL! I, too, consider myself a hophead - so I can't wait to try these!!

Chad

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

-- Aristophanes (450 BC - 388 BC)

Dominion Pale Ale (help me... he couldn't find Millenium),

Sue,

Russ just missed Millenium. It was bottled last week.

Is it selling fast, Lloyd? The next trip one or both of us make up north will probably be at the beginning of the summer, or end, at the latest. Hopefully our home in DE will be sold soon and we will go up for closing. I'm wondering if we should find a way to get some Millenium before then.

We drank a 120 Minute IPA, and I liked it least of the three, at this point. It really needs age. If it was more affordable, I would get a dozen or so bottles and drink one once a year!