• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another One Bites the Dust

Craig Camp

My cousin, Rick Boyer, was Jekel's winemaker and General Manager. I am proudly biased. But I have long wondered why Brown-Forman, as you point out, Craig, a liquor concern, has anything to do with the wine business. Decisions made at a corporate level, far removed from the vineyard, and, beyond, belying even economic or accounting-sheet common sense, all speak to what is wrong with the seemingly ineluctable and mad rush to consolidation.

I won't go further, though I have much to say. It's a damn shame.

Buy local. Support quality; support artisanal producers who care and have the goods to back it up.

Paul

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Brown-Forman is another conglomerate along with Diageo, Allied Domecq and LVMH who think they can dictate what happens in the market. At my level, I avoid them like the plague. I haven't carried Sonoma-Cutrer since they took over. Their reps used to come to my restaurant and ask why it wasn't there. "Too many other chardonnays", I said. Truth is: I was the first guy in DC to buy S-C, I was the first guy to pour it by the glass. Its boring now after 20 years. Trouble is, to have a "well stocked bar", you have to buy their liquor.

Mark

Brown-Forman is another conglomerate along with Diageo, Allied Domecq and LVMH who think they can dictate what happens in the market. At my level, I avoid them like the plague.

Hear-hear!

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)